Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99
I am personally excited about the potential of Cecchini and Middlebrooks at 3B. While neither may ultimately be an average MLB 3B, I would be willing to give either/both the chance, with the loser being the backup at 1B/3B/PH. The thinking here is if the Brewers were to acquire Gallo, can he play 1B? If Cecchini and Gallo both pan out at 3B and 1B, and with the influx of Arcia, Phillips and Santana, the rebuild could occur quicker than anyone could have anticipated.

Cecchini and Middlebrooks were failures at their past teams and most guys with upside don't get released at positions of a general lack of talent at the MLB level.

At best, they are low risk, low ceiling change of scenery types that could possibly become replacement level starters in MIL.

If I were the Brewers FO, I wouldn't make any trades with Lucroy with those two in mind, since they arent guys who will block anyone with real talent.

They may have been failures at their old spots but they were both highly regarded prospects coming up through the minors. They are both a couple of lottery tickets that have the potential to pay off. Maybe Milwaukee is a place where they can realize their potential.

Nowhere in my original post did I say do not acquire Gallo because of Cecchini or Middlebrooks. I only asked that if one or both turn out could Gallo play 1B.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball Prospectus came out with their Top 101 Prospect list and several of the guys mentioned in this thread were ranked.

Rangers

5. Nomar Mazara, OF

8. Joey Gallo, 3B

15. Lewis Brinson, OF

59. Dillon Tate, RHP

68. Luis Ortiz, RHP

Nationals

3. Lucas Giolito, RHP

13. Tre Turner, SS

29. Victor Robles, OF

75. Reynaldo Lopez

Rays

21. Blake Snell, LHP

52. Brent Honeywell, RHP

54. Willy Adames, SS

84. Taylor Guerrieri, RHP

88. Daniel Roberton, SS

A's

26. Franklin Barreto, SS

45. Sean Manaea, LHP

66. Jacob Nottingham, C

Astros

39. Alex Bregman, SS

55. A.J. Reed, 1B

63. Francis Martes, RHP

85. Daz Cameron, OF

93. Kyle Tucker, OF

DBack's

38. Braden Shipley, RHP

48. Archie Bradley, RHP

72. Brandon Drury, 2B/3B

@WiscoSportsNut

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Baseball Prospectus came out with their Top 101 Prospect list and several of the guys mentioned in this thread were ranked.

Rangers

5. Nomar Mazara, OF

8. Joey Gallo, 3B

15. Lewis Brinson, OF

59. Dillon Tate, RHP

68. Luis Ortiz, RHP

Nationals

3. Lucas Giolito, RHP

13. Tre Turner, SS

29. Victor Robles, OF

75. Reynaldo Lopez

Rays

21. Blake Snell, LHP

52. Brent Honeywell, RHP

54. Willy Adames, SS

84. Taylor Guerrieri, RHP

88. Daniel Roberton, SS

A's

26. Franklin Barreto, SS

45. Sean Manaea, LHP

66. Jacob Nottingham, C

Astros

39. Alex Bregman, SS

55. A.J. Reed, 1B

63. Francis Martes, RHP

85. Daz Cameron, OF

93. Kyle Tucker, OF

DBack's

38. Braden Shipley, RHP

48. Archie Bradley, RHP

72. Brandon Drury, 2B/3B

I would add Minnesota as well:

Twins

#2 - Buxton

#19 - Berrios

#60 - Kepler

#62 - Gordon

Not sure if this makes much sense or not, but with the Rays getting Pearce and Dickerson they have 3 1B and 6 or 7 OF. Would they take Lucroy and Smith or Peralta for Snell, Guerrieri, Betts, and James Loney.

We certainly don't need Loney, but TB may want to dump his salary. TB is pretty smart with their prospects though, so unless they are in a win now mode, I doubt the deal would go through.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

If no one wants to give up something good, I'd rather just keep Luc and roll with him until someone does want to pay the right price. It's a risk, but guys like Max Stassi and Jason Masnarick are not going to do it for me.

Martes would be the most valuable part of the trade. He has very high upside.

SRB, you were totally right about Martes. He is showing up in the 45-65 area on BP and MLB prospect rankings. Nice call.

If no one wants to give up something good, I'd rather just keep Luc and roll with him until someone does want to pay the right price. It's a risk, but guys like Max Stassi and Jason Masnarick are not going to do it for me.

Martes would be the most valuable part of the trade. He has very high upside.

SRB, you were totally right about Martes. He is showing up in the 45-65 area on BP and MLB prospect rankings. Nice call.

Martes has developed into a very good prospect, especially for a guy who was an unknown 18-year old Dominican pitching in Rookie ball that the Astros acquired as a perceived throw-in piece to the Cosart for Moran/Marisnick/comp pick deal. Here is a nice write-up of Francis Martes from Crawfish Boxes.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Martes type transaction is the key to Astros rebuild. They are always mining talents like Hader, Santana, Martes, and plenty more. So when people complain about Stearns & his unknown teenagers...that is one big strategy he brought with him from Houston.

So Rangers have 3 Top 17 prospects....Tate after 20IP is a top 40. Really question package we can get for Lucroy. May need to just take Gallo, Mazara, or Brinson & settle for not too much more.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Martes type transaction is the key to Astros rebuild. They are always mining talents like Hader, Santana, Martes, and plenty more. So when people complain about Stearns & his unknown teenagers...that is one big strategy he brought with him from Houston.

So Rangers have 3 Top 17 prospects....Tate after 20IP is a top 40. Really question package we can get for Lucroy. May need to just take Gallo, Mazara, Brinson & settle for not too much more.

If the Rangers called and offered that package I would accept in an absolute heartbeat.

Gallo, Mazara and Brinson are all top 15 prospects. That would be like adding Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, and Rickie Weeks to your system circa 2006.

IMO there is no way the Rangers are giving us 3 top 15s for Lucroy. If we got 1 plus Tate or Ortiz I'd be thrilled.

That was my bad, forgot to put the or in there. I was say we may have to settle 4 one of those 3 with only 1 or 2 low rookie ball guys tossed in. Think best possible is Brinson & Jurado or Mendez.....doubt Lucroy can get us much more from them

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Get Gallo and Tate, put the better defender of Gallo/Cecchini at 3B and the other at 1B, and along with Arcia, most of the infield is set for the better part of the next decade. It's that easy :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Get Gallo and Tate, put the better defender of Gallo/Cecchini at 3B and the other at 1B, and along with Arcia, most of the infield is set for the better part of the next decade. It's that easy :-)

I wonder if you could do a blockbuster deal for Gallo and Tate. I'd Matuella as well.

The Rangers could use Lucroy and Davis. Maybe have Smith involved, but I'm not eager to deal him.

That would make things interesting.

Hasn't it already been rumored the Brewers want Gallo and the Rangers said no? So cross him off your list...might as well consider Mazara a definite no too. If someone offered a Top 10 prospect we wouldn't get anything else worthwhile. Gallo and Mazara is ridiculous, anyone thinking that is possible needs to come back down to earth. Prett sure Monty said that with sarcasm...but NO, never going to happen.

Maybe we could get Brinson, but even that I find questionable. After that their next best prospects float in the #65 range. I wouldn't mind a deal centered around Tate to be honest. That is probably the best player I could see Texas giving up. Tate and some other solid prospects would be a good trade. Maybe we could get Tate and Ortiz then call it a day.

Blah. Been hearing that something is in the works for awhile now.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braun called Lucroy in wake of Lucroy's comments on rebuild: "I made it clear to him that's not how we're going to handle the situation."

Absolutely love this from Braun.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived