Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99

The other thread has gotten pretty long and unruly. Plus 2 of the 3 "available" have already been dealt.

Mods can kills this if they feel it's repetitive.

Wanted to post a couple ideas for Lucroy trades and see what everyone else thought.

Brewers - Lucroy

Nationals - Victor Robles (5 tool OF, I feel he will be a top 15 prospect by year end), Jackson Reetz (young catcher, has every tool and ok plate discipline with room to grow), Anderson Franco (3B, solid hit tool and big projectable frame), Osvaldo Abreu (impressive plate discipline, can handle SS and 2nd, plus speed)

Brewers - Lucroy

Rangers - Ryan Cordell (3B, Versitile athletic player.solid plate discipline, probably more solid regular than star but seems like a DS type of player), Luis Ortiz (SP, been discussed on here a lot, but big upside starting pitcher), Josh Morgan (SS/3B, quick athletic player, again solid plate discipline), Ti'Quan Forbes (3B but may be able to handle MI or CF, again very athletic player with huge upside)

Brewers - Lucroy

Angels - Of the teams with rumored interest I honestly couldn't come up with anything for the Angels I would be interested in

I keep hoping someone steps up with a good offer for Lucroy this offseason. I think the right deal could push us along pretty quickly in our rebuild.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want a Rangers trade to happen. And I'd love for a package to come together that nets Jurickson Profar as part of the trade but not the centerpiece. This is a perfect time to take a chance on him fulfilling his promise as his value will never be lower (unless he gets injured again and it will be almost nothing). If he plays well in Spring, his price will go up tremendously. Mazara and Brinson would both be nice but I'm not sure what kind of package would be needed to get one of them and Profar.

I agree with you about the Angels. There is not one player in their system I have the slightest interest in. That's gotta be the worst farm in baseball.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rangers - Ryan Cordell (3B, Versitile athletic player.solid plate discipline, probably more solid regular than star but seems like a DS type of player),

Cordell is not a 3B. He's played a total of 33 games in his career at 3B - with 7 errors and an .857 fielding %. He's almost strictly played OF in his career. He also got in 14 games at SS - 6 errors and a .907 fielding %. Texas likes his athleticism, but he's not a 3B or SS.

Until he shows he can handle the IF competently, this is just an experiment - like Cory Hart or Jason Rogers at 3B. Fine things to try out, but not something you want to happen if necessary.

I feel Tampa is a perfect match for us as well. Really Rangers and Rays I feel have the best pieces to aquire.

1) They can offer up a catching prospect in return. Justin O'Conner (#8) who appears to be a pretty solid catching prospect. Chris Betts (#11) is intriguing but reminds me too much of Clint Coulter and may have to move off in future. Nick Ciuffo (#19) is 19 or 20 and has some promise as a catching prospect. Was a former 1st round pick

2) They have some really nice arms to consider. Snell (#2) is a lefty who may have been the best pitcher in all of the minors last season. I wanted Taylor Guierreri (6) really bad coming out of the draft and was very upset we passed on him twice for Jungmann and Bradley. Hasn't been great but still younger and talented. Brent Honeycutt (#3) is young and looks like he could be a very good MLB arm.

3) Exciting young bats who are in advance levels for age. Tampa is very aggressive with young prospects. Willy Adames (#1) 20 in A+, Daniel Robertson 21 in AA, Jake Bauer 20 in AA and is a very underrated, Justin Williams 20 in A+, Kean Wong 20 in A+ and many more....Rodon, Velazquez, Whitley are all really ice looking prospects as well.

4) Arnold knows these players better than anyone so regardless to rank, I should have to deal with people complaining that players national ranks arent better.....Arnold knows exactly were these prospects are with development and potential.

5) 1-30 they are deep! Bauer, Williams, Wong in most systems are top 10-15 prospects they hang out at the bottom in Tampa.

6) Shaffer, Gillespie, and Brett are all decent guys to consider as well

Give me Honeycutt (#3), O'Conner (#8), Jacob Faria (#20), & Jake Bauer (#24) for Lucroy and I'd die of happiness

Don't think Lucroy alone is enough though

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I've closed the previous topic where Lucroy proposals were being discussed. In case anyone wants to continue any previous discussion, here's a link to the last two pages of that thread:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33468&start=440

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I will never, ever understand the fascination some on this board have for Ryan Cordell. He's not a player I would be looking to acquire in a Lucroy trade and I don't think/hope that Stearns would be looking to acquire a player like him in a Lucroy trade either.

I feel Tampa is a perfect match for us as well. Really Rangers and Rays I feel have the best pieces to aquire.

I just don't see Tampa as a fit for Lucroy. While they match up nicely fro the Brewers the Rays are just not a match for Lucroy. Maybe if this were 2-3 years ago then yes the Rays would be a match for Lucroy but not now. Lucroy just does not have enough time left on his contract and he is not that young anymore. After his contract is up the Rays would either have to trade him after this coming season or take the compensation in the draft when he leaves via free agency. This is the deal killer for the Rays as they are going to be looking for someone who is younger than Lucroy and who is going to give them more control and cost less.

The top two teams that I see in having a real interest in Lucroy are the Rangers and the Dbacks. Unless some other team comes out of no where and offers a lot I just do not see any other teams out there that will give up the prospects that the Brewers will want in a Lucroy trade. This is the reason why there hasn't been a trade involving Lucroy to someone there is enough interest in a trade for Lucroy but the teams that are showing interest either do not have the prospects that the Brewers would want or are unwilling to give up the prospects that the Brewers want.

The DBacks make perfect sense with Greinke being there for the long haul. He worked with him in the past and brings another bat to their lineup. Who could we land from them? Going through their prospects there's not much for the pickings.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The DBacks make perfect sense with Greinke being there for the long haul. He worked with him in the past and brings another bat to their lineup. Who could we land from them? Going through their prospects there's not much for the pickings.

With the Dbacks any trade with them and it involving Lucroy starts with Shipley. After that you have a few good but not great prospects with Drury and Dawel Lugo.

Shipley could be a top of the rotation starter or at the very least a #3 type starter. Drury is like a mix between Cirillo and Overbay. He is not going to hit a ton of home runs but he should get a bunch of doubles and if you like a player who puts the ball in play then you will really like Drury. Defensively he is above average at either 2B or 3B his arm plays better at 2B though he can play 3B as he positions himself almost perfectly to negate his below average arm at 3B.

Wei-Chieh Huang is another player I would target from the Dbacks. Another player I like on the Dbacks is Marcus Wilson an athletic CF though he needs a lot of work with his swing as it is rather poor but at 19 years old he has a lot of time to fine tune his swing. If Wilson puts it all together you are looking at a superstar if not probably a 4th or 5th OF.

Twins

C-Jonathan Lucroy

LHP-Will Smith/RHP-Jeremy Jeffress

Brewers

LHP-Tyler Jay

1B-Max Kepler

C-Stuart Turner

RHP-Fernando Romero (Coming of TJ)

Not a scout, just looking at our weaknesses position wise in the system C/1B. I assume one of or both Lara and Gatewood will be moving to 3B.

Brewers - Lucroy

Rangers - Ryan Cordell (3B, Versitile athletic player.solid plate discipline, probably more solid regular than star but seems like a DS type of player), Luis Ortiz (SP, been discussed on here a lot, but big upside starting pitcher), Josh Morgan (SS/3B, quick athletic player, again solid plate discipline), Ti'Quan Forbes (3B but may be able to handle MI or CF, again very athletic player with huge upside)

I agree with others that mention Cordell is probably not a candidate to become a major league 3B, and is not someone I would be all that interested in acquiring.

The only player of the bunch that I would have confidence in eventually becoming a solid major leaguer or better is Luis Ortiz. Even with Ortiz, who I very much like, I worry a little about whether he has put on to much extra weight to his frame during the past year. I realize good baseball players come in all shapes and sizes, but for only being 20 years old Ortiz appears to be somewhat "out of shape". Maybe it is an unfair criticism and doesn't matter since he clearly appears to posses the stuff to be successful. Here is a

to one of his Fall League outings.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Twins

C-Jonathan Lucroy

Brewers

LHP-Tyler Jay

1B-Max Kepler

C-Stuart Turner

Not a scout, just looking at our weaknesses position wise in the system C/1B. I assume one of or both Lara and Gatewood will be moving to 3B.

I could see something along these lines happening. I think Kepler is going to be very good, very soon.

Twins

C-Jonathan Lucroy

Brewers

LHP-Tyler Jay

1B-Max Kepler

C-Stuart Turner

I could see something along these lines happening. I think Kepler is going to be very good, very soon.

I agree this gets to be an interesting deal. I don't know anything about Turner and Romero, but Jay and Kepler would be nice adds. I just think the club have to believe Jay could be a starter. If he's a reliever, I'm not that excited about things.

Arizona gets Lucroy and Smith

Brewers get pitchers Shipley and Archie Bradley, plus 3B Jake Lamb. We also take Aaron Hill and his $12M salary if it helps get the deal done.

Brewers get two good pitcher prospects, plus a 3B who's a decent looking hitter and very good fielder (5 years of control). I don't want Hill, but it's the price of getting three young, controllable players (of course we can skip that part of the deal if AZ is willing to make it happen without Hill, but I doubt it). Arizona would love to free up Hill's salary.

I want Lamb over Drury. I think Lamb is a better fielder and hitter at 3B. The Dbacks would be sacrificing Lamb (no pun intended) and committing to Drury at 3B - but us taking on Hill's contract is the price they have to pay.

D'Backs

RHP Braden Shipley (2)

3B Brandon Drury (5)

LHP Cody Reed (9)

2B Isan Diaz (14)

Nationals

RHP Reynaldo Lopez (3)

RHP Erick Fedde (5)

C Jakson Reetz (8)

3B Anderson Franco (16)

Rangers

OF Lewis Brinson (4)

RHP Luis Ortiz (5)

2B/3B Josh Morgan (11)

C Jose Trevino (27)

Rays

RHP Brent Honeywell (3)

C Justin O'Conner (8)

1B Casey Gillespie (10) or 3B Richie Schafer (11)

RHP German Marquez (25)

(MLB.com rankings)

@WiscoSportsNut

Twins

C-Jonathan Lucroy

Brewers

LHP-Tyler Jay

1B-Max Kepler

C-Stuart Turner

Thanks to both of you for highlighting Kepler -- really interesting prospect! Born in Germany (mother from San Antonio, father from Poland & both are dancers)... played soccer at the youth level for Hertha BSC (soccer club in Berlin, Germany that plays in the country's top-flight league), had a scholarship to play tennis at a high level, but chose baseball. Seems like he must be a natural athlete, given his bloodlines, multi-sport background, & honestly his total # of triples as a MiLB player suggests that he can really run. Add on a really strong BB/K ratio. Yes he's a year or two away from the bigs at this point, but I think if he makes MLB, you're at worst looking at a faster & more athletic version of Lyle Overbay. And if his HR power develops. all of a sudden you could be looking at a 4-5 tool player at 1B.

EDIT: it's also not like Kepler wasn't a well-regarded prospect upon his signing. From his Wikipedia page... "He signed with the Twins in 2009 for US$800,000, the largest signing bonus given by an MLB franchise to a European-born player." Maybe he amounts to nothing, but he's a really interesting prospect to me... pretty unique.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewers - Lucroy

I agree with others that mention Cordell is probably not a candidate to become a major league 3B, and is not someone I would be all that interested in acquiring.

The only player of the bunch that I would have confidence in eventually becoming a solid major leaguer or better is Luis Ortiz. Even with Ortiz, who I very much like, I worry a little about whether he has put on to much extra weight to his frame during the past year. I realize good baseball players come in all shapes and sizes, but for only being 20 years old Ortiz appears to be somewhat "out of shape". Maybe it is an unfair criticism and doesn't matter since he clearly appears to posses the stuff to be successful. Here is a

to one of his Fall League outings.

Yikes what is he doing? BRef lists him at 230 at 6' 3" Seems fangraphs as well. I'd say at 6'3" he's looking like 260-270 in that vid.

He was put on the DL for Fatigue in June. Anyone suppose his diet would be cause of that? I've varied my weight always big a high of 314 and low of 196. Sitting at 240 to start this year. There are foods I've eaten where I feel zapped after an hour or so. You can guess it's the kind that includes donuts or sweets.

I'm so disappointed in seeing this because his draft vids there could be no one higher in regards to his talent than likely me. I threw Felix comps at him though looking now he doesn't possess the Curveball but 6'3" 225 size of Felix is accurate. I'd pause currently at Ortiz and see where he stands mid-season. Obviously, this could be a plus having this kind of concern may make him more available and the talent never ceases is legit. Or you get him and he battles his weight too much to succeed until he wins that battle.

It's so tough to find solid trade proposals. The Brewers have so many OF prospects and have SS covered. 1b and 3b lack in ideal value gets for Lucroy. I'm not for C trades. You look at potential SPs you'd want, and I think teams are going to balk at giving up that tier of talent. You're back to finding diamonds in the rough 18-19year olds who've got a lot of talent, but yet to establish a foothold on legit prospect status. That trade will feel like a kick in the gut the way Lind's trade felt.

It's so tough to find solid trade proposals. The Brewers have so many OF prospects and have SS covered. 1b and 3b lack in ideal value gets for Lucroy. I'm not for C trades. You look at potential SPs you'd want, and I think teams are going to balk at giving up that tier of talent. You're back to finding diamonds in the rough 18-19year olds who've got a lot of talent, but yet to establish a foothold on legit prospect status. That trade will feel like a kick in the gut the way Lind's trade felt.

Maybe we target a SS that projects to move to 3B in the future?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Diamondbacks - They seem to be pretty happy with Welington Castillo. I'd rather just have Castillo + Lamb + Shipley than Lucroy if I were them.

Twins - I am not saying they wouldn't go for Lucroy, but they seem to be happy with John Ryan Murphy and Suzuki sprinkled in. Hicks looked pretty promising, at least as a good OF with a very plus RH power side bat (wrong side of the platoon). If they were going to trade him away, I'd assume it's for their starting catcher.

Rangers get: Lucroy

Brewer get: Pitchers Dillon Tate and Michael Matuella

Tate was the #4 pick in last year's draft. Matuella was in the mix as the top pick in the draft until he had TJ surgery. Huge upside pitchers - not without risk - especially Matuella with his surgery.

Could expand the deal to include other players if needed. You start adding in Khris Davis or Will Smith, then it becomes a bit crazy. Texas has a deep system, so there's probably guys the club likes as well.

Diamondbacks - They seem to be pretty happy with Welington Castillo. I'd rather just have Castillo + Lamb + Shipley than Lucroy if I were them.

Have you seen some of the moves the Dbacks have made in recent memory? :) Get in while the 'Gettins' good!

Castillo doesn't seem to get a lot of respect. He's a solid guy, and I agree he's not a bad player for them. However, you have to wonder about Stewart - he seems to be putting them in a 'win now' mode - and you never know what you might be able to pull off.

Well, I would agree that if Lucroy put up a good, healthy season last year that the trade would make sense. But you're unloading current help/the rest of your farm system for .50 OPS points and maybe a moderate upgrade in pitch-framing (Castillo seems to be a decent defensive catcher by what I've seen)...and that's a risk at this point with Lucroy. There's a chance that you're basically getting the same player as Castillo back and giving up value to do so.

Archived