Brewer Fanatic

Twins interested in Will Smith

Will Smith should be a big/nice return. He has been one of the top lefty (non Loogy) back-end arms for two seasons, is only 1 million a year, and very controllable. With the RP market today, DS should hold out for a team who is going to bit hard on a dominant left with 3-4 years of control who only cost a million. I think if he pitches the way he does every 1st half until his arm is abused & beaten to near death (as it is by July/August every season) in the closer role for us. His best value will come at the deadline.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

A Smith/Lucroy package would be really address a couple of the Twins major needs.

I said this in another thread - I don't think Minnesota would give up Berrios since he's ready to join their rotation now. But something around Kepler/Jay/Plouffe might work - with Plouffe flipped to a third team.

I have been thinking recently about Will Smith as a trade chip. I think he would bring back a nice return if dealt. I agree that a trade deadline deal might be the ideal time, but still assume there are teams out there checking in on him now. One team that stands out is the Cubs. Their roster seems to have very few holes, but a good LH reliever is a piece they appear to need. I know dealing in division is taboo for some, but the Cubs may have the pieces to make it worth it.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I would hold on to Smith and use him in a package with Segura at the trade deadline or possibly sooner if somebody's starting SS goes down with an injury. They are going to need to package Segura to get any value back and Smith's the perfect guy to make a neat package deal as teams are always willing to add useful bullpen arms.

Sure Smith has value on his own, but as a sweetener for a team that could use a SS badly too, you can get an even larger return than each separately.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd set up a trade that included Oswaldo Arcia personally.

Oswaldo seems like a guy who could use a change of scenery.

In the minors, his walk rate wasn't that bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. The last two years that's just dropped, and his strike outs continue to climb. Last year, I read a report that said he just looked lost.

Edit: after I posted this I found this nice write up on Oswaldo.

http://www.twinkietown.com/2015/10/29/9636094/2016-stock-market-report-oswaldo-arcia

And this:

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins/what-happened-to-oswaldo-arcia-r4043

The latter article notes he's had a lot of injuries, which may be contributing to his recent struggles.

Why would we want another corner OF, other than uniting him with his brother? Oswaldo is just a worse version of Santana.

If we're talking Smith and Lucroy, I would want Berrios and Kepler and some low-minors lottery tickets.

Why would we want another corner OF, other than uniting him with his brother? Oswaldo is just a worse version of Santana.

If we're talking Smith and Lucroy, I would want Berrios and Kepler and some low-minors lottery tickets.

Moar talent.

Smith/Davis and someone else(Daives?- big park could help him) for Berrios/Arcia return.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Smith/Davis and someone else(Daives?- big park could help him) for Berrios/Arcia return.

God I hope not.... That is a bad return in my eyes. Smith & Davis have good trade value. On the relief market today, Smith has ton of value. Khris Davis is older but more valuable than Arcia. Only reason to trade Davis is to make room for Santana....why bring in Arcia then?

Smith/Davis should be a nice haul not add 1 more player to get a good SP prospect & underachieving OF who is oft injuried

God I hope not.... That is a bad return in my eyes. Smith & Davis have good trade value. On the relief market today, Smith has ton of value. Khris Davis is older but more valuable than Arcia. Only reason to trade Davis is to make room for Santana....why bring in Arcia then?

Smith/Davis should be a nice haul not add 1 more player to get a good SP prospect & underachieving OF who is oft injuried

I'm not huge on Arcia. He was just a player discussed by others. Plus it'd be cool to have brothers on the team. I could see Arcia being a quality 4th OF in the future. I guess I figured Berrios is as close to a sure thing as there is out there any only being 21 you have to give up a bit to get him. That was my rationale anyways.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Plus it'd be cool to have brothers on the team.

As a GM, I would hate to have brothers on the team. One brother has any type of problem (negotiations, playing time, discipline, etc), then instead of one discontent player, you have two players that are not happy.

• 5 weeks later...
A Twins blog writer @thrylos98 just posted this

"Sounds like the #MNTwins and the #Brewers are getting closer on a Will Smith trade..."

Who knows how credible it is though

Hmmm... Another tweet asking for a source is answered with: "Someone from the Milwaukee organization who shall remain nameless if that matters..."

The account does look more engaged in actual Twins discussion and news than your average throw random rumors against the wall Twitter account.

I've heard of this guy before and he's been around for awhile. Might be legit.

As for the return, I think Kepler is overshooting a little. Something along the lines of Lewis Thorpe, Adam Brett Walker and a third piece (Mason Melotakis? Yorman Landa?) would seem to be more in keeping with the return Stearns would seek.

As far as a guy just outside the top tier of Twins propects, I really like LHP Stephen Gonsalves.

For guys further down the list that seem intriguing, agree with And That on 20 year old Austrialian LHP Lewis Thorpe and also like the reported offensive profile (per both BA and Sickels) of 19 year old Venezuelan infielder Jermaine Palacios.

Archived