Brewer Fanatic

2016 Opening Day Lineup (and 2016 Batting Order Discussion)

pacopete4

I think Jones starts the year on the dl, nolin makes the team, broxton, flores, and liriano all make the team, and that colin walsh is the 25th man

I'm positive that presley, nieuwenheis, and almost all of the relievers would clear waivers. Pena might clear, but i also think he's likely to have 5/9 bb/inning ratio, which is awful, so i'm not sure about him.

Broxton and santana have been the best parts of camp

middlebrooks and perez suck, predictably. I think they'll just release middlebrooks.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the short sample of ST, I'll go w/ my team.

Broxton CF

Gennett 2b

Lucroy C

Braun LF

Santana RF

Carter 1b

Hill 3b

Rivera SS

Bench: Flores (CF Platoon, 1b), Villar (IF/of), Maldanado ©, Walsh (2b,3b, OF), Liriano (OF)??

I hope they don't keep Santana leadoff. Present day it's hard not to have a lineup of Broxton, Lucroy, Braun, Santana, Carter, Hill, Villar, Scooter

And people are correct in that Perez doesn't bring much to the table and his OBP is awful, especially compared to his BA. But if they keep Rivera in AAA playing every day then he's the only one that makes sense after Walsh. Wilkins can only play 1b and Lucroy/Flores can cover that. Middlebrooks is awful as expected. Cecchini is 3b in AAA. There's nobody else to keep unless he drops Perez and acquires another MI, which I've said a couple weeks ago I believe that is going to happen (assuming Rivera is in AAA)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I know much should not be made off of spring training samples, but at this point it's really hard to ignore what we are seeing with Broxton. Also, it was made very clear that this spring training was a competition for CF amongst the many guys thrown out there. If that's the case, it has to be evident that Broxton is one of, if not the leading candidate to start the season getting the lion's share of PT out there. He takes a good amount of walks, so I like him in the leadoff spot. I know Counsell has said he's going to try Santana there as well, but I don't see Broxton providing the same kind of power as Santana.

I'm still kind of high on Liriano and Flores, and want to see both of them get at least 200 - 250 PA's as well. Lots of young guys to try to spread PA's around to.

1) Broxton CF

2) Lucroy C

3) Braun LF

4) Santana RF

5) Carter 1B

6) Hill 3B

7) Villar SS

8) Gennett 2b

I was hoping once they signed him, that middlebrooks would find his way on the opening day roster, i just don't see the math working out

I'm going to predict:

C (2) Lucroy, Maldonado

IF (6), Carter, Gennett, Villar, Hill, Rivera, Walsh

OF (5) Santana, Broxton, Braun, Flores, Lirano

SP (5) Nelson, Garza, Peralta, Anderson, Jungmann

RP (7) Jeffress, Knebel, Blazek, Smith, Morales, Thornberg, Boyer or Cravey

I'm a fan of power in the leadoff spot, so in that way, putting Santana there appeals to me. But power shouldn't be left wanting in the traditional power spots in order to get it at leadoff.

Craig might be thinking of grooming Domingo to lead off in the future, though. If this is going to be a non-competitive season, there may be some sense to putting him there.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm a fan of power in the leadoff spot, so in that way, putting Santana there appeals to me. But power shouldn't be left wanting in the traditional power spots in order to get it at leadoff.

Craig might be thinking of grooming Domingo to lead off in the future, though. If this is going to be a non-competitive season, there may be some sense to putting him there.

Things change as well. They may have been planning on sending Broxton to AAA, leaving them with no real leadoff guy, so Santana's OBP made sense. With Broxton looking like the odds-on favorite to win the CF spotnow, he makes sense at leadoff, allowing Santana to hit in more of a traditional power spot.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm a fan of Rivera and was hoping he'd continue trending up and be a legitimate candidate for 2b of the future so wanted him starting in AAA to play every day but the way he's performing in combination with how Villar is performing I'd seriously be considering Rivera starting SS with Villar and Walsh on bench. The defense is a massive upgrade over Villar and Rivera seems to have a good approach and developing nicely.

I'm also a huge fan of power in the leadoff spot as long as the OBP is there and it makes sense with the talent on the team. It's a huge benefit having someone with 25-30HR potential as leadoff to cleanup the bottom of the order getting the most ABs instead of having to wait for traditional 3-4 spots. This year I don't think it makes sense to have Santana leadoff as Braun has zero protection then. I can see Santana getting time in leadoff this year though for sure. Arcia, Phillips, Braun, Santana is also a very appealing lineup. Will depend on future acquisitions too

I think Rivera has played well enough that he shouldn't be on the bench. If he truly has recaptured the power he showed early in his minor league career without reverting back to the strikeout rate he had then, he could be a legitimate part of the future. It's tough to find that out, though, with only sporadic playing time. Either he is the starting second baseman at AAA or the starting shortstop in Milwaukee.

That being said, if he is the starting shortstop, I'd almost rather see Villar getting a significant number of starts at third. He hasn't been great in the spring, but neither has Hill, and more playing time will let the Brewers know what they have with him. Maybe split the shortstop/third base starts 75%/75%/50% with Rivera, Villar and Walsh and have Hill be Gennett's platoon-mate.

Hill's spring hasn't been good but he's only fanned twice. Villar has fanned 11 times. I wouldn't rule out Perez completely if they want Rivera playing everyday. Everyone forgets Perez is only 25 which isn't exactly old.

Down side to Perez is he wont even walk his age this season. Rivera has everyday plus defensive ability at 3 positions and his bat has been playing. I get Stearns loves Villar but Rivera seems like the better offensive and defensive option as of right now. Villar can be a super utility and still play a lot but Rivera has been outstanding.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

If spring training performance means anything, this would be our lineup and it wouldn't be all that tough a decision other than batting order as these guys are the clear best at their position in camp:

RF Santana

2B Gennett

LF Braun

C Luc (I cant imagine how he will be on our roster opening day though)

1B Carter

CF Broxton

3B Perez

SS Rivera

If spring training performance means anything, this would be our lineup and it wouldn't be all that tough a decision other than batting order as these guys are the clear best at their position in camp:

RF Santana

2B Gennett

LF Braun

1B Carter

CF Broxton

3B Perez

SS Rivera

Jonatahn Villar will be starting SS, Aaron Hill will be starting 3B and Broxton will lead off. Lucroy will still be with Brewers on Opening Day.

My lineup guess:

CF Keon Broxton

2B Scooter Gennett

LF Ryan Braun

C Jonathan Lucroy

1B Chris Carter

RF Dominga Santana

3B Aaron Hill

SS Jonathan Villar

RF Santana

2B Gennett

LF Braun

1B Carter

CF Broxton

3B Perez

SS Rivera

Jonatahn Villar will be starting SS, Aaron Hill will be starting 3B and Broxton will lead off. Lucroy will still be with Brewers on Opening Day.

My lineup guess:

CF Keon Broxton

2B Scooter Gennett

LF Ryan Braun

C Jonathan Lucroy

1B Chris Carter

RF Dominga Santana

3B Aaron Hill

SS Jonathan Villar

Im not doubting your lineup. It may very well be the case. I was only commenting on spring performance where both Villars and Hill were badly outplayed. As for Broxton at lead off, that is possible, he fits the "mold" more than Santana though CC seems to be intrigued with him there.

Luc has no business being on this roster by opening day unless the Brewers think they are going to contend or they have a crystal ball and think some contenders catcher is about to get hurt. Luc has proven he is healthy so his value is at an all time high right now.

I realize the need to "name" starters, but that doesn't matter much to me. Rivera and Villar should both get a ton of ABs and they can both play other positions besides SS. Also, I wish they would just dump Hill. This pipe-dream about how he can have a good season, be flipped in a trade, etc....what the heck are you ever going to get for Aaron Hill? He's a dime a dozen. Heck, the Brewers already have 5 or 6 Aaron Hills, only younger.

I wish they would do the same thing in the OF. Add Reed to the roster. You can give labels to Broxton/Flores/Reed if you want. Starting CF, 4th OF, 5th OF. Doesn't matter to me, just give them all enough ABs.

This is as a fan talking more than anything. I have no interest in seeing Hill, Pressley or EYJ. This is the year, if there ever was one, to see what the young guys can do- especially the players that came up through our system.

Assuming Villar is the starting SS, can either of Perez or Walsh play SS well enough to be the backup, allowing the Brewers to send Rivera to AAA? I think Rivera is deserving of a spot on the 25-man roster, but if he's not starting, I'd rather he be the everyday 2B at AAA. However, I don't see this as an option if no one else can play SS behind Villar.

I think Walsh could be a decent utility IF, and keeping him and Rivera on the MLB roster basically means Walsh will be the 25th man who is never heard from, which could seriously hamper the development of a promising player.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

No, neither can play SS. I would prefer Rivera to get the majority of starts at SS. If it's Villar, then Rivera will get plenty ABs at 2B,SS,3B, and PH. Maybe not quite as many as starting every day at 2B in AAA, but pretty close.

And I think it's worth finding out this year if Rivera is part of the future or not. There's a domino effect, as that will also help determine if Scooter is kept around.

Assuming we know the starters and cannot change them...what I would do with those 8 players but not necessarily what I think they will do:

2B Gennett

C Lucroy

LF Braun

RF Santana

3B Hill

1B Carter

CF Broxton

SS Villar

What I think they will do:

SS Villar

C Lucroy

LF Braun

1B Carter

3B Hill

RF Santana

2B Gennett

CF Broxton

How can Perez not fill in at SS when he's played more career games at SS than any other position including full AAA season in 2014? If Rivera isn't going to start and get a ton of ABs then he needs to be in AAA playing every day. Perez and Walsh cover every IF spot. Because Hill sucks so much and Scooter is historically bad vs lefties having Rivera on the team means he'll still get a lot of PT floating between 3 IF spots. He needs 400ABs otherwise put him in AAA.

And it's impossible to have Broxton, Flores, Reed on team getting them all plenty of ABs. Unless there's an injury to Braun or Santana they're both playing 150 games. Those guys splitting CF getting 200ABs each does nothing for their development nor showcases their ability to other teams when they'll be traded. And at this point, Broxton is getting the majority of time in CF. there's a reason Reed is in AAA already

If I'm making the lineup tomorrow I'd have Broxton, Scooter, Braun, Lucroy, Santana, Carter, Hill, Villar. If it needs to be tweaked Lucroy can always go 2 with Santana up to 4 and Scooter dropping in at 6-7

Why is Hill the consensus started at 3B? The guy has been brutal so far.

Based on performance, had Hill (445 ops), Villars (495) and for that matter Flores (648 including 315 slugging) not been traded for, they would barely be in the conversation to make the team let alone start or play key roles.

The "consensus" is because Craig said he'd be the likely starter.

Keep in mind that lineups in this thread might be posted from a couple of different mindsets: what should happen in the member's opinion or what the member thinks will likely happen.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The hole key to watching spring training stats is not to be too reactionary towards them. Good or bad.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived