Brewer Fanatic

2016 Opening Day Lineup (and 2016 Batting Order Discussion)

pacopete4
Why do people keep including Perez? Not bashing on him but there's a reason he's not on the 40 man roster anymore. Lots of guys for him to pass up to be even considered.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't answer for others, but I honestly didn't put much thought into listing Perez. I guess the name was basically a place holder to counter Gennett, probably more likely to replace with Walsh, Rivera or even Cecchini with Villar moving to 2B. I'll invest a little more effort into the exercise when we have a clearer idea of who will actually be on the opening day roster.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Why do people keep including Perez? Not bashing on him but there's a reason he's not on the 40 man roster anymore. Lots of guys for him to pass up to be even considered.

I still like Perez but would not include him either since they can let him play everyday in AAA and not have to worry about adding him to the 40 man. I imagine we will see him in the big leagues at some point this season though. However, Tom H included Middelebrooks in his projected lineup even though he is not on the 40 man and he is the beat writer so if somebody here puts in Perez I wouldn't consider it far out there or anything.

After reading this thread I like the idea of breaking up the power guys. What about something like...

How I would do it, not how I expect it.

3b Cecchini/Villar

C Lucroy

LF Davis

RF Braun

CF Santana

2b Gennett/Walsh

1b Carter

SS Segura

Barring more trades, I'll say ...

1. Villar, 3B

2. Gennett, 2B

3. Lucroy, C

4. Braun, RF

5. Davis, LF

6. Carter, 1B

7. Broxton, CF

8. Segura, SS

For the bench, Maldonado and Flores (once healthy) are likely, and I'm guessing Walsh sticks. That leaves two spots left. I'm guessing Nieuwenhuis, Peterson and possibly Young will duke it out for one of them (I'd guess Nieuwenhuis) and Perez and Middlebrooks battle it out for the other.

As for Perez, I think the case goes something like this: Unless I'm forgetting someone, the Brewers currently have 19 position players on the 40-man. Between the starters and the first three bench spots, that leaves 8 players. I think they'll want Santana to get regular at bats, and because they seem to want an actual center fielder in center, that means AAA until a trade happens. I can't see them starting Arcia in the majors because there is no reason to rush him. Neither Rivera nor Reed lit the world on fire at AAA last year and could probably benefit from consistent playing time there. Carter doesn't have extreme enough platoon splits to justify keeping a second first baseman, so Wilkins it probably out. Cecchini had a sub-.600 OPS at triple-A last year. I liked picking him up as a bounce-back candidate, but after last year I'm guessing that bouncing back would have to begin as the starting third baseman for either Colorado Springs or Biloxi. That leaves Nieuwenhuis and Peterson, and I don't think they can justify keeping six outfielders, so one of them is likely gone. That still leaves a free spot on the bench for an infielder. The three non-roster infield invitees are Perez, Middlebrooks and Elmore. The case for Perez among those three? He is the youngest and the only one who was actually replacement level last season. Middlebrooks is the bigger name, but doesn't either guarantee him a spot.

Both Carter (9.8%) and Davis (9.9%) hit home runs on just under 10% of the balls they put in play last season. If they are both in the lineup I would prefer to seperate them by 2-3 spots in the order since they profile so similarly as hitters.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have them back to back then? Increase your odds of popping one out of the park with guys on base? Maybe I'm mis-thinking this one but if you put one towards the bottom of the order, that's where there are guys who don't get on base as much as the top of your order.

The past 3yrs 63% of Khris Davis' HRs have been solo. 60% of Chris Carter's are solo. Compared to 47% solo for someone like Braun. There's no right or wrong it's simply philosophical differences. You believing batting them back-to-back is logical and given your reasoning, it is, but it depends on the player in discussion. With 60-63% of their HRs being solo isn't good, especially when Davis was batting 4-5. I also prefer, and think it's logical, to have them separated given they both miss the ball a lot and Carter is only a decent at best OBP guy (Davis is definitely better but he's not great by any means). Therefore I would put a bat in between them. I have Scooter (lefty and even though not a high OBP guy his BA is still decent and doesn't K a lot) and Walsh (high OBP guy in minors). I actually have Davis being traded and not in my lineup but I did the same with Santana/Carter even though Santana is a better hitter and gets on base more than Davis (or should). Santana 5 and Carter 7.

Regarding Perez, I have him on the bench because he can play multiple IF positions and has MLB experience. I don't even have Middlebrooks making the team although, depending how he performs in ST, I'd swap him in for Perez. I see a lot of people with Cecchini and Rivera on the roster/in the lineup and I have them in AAA. I like them starting there as the IF will be Cecchini, Arcia, Rivera and they all come up together - plus Cecchini was decently solid in AAA in 2014 but was awful there last year so I believe he should start there this year. Plus, he can be given time at both 1b and 3b too if need be. Rivera was good in AA and struggled in AAA so he needs to start there and spend the year there. Bring Cecchini up if he's playing well but I'd personally prefer to keep him there at least a couple months.

It'll be interesting revisiting this thread by the start of ST as this very well could be drastically different - potentially no Segura, Scooter, Lucroy, Davis. I have Davis being traded anyway so didn't put him in my lineup because he's not close to fitting what Stearns looks for - technically neither does Carter but he's cheap, has a ton of power and plays a position we literally had nobody who could play it. No Davis means we have Braun, Broxton/Kirk, Santana starting with Flores as well (and Peterson I guess).

• 2 weeks later...
I know it would not happen due to ego/expectations etc, but is there any merit to the idea of Braun batting leadoff or even second?

Ron hit him second 44 times in 2014. I don't think ego would be an issue. I don't think ego would even be an issue hitting him leadoff but more so the criticism from doing something "crazy" like that would be the problem. However, there is no "leadoff" hitter on this team. Braun's probably the best option but it will most likely be Scooter or Segura or some other punchless middle infielder.

2B Scooter Gennett

3B Jonathan Villar

C Jonathan Lucroy

RF Ryan Braun

LF Khris Davis

1B Chris Carter

CF Keon Broxton

SS Yadiel Rivera

Couple Notes:

This is my everyday line up not my opening day line up. As Gennett would clearly not be playing against Mad Bum.

I went with Keon Broxton over the newly acquired Liriano. I think this will be a spring training battle, but unless Liriano performs way better I think they go with Broxton. From what I have seen Liriano is more of an option for the corner spots not center field. Already seeing them say no to Santana on CF I would expect them to go with Broxton who has much better defense.

Still on the subject of Broxton one could make an argument to putting him #1 or #2 and dropping Villar/Gennett to #7 because of the speed he provides. However until he proves to hit at the MLB level I think I would keep him at #7.

Also my gut tells me they will put Jonathan Lucroy #2, but my personal preference is to have him at #3. Maybe one of Villar/Broxton will hit enough at the start of the season to allow my lineup to come to fruition.

Alright, to revise my own lineup from earlier today after the Segura deal

Regular Lineup:

SS Villar(Arcia after he is called up)

C Lucroy

RF Braun

LF Davis

1b Carter

2b Gennett

CF Liriano

3b Cecchini

OD Lineup

SS Villar

C Lucroy

RF Braun

LF Davis

1b Carter

3b Hill

CF Liriano

2b Walsh

I'm surprised no one has submitted a picture of Major League reference: Who are these guys?!

I've never heard of half of these guys, and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

This guy here is dead!

1. Gennett, 2B

2. Lucroy, C

3. Braun, RF

4. Davis, LF

5. Carter, 1B

6. Broxton, CF

7. Villar, 3B

8. Counsell, SS

Been a while but it is time to bring back the player manager.

• 2 weeks later...
Poor Craig Counsell. Where is going to hide these guys? No way he can put Carter and Santana back to back. I suppose Carter is 5 and Santana 7 now with Braun 3rd and Lucroy 4th? He'll probably stick Hill between them. What's the major league record for strikeouts by two teammates? I'll have to look that up. Tracking these two toward the record might be entertaining.

Poor Craig Counsell. Where is going to hide these guys? No way he can put Carter and Santana back to back. I suppose Carter is 5 and Santana 7 now with Braun 3rd and Lucroy 4th? He'll probably stick Hill between them. What's the major league record for strikeouts by two teammates? I'll have to look that up. Tracking these two toward the record might be entertaining.

I'll take the under.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'll take the under.

I put the over/under for this pair at 420 combined strikeouts and I'll take the over. Only way they don't get there is if Counsell loses patience and sits Santana from time to time. Over/under on games where Carter and Santana combine for 6 or more strikeouts is 15. If Broxton wins the everyday CF job, we could see 3 guys combine for 600.

I'll take the under.

I put the over/under for this pair at 420 combined strikeouts and I'll take the over. Only way they don't get there is if Counsell loses patience and sits Santana from time to time. Over/under on games where Carter and Santana combine for 6 or more strikeouts is 15. If Broxton wins the everyday CF job, we could see 3 guys combine for 600.

I'll take the under based on at bats as well. That said, if they do combine for 420 Ks... there have been 4 hitters (technically 3 hitters, thanks to Reynolds doubling up on this list) in the history of baseball to strikeout 210 times in a season resulting in homerun totals of 44, 32, 41, and 29 and OPS+ of 127, 97, 114, and 112. I can live with a couple of those in the lineup.

Do you guys think scooter gets the start opening day or do we start right off the bat with a platoon?

If we don't platoon then we really are tanking. Scooter is what he is. Smacks around RHP a bit and plays good enough D to be a nice platoon mate. The rest is fooling yourself into thinking he is more than he already is.

Archived