Brewer Fanatic

2016 Opening Day Lineup (and 2016 Batting Order Discussion)

pacopete4

While obviously this could change dramatically in the next 2-3 months, I just thought it would be fun to play around with for the time being. Here's mine as of 1/7/16: (Davis is traded in the offseason in my projection)

vs RHP

• 1. Villar- SS (S)
    2. Cecchini- 3B (L)
    3. Lucroy- C
    4. Braun- LF
    5. Carter- 1B
    6. Santana- RF
    7. Gennett- 2B (L)
    8. Broxton- CF

Bench: Segura, Walsh, Nieuwenhuis, Peterson, Maldonado

vs LHP

• 1. Villar- 3B
    2. Walsh- 2B
    3. Lucroy- C
    4. Braun- LF
    5. Carter- 1B
    6. Santana- RF
    7. Broxton- CF
    8. Segura- SS

Bench: Cechinni, Gennett, Nieuwenhuis, Peterson, Maldonado

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming this is our roster entering the season. however, i'll add that once Ramon Flores is healthy- I'd have him take Shane Peterson's spot on the 25 man.

VS RHP

CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis+

C Jonathan LuCroy

RF Ryan Braun

LF Khris Davis

1B Chris Carter

3B Garin Cecchini+

2B Scooter Gennett+

SS Jean Segura

BENCH

OF Domingo Santana

C Martin Maldonado

UI Jonathan Villar~

2B/3B Colin Walsh~

OF/1B Shane Peterson+

-------------------------------------

VS LHP

SS Jean Segura

C Jonathan LuCroy

RF Ryan Braun

CF Domingo Santana

LF Khris Davis

1B Chris Carter

3B Jonathan Villar~

2B Colin Walsh~

BENCH

2B Scooter Gennett+

OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis+

C Martin Maldonado

OF/1B Shane Peterson+

3B/1B Garin Cecchini+

*EDIT- with the recent pickup of Rymer Liriano. I'd have him take Share Peterson's spot obviously, but when Ramon Flores is healthy I'd trade/waive, Nieuwenhuis.

*EDIT #2- with the recent pickup of Aaron Hill and departure of Segura- I'll slide Villar into starting at SS and Hill starting at 3B. I would also prefer to have Cecchini start in AAA, and in place have Perez or Middlebrooks at 3B, but not sure who I would risk taking off the 40 man over either of those two.

*EDIT #3 - after the Davis trade, I would move Santana to starting in RF and batting 3rd, Braun back to left, batting cleanup, to separate KOs from Carter/Santana. Then, with the extra 40 man spot, I'd add Perez as a utility IF allowing me to send down Cecchini for extra development in AAA and probably add Guez to the 40 man in place of Wilkins (hopefully slide through waivers) to be the 5th OF/PH, allowing Reed, Phillips, Broxton to stay in AAA for fine-tuning.

My Opening Day lineup/roster has Davis not on the team

RHP

Broxton CF

Villar 3b

Braun LF

Lucroy C

Santana RF

Scooter 2b

Carter 1b

Segura SS

LHP

Broxton CF

Villar 3b

Braun LF

Lucroy C

Santana RF

Walsh 2b

Carter 1b

Segura SS

Bench: Nieuwenhuis, Flores, Perez, Maldy, Walsh/Scooter (they'll all work in and get plenty of PT, outside of Maldy if Lucroy is here)

Rotation

Nelson

Garza

Peralta

Jungmann

Davies

Bullpen

Smith

Jeffress

Blazek

Thornburg

Knebel

Pena

Z.Jones

Both Carter (9.8%) and Davis (9.9%) hit home runs on just under 10% of the balls they put in play last season. If they are both in the lineup I would prefer to seperate them by 2-3 spots in the order since they profile so similarly as hitters.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
C Angel Salome

1B Brad Nelson

2B Bert Lowry

3B Russell Branyan

SS Alcides Escobar

LF Dave Krynzel

CF Lorenzo Cain

RF Nelson Cruz

You forgot Lou Palmisano

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Vs. RHP:

Gennett 2B

Lucroy C

Braun RF

Davis LF

Nieuwenhuis CF

Carter 1B

Segura SS

Middlebrooks 3B

Vs. LHP

Broxton CF

Segura SS

Braun RF

Davis LF

Lucroy C

Carter 1B

Villar 2B

Middlebrooks 3B

By June 1st, Middlebrooks will have been released, Segura will moved to 3B and Arcia will take over a SS.

Middlebrooks is like the new toy that the kid down the block had that you wanted and lo and behold later found in the kids garbage only to find out yourself that it doesn't work. They'll try that toy for 40 games or so just like SD did then realize he doesn't work.

Eventually they'll turn to guys who'll be tearing it up in Colorado Springs. Guys like Arcia and later Phillips along with Perez and Reed.

The pleasant surprise of the early season will be Segura, who'll pump up his trade value with a start similar to the one he had in 2013.

Vs. RHP:

Gennett 2B

Lucroy C

Braun RF

Davis LF

Nieuwenhuis CF

Carter 1B

Segura SS

Middlebrooks 3B

Vs. LHP

Broxton CF

Segura SS

Braun RF

Davis LF

Lucroy C

Carter 1B

Villar 2B

Middlebrooks 3B

By June 1st, Middlebrooks will have been released, Segura will moved to 3B and Arcia will take over a SS. Villar will also have been released and replaced by Hernan Perez as RH platoon at 2B and utility infielder.

This is the stuff people will be calling you out about. It's okay to have different opinions but really? They are going to flat out release a 24 year old switch hitting utility player who can actually somewhat hit?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Vs. RHP:

Gennett 2B

Lucroy C

Braun RF

Davis LF

Nieuwenhuis CF

Carter 1B

Segura SS

Middlebrooks 3B

Vs. LHP

Broxton CF

Segura SS

Braun RF

Davis LF

Lucroy C

Carter 1B

Villar 2B

Middlebrooks 3B

By June 1st, Middlebrooks will have been released, Segura will moved to 3B and Arcia will take over a SS. Villar will also have been released and replaced by Hernan Perez as RH platoon at 2B and utility infielder.

This is the stuff people will be calling you out about. It's okay to have different opinions but really? They are going to flat out release a 24 year old switch hitting utility player who can actually somewhat hit?

In other words, anybody Stearns signed will be gone by July 1. He just forgot to type Chris Carter in there.

Vs. RHP:

Gennett 2B

Lucroy C

Braun RF

Davis LF

Nieuwenhuis CF

Carter 1B

Segura SS

Middlebrooks 3B

Vs. LHP

Broxton CF

Segura SS

Braun RF

Davis LF

Lucroy C

Carter 1B

Villar 2B

Middlebrooks 3B

Do I care that people call me out? If I were in charge Villar would be my opening day 3B certainly over Middlebrooks, but I'm trying to predict what Brewers will do in my post. Not that Villar can't play though he's suspect defensively in the middle infield, I just think there will be some very hot bats at AAA that they'll need to make room for. If they can move Segura, they'll hang on to Villar certainly. Villar's out of options which makes it tricky.

You convinced me though so I edited the post! Congrats!

Vs. RHP:

Gennett 2B

Lucroy C

Braun RF

Davis LF

Nieuwenhuis CF

Carter 1B

Segura SS

Middlebrooks 3B

Vs. LHP

Broxton CF

Segura SS

Braun RF

Davis LF

Lucroy C

Carter 1B

Villar 2B

Middlebrooks 3B

In other words, anybody Stearns signed will be gone by July 1. He just forgot to type Chris Carter in there.

No I think Broxton and Niewenhuis will survive longer than Peterson. I revised my post on Villar who I've been on the fence about ever since they signed Middlebrooks. I was ready to hand to 3B job to Villar to start the year and am still perplexed by fascination with a guy who's failed so miserably recently as Middlebrooks. Not that Villar will fail but he could get lost in the shuffle (he's out of options) much like Hernan Perez did in the offseason as they try and see if Middlebrooks is any good. Villar as a middle infield utility guy has defensive issues too.

One thing I can predict with relative certainty. The Brewers will go through a ton of players this year. As the Geico ads say, that's what bad teams do.

Do I care that people call me out? If I were in charge Villar would be my opening day 3B certainly over Middlebrooks, but I'm trying to predict what Brewers will do in my post. Not that Villar can't play though he's suspect defensively in the middle infield, I just think there will be some very hot bats at AAA that they'll need to make room for. If they can move Segura, they'll hang on to Villar certainly. Villar's out of options which makes it tricky.

You convinced me though so I edited the post! Congrats!

You should care to at least somewhat get along here. Again, I've supported your other views quite a bit because I like to hear different thinking but some of the time it feels as though you write things for shock value. Even if Villar wasn't on the MLB team, do you think he would be released? It just doesn't seem like it would be a very smart move for any team to do. Maybe you meant released down to the AAA team but it didn't read that way to me. And I didn't mean to convince you to have him in your lineup, just that Stearns wouldn't give up on a guy he just traded a solid pitcher for.

Both Carter (9.8%) and Davis (9.9%) hit home runs on just under 10% of the balls they put in play last season. If they are both in the lineup I would prefer to seperate them by 2-3 spots in the order since they profile so similarly as hitters.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have them back to back then? Increase your odds of popping one out of the park with guys on base? Maybe I'm mis-thinking this one but if you put one towards the bottom of the order, that's where there are guys who don't get on base as much as the top of your order.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm guessing that Davis will be higher in the order. But Davis' OBP isn't great, so if Carter follows there are lower chances of men on base. Thus

Davis

Lucroy

Carter

makes more sense. Probably not much difference, but...

Wouldn't it make more sense to have them back to back then? Increase your odds of popping one out of the park with guys on base? Maybe I'm mis-thinking this one but if you put one towards the bottom of the order, that's where there are guys who don't get on base as much as the top of your order.

My goal would be to place guys between them that can get on base, which may be easier said than done with the guys in the current projected lineup. What I would like to avoid is a spot in the order where in the first inning one of them is likely to end the inning and the other would become the defacto lead-off hitter the second inning.

Something like this would be my preference, admittedly not a very good defensive lineup...

1) Villar 3B

2) Lucroy C

3) Davis LF

4) Braun RF

5) Santana CF

6) Carter 1B

7) Gennett / Perez 2B

8) Segura SS

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived