Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Chris Carter to a 1-year, $2.5 mil deal

markedman5

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Pinto designated per jsonline

If so, wonder if this means they at giving up on a lucroy trade. Would have thought that Wilkins was a good candidate to go.

I'm ok with this as a stopgap. Could possibly turn him for prospects if he has a good 1st half.

Good signing. Not expensive. Will be fun to watch put em in the seats and speed up the games by striking out a lot. Still young enough to be able to flip at the deadline to an AL team maybe.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The nice thing is he OPS's about the same on both sides of the plate unlike a guy like Alverez.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He will carry the Brewers for like two week stretches and then absolutely kill them for 6 weeks.

Have no idea how he is defensively.

One year deal...trade him at midseason if you get a nice offer.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

iWell he has experienced plenty of losing in his career so he should feel right at home. He's Mark Reynolds part 2. Brewers have zero power from the left side but plenty from the right. I would rather have just kept Rogers. Brewers now a threat to set new team strikeout records especially if Santana gets a lot of ABs too.

Looks like Pinto designated per jsonline

If so, wonder if this means they at giving up on a lucroy trade. Would have thought that Wilkins was a good candidate to go.

I'm ok with this as a stopgap. Could possibly turn him for prospects if he has a good 1st half.

Or Pinto was just 40 man roster filler that was easily expendable if/when something better came up. I'd put my money on Pinto having nothing to do with a possible Lucroy trade.

iWell he has experienced plenty of losing in his career so he should feel right at home. He's Mark Reynolds part 2. Brewers have zero power from the left side but plenty from the right. I would rather have just kept Rogers.

Kept Rogers and won 4 extra games maybe?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

iWell he has experienced plenty of losing in his career so he should feel right at home. He's Mark Reynolds part 2. Brewers have zero power from the left side but plenty from the right. I would rather have just kept Rogers. Brewers now a threat to set new team strikeout records especially if Santana gets a lot of ABs too.

As a OTR truck driver it's impossible to post every day, but I do read everyday. You literally have become the Skip Bayless of BF. Honestly every single prospect centric move they make you go against. Then when they sign a vet you go against that. It's really annoying.

As a OTR truck driver it's impossible to post every day, but I do read everyday. You literally have become the Skip Bayless of BF. Honestly every single prospect centric move they make you go against. Then when they sign a vet you go against that. It's really annoying.

http://i.imgur.com/tdASS.gif

This is not the most thrilling move in the world, but it's a reasonable move. Downside, he hits .180 and we lose $2.5M when he's cut. On the upside, he hits 35 bombs and .230 BA with an .800 OPS. That kind of production can probably land you an okay prospect or two down the road.

Most importantly, he's not blocking anyone right now, so nothing to really complain about. In the end, he's not likely part of the next winning Brewer club, but he can help us get there if he produces.

Amen.

WRT this move, love it, again. No risk, medium to high reward. If he figures it out, he's valuable due to having him for 3 years. If not, so what.

Also, Carter was significantly better last year then Reynolds was in 2013, and his last 3 years are significantly better than Reynolds' 2011-2013. And he's 2 years younger. But facts are boring.

Fail to see the upside here. Even if he does hit 40 bombs, he doesn't get on base and plays awful defense. Is there really teams out there looking to trade good prospects for a .310 OBP, 30% strikeout DH at the deadline?

One of the valuable things a rebuilding team has is they can give playing time to unproven players who contending teams don't want to take a chance on. This move seems like a slightly below average fill-in who will now be eating 600 PA at a position that should be the easiest to fill.

Archived