Brewer Fanatic

Delino DeShields?

Texas is reportedly pursuing Marcel Ozuna and Miami is looking for young starter in return say either a Nick Martinez or Chi Chi Gonzalez. Now if they were to make a deal like that seems to me that it would make DeShields expendable who just happens to have been another product of the Astros system. Could the Brewers funnel a young arm (say Texas native Jungmann?) to Texas (to replace one they'd expend to get Ozuna) for DeShields or does DeShields become a key part of return in a Lucroy deal? Granted Phillips by all appearances is the CF of the future, but fitting both DeShields (prototypical leadoff hitter) and Phillips in the same outfield lends credence to rumors that Davis will be moved and oh by the way DeShields started his career playing 2B too.

Deshields would be great to have but there is no way I'm letting Jungmann leave for just him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
[sarcasm]I would think we could get someone younger than Delino Deshields, that guy has to be old enough to have children in MLB right now. The Expos will want a king's ransom :)[/sarcasm]

I smiled at this. Well done.

Suggestion: Next time skip the blue font - I would have been surprised - and thus smiled more or maybe laughed out loud.

[sarcasm]I would think we could get someone younger than Delino Deshields, that guy has to be old enough to have children in MLB right now. The Expos will want a king's ransom :)[/sarcasm]

Yeah, I heard that the Dodgers are looking at giving up a fringe arm for him. Ramon Martinez' little brother. He has decent stuff, but he's pretty frail.

Deshields would be great to have but there is no way I'm letting Jungmann leave for just him.

You wouldn't let 26 year old Jungmann go for a 23 year old CF with speed, and enough on base skills (53 BB as a rookie) to be your leadoff hitter for the next 5 years? I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. Jungmann is at best a number 3 and more likely a number 4 starter. I just don't get the thinking that every deal has to be a veteran for multiple prospects with questionable futures.

You wouldn't let 26 year old Jungmann go for a 23 year old CF with speed, and enough on base skills (53 BB as a rookie) to be your leadoff hitter for the next 5 years? I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. Jungmann is at best a number 3 and more likely a number 4 starter. I just don't get the thinking that every deal has to be a veteran for multiple prospects with questionable futures.

Where did I say that Jungmann should be traded for prospects with questionable futures? I was just stating that it would take Deshields and another prospect for me to pull the trigger on that deal. It's not like Deshields has lit the world on fire in his minor league career and he was just pretty good last season. I get that he is young as well and can improve, but there is also the chance that this is all he is and maybe even declines. While you downgrade Jungmann to a 3-4 pitcher, I think he could be a 2 type pitcher. He was a first round pick for a reason and sometimes these guys take until 25-26 or ever later to figure it out. I don't think that is something really to hard to wrap your head around.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Minors numbers:

Delino DeShields (Jr): .266 .358 .391 .749

Maverick Phillips: .296 .372 .488 .859

- And Maverick is left handed.

Add in Trent Clark, Tyrone Taylor, Michael Reed, Monte Harrison, and Brandon Diaz. I'm not sure we need anymore CF types.

Might be a good guy to add, but given our depth there, I'm not moved to send a SP (even a #3 or #4) for him. How about Brent Suter?

It's just hard to imagine moving a pitcher for an area where we actually have depth. Deshields would be nice to add to the mix but giving up an arm, an arm we need, is just not a great move on my part.

DeShields is an interesting player, but Phillips is likely (hopefully) less than 1/2 year away - and I like Phillips a lot more. With Braun, Davis and Santana, you have corner OFs covered. So I don't want to give up an intriguing young pitcher for a guy who doesn't necessarily fit into our plans.

He was considered a poor 2B defensively, a big reason he was moved to the OF, so I don't know if he'd fit there on a full time basis. He doesn't have a very strong arm either, but certainly the speed, for CF.

Doesn't mean he isn't going to be a decent player, and it doesn't mean we couldn't use him, it's just I don't want to give up a valuable starting pitcher for a guy who is mostly a one-tool (speed) player - and a guy we don't really need.

With the value of quality starting pitching being higher than ever in MLB today, I am not trading away young cost controllable and successful talent for anything less than several legit prospects and not one fringe player not playing in a position of organizational need.

One good reason you don't get that thinking is that nobody has ever said it. As usual, rather than engage people who disagree with you, you're ignoring their actual points and making up stuff to try to make them sound stupid. Pretty sad.

That said, I think Jungmann for DeShields would be a fair trade. It's ironic that you talk about "questionable futures" as if that concept only applies to guys who haven't played in the majors yet. I don't think DeShields will age well at all, given his body, his reliance on speed, and his lack of power. I haven't watched him play, but defensive metrics seem to hate him. Your assessment of Jungmann seems reasonable, which means both guys are likely to decline from what they showed last year. I wouldn't make the trade for the Brewers, because we don't need DeShields. He's probably -- not definitely -- better than what we can put out in cf this year, but in another year I bet he couldn't hold the job. Jungmann has a somewhat better chance to help our next good team.

Archived