Brewer Fanatic

Favorite Brewer moments from last era

adambr2

Though most of us were happy to see the Brewer organization finally head in this direction, I'd like to acknowledge what we accomplished as an organization in the first era of contention for a very long time; for the purposes of this I'll call that era 2007-2014. Some of my favorite moments from this era.

- Watching the confetti fly at home as the Brewers clinched a playoff berth in 2008 on the final day of the season. Winning the division was a greater accomplishment, but clinching a playoff berth, after years of futility, was a special moment.

- Trading for CC Sabathia. I'd put this one a cut above the Greinke trade because of how it put us on the maps as contenders.

- Clinching the division, obviously. Best accomplishment since '82.

- Gallardo returns late in the season from May ACL tear. This IMO is a very underrated one. I don't think most people fully appreciate how miraculous of a recovery this was by Yo to somehow come back later on in the season in time for the playoffs.

- Beating Arizona in the NLDS. Uek's call on the clinching walkoff single by Nyjer to score Gomez was probably the most epic call of the last era for this team.

Sure, there have been some dark moments, some blown opportunities and more accomplished teams that would turn their noses up at this list. But for our fanbase who had come to know no excitement from watching Brewer baseball as we sat through the 90s and early 00's, this was an important time in making Brewer baseball popular in Milwaukee once again and bringing the culture forward from the Selig years.

Honorable mentions: Prince hits 50, Braun debut, Braun MVP, Bush wins first playoff game for Brewers since '82, Hoffman saves 600

For me it was every day of the 2011 season. It started with Cactus League Spring Training in 2011 which for the first and only time I was able to attend, along with my father who had just retired and had always dreamed of being able to do. All season I believed the team had a legitimate chance to compete for the World Series. Brewers baseball was the best part of each and every day. The team also clearly had fun together on and off the field, which only added to the enjoyment of watching them all season long. I was also able to attend a game at Miller Park in both the NLDS and NLCS, which was such a special environment. Despite the bitter ending, I will always remember the 2011 season very fondly.

EDIT: One single moment that sticks out to me about the 2011 season was a Friday in May when I convinced my now wife to stay through extra innings against the Rockies. We were rewarded by witnessing Prince Fielder hit a come from behind walk-off homerun in the 14th inning in what is still the loudest sound I have ever heard come from a baseball bat hitting ball in my life. Also, the world was predicted to end the next day (via Harold Camping) and that didn't happen either, so all told a pretty great weekend.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Best moment was the final game of 2008. Friends of ours (Cub fans) came by the day before the game and handed me two tickets. They said something like, "This means way more to you than us."

I took my son - then 9 years old. Just an amazing time. I watch the video of Braun's HR and still get chills. My son doesn't remember a lot, but still can talk about the confetti dropping and everyone going crazy.

Ryan Braun's HR in the division clincher back in 2011. It wasn't the biggest moment, but it was just the fact that we were trying to clinch the division. Something decades in the making and the goal all year long. Ryan Braun came up after that sick catch and throw for the double play and it sealed an epic regular season. It felt like every clutch moment that season Braun came through, everyone expected a HR, and he delivered it.

My favorite moment was Rickie Weeks' line drive HR that put a dent in the train in Houston

But does it best Prince Fielder's popcorn bucket shot? Which oddly was also at Houston if I remember right.

[sarcasm]Or Corey Hart's flag pole shot in Houston?[/sarcasm]

My top 3

1. Ben Sheets throwing a 2 hit complete game on opening day against the Dodgers in 2007.

2. Game 162 against the Cubs in 2008 that was the loudest game I had been at after Braun hit the home run.

3. 2007 against the Cardinals Prince hits #50 for the season.

My favorite moment was Rickie Weeks' line drive HR that put a dent in the train in Houston

But does it best Prince Fielder's popcorn bucket shot? Which oddly was also at Houston if I remember right.

Sexon hit the flagpole.

Sexon hit the flagpole.

Richie Sexton says thanks, but there is a "T" in his name. :)

I actually was going to post this one seriously. I watched it live (on TV) and was stunned to see that it wasn't a HR. The ball was 75'(?) up the pole. Longest non-HR hit in baseball history (well the projected travel anyway).

Sexon hit the flagpole.

Richie Sexton says thanks, but there is a "T" in his name. :)

I actually was going to post this one seriously. I watched it live (on TV) and was stunned to see that it wasn't a HR. The ball was 75'(?) up the pole. Longest non-HR hit in baseball history (well the projected travel anyway).

I'm not sure if the smiley face means you're being sarcastic or not, but there is no "T" in his name.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sexsori01.shtml

Not important in terms of playoff aspirations but one of my favorite games of this era of Brewers was the day against Minnesota in (I think) 2005 when Prince and Rickie both hit their first major league home runs on the same day. Watching that game it felt like a new era of Brewers baseball was on its way.

I've posted it before - there were some great moments from that team that I'll always remember fondly, including all of 2011. But I don't know that I'll ever experience a more magical game/atmosphere/moment as a Brewers fan than the Wild Card clincher in 2008. Even a World Series championship may not feel the same because it wouldn't have the same buildup, an entire lifetime of anticipation after expecting nothing but failure. It was absolutely surreal, an entire generation of fans (myself included) had never even been alive for a Brewers playoff berth, and could hardly remember them being even respectable. The idea of the Brewers in the playoffs was like a fantasy. It felt wrong. Unrealistic.

I hung on every pitch, both in Milwaukee and in New York. The crowd was electric, the atmosphere tense, with the roof closed the stadium was as loud as I've ever heard it. I've never been so excited for a bases-loaded walk in my life. Was at a TV watching the Mets game when...Wes Helms goes deep to take the lead??? Could this actually be happening? And when the ball left Braun's bat in the 8th...I lost it. More than I ever have before or since, including Morgan's walkoff. Everyone lost it. From my vantage point you could tell the ball was gone before it left the infield. I didn't even watch it land. The Brewers are going to the PLAYOFFS?!?! I didn't think it was even possible. I still get chills thinking about that day. Awesome.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I've posted it before - there were some great moments from that team that I'll always remember fondly, including all of 2011. But I don't know that I'll ever experience a more magical game/atmosphere/moment as a Brewers fan than the Wild Card clincher in 2008. Even a World Series championship may not feel the same because it wouldn't have the same buildup, an entire lifetime of anticipation after expecting nothing but failure. It was absolutely surreal, an entire generation of fans (myself included) had never even been alive for a Brewers playoff berth, and could hardly remember them being even respectable. The idea of the Brewers in the playoffs was like a fantasy. It felt wrong. Unrealistic.

I hung on every pitch, both in Milwaukee and in New York. The crowd was electric, the atmosphere tense, with the roof closed the stadium was as loud as I've ever heard it. I've never been so excited for a bases-loaded walk in my life. Was at a TV watching the Mets game when...Wes Helms goes deep to take the lead??? Could this actually be happening? And when the ball left Braun's bat in the 8th...I lost it. More than I ever have before or since, including Morgan's walkoff. Everyone lost it. From my vantage point you could tell the ball was gone before it left the infield. I didn't even watch it land. The Brewers are going to the PLAYOFFS?!?! I didn't think it was even possible. I still get chills thinking about that day. Awesome.

Well said. Regardless of how my feelings about Braun have changed since then, I still always smile when I think of that home run. I'll remember it - and where I was and what I was doing when it happened - forever. The playoffs were something for OTHER teams. I had no idea what it would be like to actually CARE about them, instead of just watching half-heartedly as a baseball fan.

More generally, I'm not sure we'll ever see a stretch like late July 2011 into August. That is the only time I can remember where I honestly thought the Brewers would win every game. They'd fall behind and I'd think... oh, no problem, they'll come back. Had never happened before, and has not happened since. They just couldn't lose.

The last week of 2008 was so crazy. The walk of grand slam against the Pirates. The final day. The Rickie Weeks three run homer on Friday night against the Cubs. It was so fun and so eventful.

I went to the first game of the 2011 NLDS against the D-Backs. That was a blast. I thought the roof was going to come off the place when Fielder hit the home run.

The Randy Wolf start in the 2011 LCS was especially big for me. He had closed the season out with 2 bad starts, then was bad in the Division Series against Arizona, and then in a must-win game, he came up huge to bring the series back to even.

I was at Miller Park the night Carlos Gomez robbed Joey Votto in the 9th to secure the win. That was also a fabulous moment.

I don't remember the exact date, but I was at an '08 game against the Pirates in late September at home in the thick of the playoff race. Prince walked it off with a HR in I want to say the 11th or 12th inning. That was a great moment.

I'm not sure if the smiley face means you're being sarcastic or not, but there is no "T" in his name.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sexsori01.shtml

Cursed google search... My brain put a "T" in so I googled it to double check. When it came up that way, I didn't follow the link... My bad. :(

Archived