Brewer Fanatic

Morosi Predicts a July Khris Davis Trade

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Angels are without a LF and missed on all the impact corner OFs and up against the luxury tax limit. What about Taylor Ward and Kyle Kubitza for Davis?

Don't see much in their system, at least the top 30

Angels system is bad.

I'm not a fan of the proposal because Ward really projects more as a back up than a starter. I'm sure people will see that he hit .348 on 200 ABs between Rookie and Low A ball - but he's never been seen as a guy who's going to hit that well. And he's never hit for power - in college or the minors. Some critiques of Ward are shown elsewhere in this thread.

Kubitza isn't bad looking, but he's not that good either. Atlanta gave him up last year for a couple of A ball guys of little distinction. I'd sort of put him on par with Cecchini - there's some potential, but it's nothing I'd bet on. He's a fine guy to get as a throw in on a deal - but he's nothing special.

Of course, if the club loves Ward, maybe they like such a move. I just don't want to deal Davis for a couple of guys who don't project to be starters in the big leagues.

I should add that Davis would fit in well for them. It's just getting players we like back that's the issue.

Agreed that:

1. The Angels seem a great fit with left field opening and not willing to pay a big contract.

2. Their prospects are not a lot to pick from.

Is one of their excess starting pitchers a better match?

Not sure they would do a Davis for Andrew Heaney deal. Is Shoemaker or Santiago enough for Krush? Is Tyler Skaggs coming back from Tommy John too big of a risk?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Agreed that:

1. The Angels seem a great fit with left field opening and not willing to pay a big contract.

2. Their prospects are not a lot to pick from.

Is one of their excess starting pitchers a better match?

Not sure they would do a Davis for Andrew Heaney deal. Is Shoemaker or Santiago enough for Krush? Is Tyler Skaggs coming back from Tommy John too big of a risk?

Andrew Heaney would be a nice get, but I think the Angels are counting on him being in their rotation this year.

I'm not a Shoemaker fan - just doesn't look that good - and at 29 he's not going to change much. Santiago is solid, but he only has a couple of years of control - so I'm not interested (plus the guy gives up a ton of HRs - I'm wary of those kinds of guys).

I liked Skaggs a couple of years ago, but I really haven't heard much about his recovery.

The Angels farm is terrible. I think for Khris Davis you would need to get C Taylor Ward and have someone like LHP Hector Santiago going to a third team (with prospects coming to the Brewers).

Honestly, take Ward & whatever else they will give you. Davis is not Lucroy and we don't need the world for. Ward could be a very good catching prospect & move fairly quick (for a catcher). We really need a catching prospect & we need to make room for Domingo to get his regular ABs

Their system is terrible but they other pieces they can add to Ward to get a deal done

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

CBS Sports article summarizing the current outfield trade market...

OF trade market comes into focus following Upton, Cespedes signings

Here is the excerpt most relevant to the Brewers...

Over the last few days the free-agent outfield market has thinned out due to the Justin Upton and Yoenis Cespedes signings. They were the two best outfielders available by no small margin. Dexter Fowler, who is tied to draft-pick compensation, and Austin Jackson are the best available free-agent outfielders.

Plenty of clubs still need outfield help at the moment. The Orioles, Indians, Angels, and White Sox jump to mind. The Cardinals, Royals, and Cubs could all add a depth outfielder under the right circumstances as well. With free agency thinned out, the trade market could heat up in the weeks leading up to spring training. Here are the best outfield trade candidates at the moment.

Ryan Braun and Khris Davis, Milwaukee Brewers

The Brewers are in the middle of a full blown rebuild and, unsurprisingly, Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel recently reported the club "would not hesitate" to trade Braun. The problem? Braun's production has slipped in recent years and there's still five years and $100 million left on his contract. You're not going to find many teams willing to take on that kind of commitment.

Davis is another possibility. His name has popped up trade rumors this winter (mostly speculation more than hard rumors) and the 28-year-old is a bonafide right-hander power source: he hit 27 homers in only 440 plate appearances in 2015. Davis isn't much defensively, but he has power, and he'll remain under team control as an arbitration-eligible player through 2019. Don't be surprised if he's the next veteran piece to move as part of the club's rebuild.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I would wait and see if the NL is going to have a DH in 2017 before I trade Davis, unless I'm blown away by an offer

Yah you would think his cheap control and production would be really attractive if a DH was put in place so fast. Suddenly 15 teams would need a DH suddenly.

I am still skeptical it will be put in place in 2017. That seems too fast and 3 years seems more realistic.

I would wait and see if the NL is going to have a DH in 2017 before I trade Davis, unless I'm blown away by an offer

Yah you would think his cheap control and production would be really attractive if a DH was put in place so fast. Suddenly 15 teams would need a DH suddenly.

I am still skeptical it will be put in place in 2017. That seems too fast and 3 years seems more realistic.

If I'm the Brewers with Davis and Braun I'm voting for it to be put into place sooner. They are one NL team who is setup for a DH now.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If I'm the Brewers with Davis and Braun I'm voting for it to be put into place sooner. They are one NL team who is setup for a DH now.

I hope they don't vote to permanently ruin NL baseball based on a marginal advantage in a couple of rebuilding seasons.

I hope they don't vote to permanently ruin NL baseball based on a marginal advantage in a couple of rebuilding seasons.

No, I would vote for the DH for the NL because it gives the AL an advantage. I would rather both leagues have pitchers hitting, but that is not happening, so make them both DH. It may cost more to field a team than what the NL is used to, but at least the NL teams will be bringing a good hitter up to the plate instead of someone who is usually a pinch hitter. I would think that outweighs the fact that NL pitchers can I assume bunt (if not hit) much better than their AL counterparts.

I was looking at it more like now we have to guys who could really use the DH spot that might have more value on the trade market. Davis to avoid his defense and Braun to hopefully cut down on his injuries.

I vote for DH because it brings more offense to the NL. It takes more skill to manage an NL team but really I prefer a team to be able to put it's best 9 hitters in the lineup

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Question: If Davis is currently looked at as a valuable trade chip rather than a building piece because of his defensive limitations, does the Stearns front office do a 180 and view him in a new light if the NL adopts the DH in 2017? Does the 2017 OF become Braun/Phillips/Santana with Davis entrenched as the DH?
Gruber Lawffices

Question: If Davis is currently looked at as a valuable trade chip rather than a building piece because of his defensive limitations, does the Stearns front office do a 180 and view him in a new light if the NL adopts the DH in 2017? Does the 2017 OF become Braun/Phillips/Santana with Davis entrenched as the DH?

Good question. I still don't think so as Davis isn't a Stearns type player he's building an organization with. I see Braun as DH with someone like Reed in LF (eventually Trent Clark) given his solid defense/arm, speed, high OBP and contact

Good question. I still don't think so as Davis isn't a Stearns type player he's building an organization with. I see Braun as DH with someone like Reed in LF (eventually Trent Clark) given his solid defense/arm, speed, high OBP and contact

Well it doesn't sound like the DH is coming any time soon, LINK. Even if it was on the horizon I don't think the Brewers can afford to have potential future DH candidates influence their current decision making process.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I was reading a sports writer who said he thought the Yankees would use Carlos Beltran at first base with Bird out, opening an outfield spot. I don't know what the deal is with Texieria, maybe they just view him as a DH now.

I would think they would go after Alvarez before Davis since he won't cost prospects and his normal position is 1B. Was Bird DH-ing? I still think Alvarez makes more sense for the Yankees. Boras wins again! :rolleyes
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Archived