Brewer Fanatic

Morosi Predicts a July Khris Davis Trade

it doesn't seem he thinks this is going to be a 1 or 2 year rebuild.

Stearns has said that there isn't a timetable on the rebuild, but it seems to me that going after prospects in the lower minors is more a function of having more prospect depth in the upper minors than anything to do with a timetable anyway. Stearns has also spoken about keeping a stream of quality talent coming into the big leagues as a linchpin for the franchise's success. If the top cupboard is getting full, start filling up the bottom cupboard.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's pretty clear Stearns is tending to both the upper & lower minors at once, all while picking up some low-risk one-time prospects who have a chance at the big-league roster this spring, an approach which makes the most sense to me. I'd be far more concerned if he were focusing primarily on only one particular level or age.

I like the idea of a Davis trade a lot, and sooner vs. later, but there are still 1.5 months left before spring training and most of the biggest-name FA outfielders are still on the market. To me that translates to "no rush and no have-to," which allows the Brewers to be patient and wait for the best deal when it comes along. He's got a single very-plus tool (power hitting) which other teams will covet, which, along with low enough service time, would seem to give us a chance at a pretty solid return.

Khris Davis could help his value immensely. Offense has been dry at recent deadlines and a big first half could put us in line to reap big benefits off a cheap and controlled power bat. Now whether Khris Davis can do that who knows. Some have said he is a slow starter, but every year can be different.

No -- absolutely not. He's 28 & it's very clear that he's not going to improve notably. GMs & talent evaluators don't make small-sample assessments like fans assume they do & like fans themselves do. Just like a club that liked him wouldn't hesitate to trade for him if he had a bad month to start the season, a good month or two isn't going to change things. He can't change his value immensely in either direction at this point... and it can honestly only go down.

Come on man, only a Sith deals with absolutes.

Touché!

The change in market alone could change his value immensely. So no, you are wrong. Not saying it will or won't happen...but it easily could.

You & I have drastically different understandings of the word "immensely." Could he increase his value? Maybe a small amount, but it would be more due to a team having an increased need than Davis getting massively better at baseball. The reality is that he is who he is & won't improve much more.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well I don't know what his value is now so immensely may be an exaggeration. If there aren't many teams chasing him for his cheap contract the interest right now is probably pretty limited. Now if you take that low value and he suddenly has a big first half and then the outfield market is shallow at the deadline his value would be way higher.

The increase in value between now and the deadline depends a lot on his current value which no one really knows.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just like with Lucroy or anyone else, I think it all comes down to who needs Davis' bat, and are they willing (and able) to pay our price. We can wait on moving Davis if the right deal is there, but I think he goes if Stearns likes an offer. The thing about Stearns is that he doesn't seem looked in on getting a specific piece(s). He's not insisting on 'major league ready pitching' or a specific position. That allows him to make a deal a lot easier. As we saw with Lind, he was good taking low level guys.

apparently the Angels are looking for an affordable upgrade in LF. http://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/44444/Angels-Seeking-Upgrade-In-Left-Field-But-Options-Limited

as previously stated, I would be hesitant to trade Davis at this point, as I think he has room to increase his trade value this season and it won't be for another season before we'll have a logjam in the OF. however, depending on what they have to give- could be a good move- Davis fits the bill for what they're looking for.

I would absolutely not deal Davis until Santana proves he can make enough contact against major league pitching

Santana is definitely the reason Davis or Braun should be traded, but how is he supposed to prove anything against MLB pitching if he's sitting in AAA? I really don't want to see him sitting on the MLB bench getting sporadic playing time, which also wouldn't prove whether he could hit MLB pitching, as many players have trouble hitting when they don't get regular PAs.

If the market for corner OF is down, then there is no need to force a trade, as Santana can start the year in AAA. However, at some point we will probably have to deal one (or both) of Davis/Braun and bring Santana up. There is of course risk involved when trading a MLB player and calling up a MiLB player, but has shown he can play in the majors, and the Brewers are in a position where that is a risk worth taking, assuming Stearns can bring back a lot of value in trade.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
apparently the Angels are looking for an affordable upgrade in LF. http://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/44444/Angels-Seeking-Upgrade-In-Left-Field-But-Options-Limited

as previously stated, I would be hesitant to trade Davis at this point, as I think he has room to increase his trade value this season and it won't be for another season before we'll have a logjam in the OF. however, depending on what they have to give- could be a good move- Davis fits the bill for what they're looking for.

Unfortunately, the Angels have one of the worst systems in baseball.

Santana is a complete wild card in my opinion; but his success or failure won't make or break the Brewers. They still have Braun, Phillips, Reed, Davis, Clark, Taylor, Coulter, Harrison, and Roache among others. OF is perhaps the one place where they can afford to have a prospect or two flop just because there are so many options. If Santana doesn't work out for whatever reason the Brewers have 3 or 4 guys at AA or AAA that will be next man up including at least two in Phillips and Reed that can play CF.

Come on man, only a Sith deals with absolutes.

[sarcasm]So... you are a Sith?[/sarcasm] :devil

No, but he is a Star Wars fan and that line always makes me laugh because a Jedi is the one saying it when the statement itself is an absolute.

Santana is a complete wild card in my opinion; but his success or failure won't make or break the Brewers. They still have Braun, Phillips, Reed, Davis, Clark, Taylor, Coulter, Harrison, and Roache among others. OF is perhaps the one place where they can afford to have a prospect or two flop just because there are so many options. If Santana doesn't work out for whatever reason the Brewers have 3 or 4 guys at AA or AAA that will be next man up including at least two in Phillips and Reed that can play CF.

Why wait if you think Santana might not work out. Why not deal him while he should have significant value or any of the other OF prospects for a position of greater need and lesser depth like 1B? They dealt a young player in Sardinas for another young player because they were comfortable with the middle infield depth and Sardinas likely had as much trade value as the incumbent, Segura. Just pointing out as Morosi did that a current Brewer has trade value and that makes a deal likely involving that player in the near future is way too simplistic. Especially as in the case with Davis, the team has 4 more years of control and a bare bones payroll that could easily absorb his arby years raises. Now Melvin was the epitome of a simplistic GM style. I don't think they hired Stearns to do a paint by numbers rebuild though.

The angels system is garbage but I'd trade Davis for Taylor ward right now. We have nothing for catchers and ward is legit.

MLB.com calls Ward “primarily a catch-and-throw guy,” noting that his arm and overall defensive potential should make him at least an MLB backup but that his hitting isn’t as strong. Baseball America (subscription-only) offers similar praise for Ward’s excellent arm but notes that his offense is a concern despite a bit of power, pointing out that he “lacks a natural feel for hitting.”

And he's only had 200 AB's in the minors so listing stats isn't all that helpful even though he had a great first 200 AB's.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The angels system is garbage but I'd trade Davis for Taylor ward right now. We have nothing for catchers and ward is legit.

I wouldn't do that, no way, no how... Davis is far more valuable than a catcher with his ability. I think some of us are under-valuing Davis, hopefully, Stearns does not.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I wouldn't do that, no way, no how... Davis is far more valuable than a catcher with his ability. I think some of us are under-valuing Davis, hopefully, Stearns does not.

Agree with turborickey. Davis has four years of cheap control of a good MLB player. Assuming Stearns trades him for minor leaguers, he should at least net one guy in the upper minors who has a good chance of being a decent MLB player, along with another "gem" or two in the lower minors.

I can't see him being traded for a guy with limited time in pro ball that looks to top out as a good defense/no hit (probably backup) catcher. That sound like you'd be trading him for a guy who hopes to become as good as Martin Maldonado.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Do the White Sox have anything left of value in their system? If they miss out on the remaining FA corner OF's they seem like a good fit for Davis - they play in a HR-happy park and have some dominant starting pitching that helps mask defensive deficiencies. Plus, the White Sox to me are an organization that's been more than willing to use their farm system as tradebait to try and fill MLB roster holes in order to piece together contending teams, rather than go for a gut rebuild at the MBL level.

Do the White Sox have anything left of value in their system? If they miss out on the remaining FA corner OF's they seem like a good fit for Davis - they play in a HR-happy park and have some dominant starting pitching that helps mask defensive deficiencies. Plus, the White Sox to me are an organization that's been more than willing to use their farm system as tradebait to try and fill MLB roster holes in order to piece together contending teams, rather than go for a gut rebuild at the MBL level.

The White Sox have some interesting players. Obviously Carson Fulmer and Spencer Adams jump out at you and then there's some really young prospects with interesting upside. Tim Anderson is a stud and Trey Michalczweski is a top 10 ranked 3B on MLB.com. Micker Adolfo is a tool shed and Jhoandro Alfaro is the younger brother of the best catching prospect in baseball.

@WiscoSportsNut

I'd prefer he'd be traded before spring training but during the season is fine by me because that means he's not part of the future (nor should he be)!! Trading Davis leaves us with Braun, Broxton, Santana starting and Kirk/Flores on bench heading into March. Santana needs to play every day, nothing left to prove in minors.

I'd prefer he'd be traded before spring training but during the season is fine by me because that means he's not part of the future (nor should he be)!! Trading Davis leaves us with Braun, Broxton, Santana starting and Kirk/Flores on bench heading into March. Santana needs to play every day, nothing left to prove in minors.

I'd prefer guys like Lucroy and Davis be traded tomorrow, but that may just not be realistic. The market might just not be there for Khris Davis right now. Hopefully Stearns times it right and gets the most value he can.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Texas... Start with Brett Nicolas, left handed hitting catcher, then add another piece or two.

Angels...Start with Kyle Kubitza, left handed hitting 3B, then add another piece.

White Sox...Trey Michalczewski, 20 year old left handed hitting 3B.

I would plus or minus any of these guys for Davis.

Archived