Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Eric Young Jr. to minor league contract [Latest: traded to Yankees for cash; post 68]

pacopete4

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/blogs/363750551.html

Minor league contract with big league invitation to Spring Training. Will make $1mil if he makes the Brewers roster. Another versatile player for Counsell to possibly use.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As the article mentions, if Eric makes the team, he'd be part of the third father-son combo to play for the Brewers (Tito and Terry Francona, Davey and Derrick May, and Eric Young and Eric Young Jr.).

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

He was pretty good in 2014 (316 PA, 1.3 fWAR) and in the two seasons before that, by which I mean "good" for a scrapheap player who will cost us nothing. Last year he was bad (94 PA, -0.5 fWAR), but that may have been due to a .194 BABIP.

Another smart pickup who might contribute in CF or as a utility player.

He's a small switch hitter with some plate discipline who can play multiple positions... how did we not see this coming?

Edit: The only other guy on MLBTR's free agent tracker who really meets these qualifications is Jonathan Herrera, but he's going to be 31 next year. I'm sure there are some minor league free agents still out there like this, though. I'll comb through that list some other time.

We really are putting together the 2002 Milwaukee Brewer MLB roster.

[sarcasm]Do Jeffrey Hammonds and Raul Casonova have sons we can pick up?[/sarcasm]

On a completed related note to this thread, any idea who the first pick in the 2017 draft is supposed to be?

On a completed related note to this thread, any idea who the first pick in the 2017 draft is supposed to be?

Obviously a lot can change prior to June of 2017, but two college players come to mind: Catcher JJ Schwartz of Florida, and Outfielder (and Wisconsin native) Jeren Kendall of Vanderbilt

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Obviously a lot can change prior to June of 2017, but two college players come to mind: Catcher JJ Schwartz of Florida, and Outfielder (and Wisconsin native) Jeren Kendall of Vanderbilt

Schwarz was a 17th round Brewers pick in 2014.

It's interesting to look back at our four consecutive top ten picks that laid a good chunk of the foundation for the FunRun that lasted from 2005 until about August of 2013.

Fielder #7 in 2002, Weeks #2 in 2003, Rogers #5 in 2004 & Braun #5 in 2005. Out of that group you got two elite (in their prime) hitters in Braun & Fielder, one averagish regular with flashes of brilliance in Weeks and a total bust in Rogers.

This year we're picking number five with most people likely expecting another top five pick after this year and maybe another top ten pick or two in the seasons following. I guess my only hope is if we do end up as good as the 2002 team this year that the 2017 draft isn't as much of a dud as the 2003 draft was.

It's interesting to look back at our four consecutive top ten picks that laid a good chunk of the foundation for the FunRun that lasted from 2005 until about August of 2013.

Fielder #7 in 2002, Weeks #2 in 2003, Rogers #5 in 2004 & Braun #5 in 2005. Out of that group you got two elite (in their prime) hitters in Braun & Fielder, one averagish regular with flashes of brilliance in Weeks and a total bust in Rogers.

This year we're picking number five with most people likely expecting another top five pick after this year and maybe another top ten pick or two in the seasons following. I guess my only hope is if we do end up as good as the 2002 team this year that the 2017 draft isn't as much of a dud as the 2003 draft was.

Thats the key to these signings; the strength of the 2017 draft? The obvious tanking by Stearns is all well and good if the prize is a Harper, not so much if its a Weeks/Young.

I actually expect him to follow the Houston model completely. Take a guy at 1 that is slotted below that and use the pool money to sign the unsignable later in the draft.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He's a small switch hitter with some plate discipline who can play multiple positions... how did we not see this coming?

Edit: The only other guy on MLBTR's free agent tracker who really meets these qualifications is Jonathan Herrera, but he's going to be 31 next year. I'm sure there are some minor league free agents still out there like this, though. I'll comb through that list some other time.

That certainly seems to be the targeted attributes, doesn't it? I don't know if that's the new "market inefficiency", but that's certainly what Stearns is going after. It's also what makes me think that guys like Gennett and Segura and Davis will be gone sooner rather than later. Scooter lacks both plate discipline and versatility, as does Segura, and Davis, while increasing his walk totals this past year, appears to have absolutely only one position he can play.

Thats the key to these signings; the strength of the 2017 draft?

I don't get your anger at these minor moves. It seems that since Stearns traded Lind for three teenage pitchers instead of a AA/AAA guy you have hated every move he's made.

The "key" to the moves he's made is to add young talent that can help them down the road, while adding some role-players to compete in Spring Training to see if any of them impress enough to make the opening day roster as a bench player.

Right now, we have our OF set, with an extra corner OF who will start in AAA if another trade isn't made. We have our SS, and a LH 2nd baseman, and we have brought in multiple guys to back up the middle IF. Cecchini is 24-year-old former top prospect, and he will likely be our starting 3B. As of now, we have Lucroy and Maldonado at C, and our starting rotation and bullpen seem to be pretty well set. We need a first baseman, and obviously guys like Young and Nieuwenhuis were not brought in to fill this spot... they are simply guys hoping to fill the bench.

We will probably trade Lucroy and one of Davis/Braun, but have not yet done so. Doing so will hurt the 2016 team, but should stack the farm even further, elevating it to one of the best farms in baseball. If they decide to start Young in RF over Braun, and trade all of our pitchers for bat boys, then I will agree that the sole goal of Stearns is to tank the season and put a bad product on the field. Otherwise, I will believe that they are making moves for the future, but are not purposely trying to lose games in 2016.

I guess I would like to ask who you think they should sign. I don't think there is anyone on the planet who would turn this into a World Series contender, we can't afford to strap ourselves down with a Zimmerman-type contract, and I doubt most decent free agents would even want to sign a multi-year deal with a team that is obviously in the beginning stages of a rebuild.

Guys like Young could actually help the team this year in a bench role, or they could get jettisoned in spring training. It's a perfectly fine no risk/some reward, minor league deal, and certainly does not prove that Stearns is doing everything to make the 2016 Brewers the worst team in baseball.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Davis & Braun both in the same outfield makes no sense in any sort of new paradigm. Both are below average left-fielders. The old days of trying to fit inefficient defense into the lineup in order to get more HR's is hopefully behind us.

Braun & Davis may remain in the same outfield next year as it is just part of the rebuild but I highly doubt they will both be on the roster beyond 2016

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Thats the key to these signings; the strength of the 2017 draft?

I don't get your anger at these minor moves. It seems that since Stearns traded Lind for three teenage pitchers instead of a AA/AAA guy you have hated every move he's made.

The "key" to the moves he's made is to add young talent that can help them down the road, while adding some role-players to compete in Spring Training to see if any of them impress enough to make the opening day roster as a bench player.

Right now, we have our OF set, with an extra corner OF who will start in AAA if another trade isn't made. We have our SS, and a LH 2nd baseman, and we have brought in multiple guys to back up the middle IF. Cecchini is 24-year-old former top prospect, and he will likely be our starting 3B. As of now, we have Lucroy and Maldonado at C, and our starting rotation and bullpen seem to be pretty well set. We need a first baseman, and obviously guys like Young and Nieuwenhuis were not brought in to fill this spot... they are simply guys hoping to fill the bench.

We will probably trade Lucroy and one of Davis/Braun, but have not yet done so. Doing so will hurt the 2016 team, but should stack the farm even further, elevating it to one of the best farms in baseball. If they decide to start Young in RF over Braun, and trade all of our pitchers for bat boys, then I will agree that the sole goal of Stearns is to tank the season and put a bad product on the field. Otherwise, I will believe that they are making moves for the future, but are not purposely trying to lose games in 2016.

I guess I would like to ask who you think they should sign. I don't think there is anyone on the planet who would turn this into a World Series contender, we can't afford to strap ourselves down with a Zimmerman-type contract, and I doubt most decent free agents would even want to sign a multi-year deal with a team that is obviously in the beginning stages of a rebuild.

Guys like Young could actually help the team this year in a bench role, or they could get jettisoned in spring training. It's a perfectly fine no risk/some reward, minor league deal, and certainly does not prove that Stearns is doing everything to make the 2016 Brewers the worst team in baseball.

Whoa. No anger here. Not one bit. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that Sterns is turning the MLB roster into the 2011-2013 Astros. The goal most certainly is to make the MLB roster the worst in baseball and that is a good thing in the long run. The model is quite apparent in the Cubs and Astros.

Just because I'm pointing out that these signings are bad baseball players does not mean I'm against the end game. Quite the opposite. I'm happy we aren't adding big contracts in a Herb Kohl type move to get to 500. We are adding horrible players who are cheap, not part of our future, and will lose a bunch of games.

I want the Brewers to have the first pick in the draft the next 2-3 years and this offseason is an excellent step in that direction.

I don't think Braun is below average in left. If for no other reason than the level of the average defensive player in left is not very good. I also think Davis defensive deficiencies are way over blown. He certainly has a noodle for an arm but he does seem to get decent jumps and takes good routes to the ball. I wouldn't exactly call him good but how bad he is seems overdone. I am all for putting offense first players in left. It seems stupid to value defense in a position where it is least valuable.

As far as Young goes I wonder if they aren't looking at him just for the base stealing ability. I think one of the roster spots most underutilized is that last bench spot. It hardly ever goes to someone who can actually hit and is usually more of an emergency type player than anything. Why not use that spot for a dedicated base stealer for late game situations? At least it provides something that can be used on a regular basis.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I don't think Braun is below average in left. If for no other reason than the level of the average defensive player in left is not very good. I also think Davis defensive deficiencies are way over blown. He certainly has a noodle for an arm but he does seem to get decent jumps and takes good routes to the ball. I wouldn't exactly call him good but how bad he is seems overdone. I am all for putting offense first players in left. It seems stupid to value defense in a position where it is least valuable.

As far as Young goes I wonder if they aren't looking at him just for the base stealing ability. I think one of the roster spots most underutilized is that last bench spot. It hardly ever goes to someone who can actually hit and is usually more of an emergency type player than anything. Why not use that spot for a dedicated base stealer for late game situations? At least it provides something that can be used on a regular basis.

Back in the day that was the case. Guys like Herb Washington and Miguel Dilone come to mind. But that's when there were 10 man pitching staffs so the bench could afford a no hit base stealer. This signing is just a guy. Maybe he will be a back up if Scooter and Segura are traded?

Whoa. No anger here. Not one bit. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that Sterns is turning the MLB roster into the 2011-2013 Astros. The goal most certainly is to make the MLB roster the worst in baseball and that is a good thing in the long run. The model is quite apparent in the Cubs and Astros.

I don't think that is the goal at all. Granted the primary goal isn't the major league roster next season but i seriously doubt the goal is to be the worst team in the league just to get the top pick. I think what many people here are missing is this isn't the Atros or Cubs of five or six years ago. We are way ahead of those teams. They had horrible farm systems and nobody of value at the major league level. Our farm system is far form one of the worst. In fact there are some people who are starting to look at them as one of the top farms in baseball. Jim Callis tweeted he thinks it might be top five this year. Christopher Crawford tweeted the Brewers might be his favorite system right now. Here is Jonathan Mayo's take on it. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/160576804/atlanta-braves-top-most-improved-farm-systems?topicid=151437456

I just don't see a team like that tanking just for the top draft pick. With guys like Arcia, Santana, Philips an Lopez coming along it seems wrong to tank just for a draft pick that wouldn't be ready until those guys are about to hit free agency. Seems more prudent to me to find players to compliment the next wave of stars already in the system. Basically I just don't believe the parallels to the Astros and Cubs are strong enough to be the model for how we should go about it. Just because Stearns came from the Astros doesn't mean he's going to copy what the Astros did Verbatim. My guess is the Astros wouldn't have done what they did if they inherited what Stearns has here. The two teams aren't in nearly the same situation when the respective GM's took over.

That doesn't even touch the fact that what worked in the past does not mean it will work as well in the future. In a copy cat league everyone wants to copy the flavor of the week. That in turn increases the odds each team that does the same thing will be less effective. Is it really wise, for instance, to race the Philly's, Braves and Reds to the bottom? After all three of the four teams are not going to succeed in being the worst. Notice four teams could copy the Astros and Cubs now instead of just those two doing it. That means instead of competing with one other team for the coveted first draft pick four are. Perhaps by next season six will be. After all conventional thinking says if it worked for the Cubs and Astos it should work for every team. At some point half the teams will be competing for the bottom. How's that gonna work out for most of them? Why not carve out our own way and be ahead of the curve for once?

Personally I think Stearns knows he is not in the same situation as the Cubs or Astors and is working accordingly. Why take five of six years when two or three will do? We aren't going to be good next year but we are not as far away as the Cubs or Astros were. So why follow their path of pain and torture for half a decade when we don't have to?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I don't think Braun is below average in left.

Braun ranked 32nd in MLB in Defensive WAR among LF's in his MVP year of 2011.

Khris Davis ranked 39th among LF's in Defensive WAR last year (minimum 300 at-bats)

They are both well below average defenders. Arguably they are brutally poor defenders.

Looking over Braun's defensive stats since 2009 he is around average in LF. He had a steady improvement until he moved to RF. I think average is a fair assessment. Picking out one year, especially one a few years back, is a misuse of defensive metrics.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't think Braun is below average in left.

Braun ranked 32nd in MLB in Defensive WAR among LF's in his MVP year of 2011.

Khris Davis ranked 39th among LF's in Defensive WAR last year (minimum 300 at-bats)

They are both well below average defenders. Arguably they are brutally poor defenders.

Defensive WAR isn't close to being a legitimate statistic....yet. Braun is average in LF as a worst case scenario. He's actually pretty solid there. He's worse in RF.

Additionally, to another poster who said Braun and Davis can hit. False. Braun can hit. Davis can solely hit home runs. There's a big difference between both. Braun is also much better defensively than Davis. Davis is decent at reading balls, taking routes and such but obviously had a horrendous arm. Braun covers more ground than Davis and has a much better arm.

Brauns contract will turn out to be a steal based on what others are signing now and will sign over the next year or two. Davis will be traded as he's the opposite of what Stearns looks for and I'm all for that as I can't stand him, personally!! Lucroy, Segura, Scooter will all be traded as well eventually. Hopefully Garza comes out of the gates hot and gets traded too by the break. Maybe Will Smith or Jeffress as well.

But regarding OF there might be 5 spots open between Braun, Santana, Broxton, Flores, Kirk, EY.

Archived