Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Zimmerman, Ryan Howard, Peyton Manning, Others linked to HGH and other drugs

Bombers

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14441114/documentary-links-peyton-manning-other-pro-athletes-use-peds

I have no idea on the truth of the allegations, but I have always said how is it that only high profile baseball players get busted for HGH? You never hear of any big names from football or basketball. Are baseball players the only idiots who put their name on it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HGH in football I'm sure is more rampant than steroids in baseball. We all knew (at least all of us that are over 40) knew Canseco was taking steroids in the last 80's. We all had a laughed reading the stories of Canseco playing bumper cars with his wife and their BMW and Porsche. We all pretty much know that football players use HGH. It seems as if the public doesn't really care.

HGH in football I'm sure is more rampant than steroids in baseball. We all knew (at least all of us that are over 40) knew Canseco was taking steroids in the last 80's. We all had a laughed reading the stories of Canseco playing bumper cars with his wife and their BMW and Porsche. We all pretty much know that football players use HGH. It seems as if the public doesn't really care.

While that may be true, why are there never reports about it?

While that may be true, why are there never reports about it?

Does the NFL even test for HGH and if so, when did they start doing so? It seems like for quite some time the public has been much more prone to hold MLB to a higher standard than the beloved cash cow/physical freak show that is today's NFL.

Does the NFL even test for HGH and if so, when did they start doing so? It seems like for quite some time the public has been much more prone to hold MLB to a higher standard than the beloved cash cow/physical freak show that is today's NFL.

I personally believe people care more about PED's in baseball more than football is the care about record holders. Baseball has relatively stayed the same in the last 96 years besides the games played per season going from 154 to 162. The game style of football has changes drastically in the last 100 years. Football has ranged from 10 games to 16 games per season in the last 75 years. Personally, OJ's 2000 yards in 1973 is more impressive than Adrian Peterson in 2012.

A lot of it is how big of a deal the leagues make of it. MLB is very strict and makes a big deal. NFL doesn't really put that much pressure on it and their suspensions are kind of lame. Not to mention the NFL is suppose to be just giant people destroying eachother where MLB is more finesse like and not all about that.

Records/Stats are also a big difference between the two. Didn't Peyton Manning just break a major record and no one really cares. It just another footnote about the game. Now if A-Rod keeps mashing HRs and goes to break the record there will be a ton of coverage. Ticket prices will skyrockets. Million of cameras flashing...big deal for the sport.

Honestly it comes down to MLB being more old school. I always say football is a sport for idiots to watch. It is simple and you don't really have to pay attention outside of the 60minutes during the game. People just want to watch football they don't care if some guy is juicing.

A lot of it is how big of a deal the leagues make of it. MLB is very strict and makes a big deal. NFL doesn't really put that much pressure on it and their suspensions are kind of lame. Not to mention the NFL is suppose to be just giant people destroying eachother where MLB is more finesse like and not all about that.

Records/Stats are also a big difference between the two. Didn't Peyton Manning just break a major record and no one really cares. It just another footnote about the game. Now if A-Rod keeps mashing HRs and goes to break the record there will be a ton of coverage. Ticket prices will skyrockets. Million of cameras flashing...big deal for the sport.

Honestly it comes down to MLB being more old school. I always say football is a sport for idiots to watch. It is simple and you don't really have to pay attention outside of the 60minutes during the game. People just want to watch football they don't care if some guy is juicing.

I don't get it when people say football is for idiots. One could argue more people pay attention to what is happening in a football game than a baseball game. As a fan of both sports I just don't get this comment. When I go to football games everyone is tuned into the game. When I go to baseball games, it's more a 50/50 proposition of people paying attention

Football games are shorter, more fast paced, one game a week, 16 vs. 162 game schedule, much easier to follow, draft picks are immediately on the team, no small/big markets so all teams are built similar, no prospects, need to trade big time players not needed.

You don't have to commit the time or thought to watch football. You can just turn it on one day a week and be good. Easy to do that.

Football games are shorter, more fast paced, one game a week, 16 vs. 162 game schedule, much easier to follow, draft picks are immediately on the team, no small/big markets so all teams are built similar, no prospects, need to trade big time players not needed.

You don't have to commit the time or thought to watch football. You can just turn it on one day a week and be good. Easy to do that.

I agree with you and this is what you should have said without using the word idiots. Football is just less a of a time commitment than every other sport, therefore it's easier to follow and understand. Although, after having spent time with family over the last few days and been forced to listen to people who actually do pay pretty close attention to it, I'm not sure how true that is.

NFL games this season are averaging 3 hours and 12 minutes this season. In 2014, MLB games averaged 3 hours and 2 minutes. Fast paced is a subjective opinion, but I think that NFL games have a ton of standing around with players doing nothing.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Oh, and the informant who named everybody to the reporter has recanted his story, saying he just made stuff up.

Sly told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that he isn't a pharmacist and wasn't at the Guyer Institute in 2011, as Al Jazeera claimed. State licensing records indicate that a Charles David Sly was licensed as a pharmacy intern in Indiana from April 2010 to May 2013. His license expired May 1, 2013.

Sly also said he recanted his story to Al Jazeera when he realized that it had used information he had "made up" to British hurdler Liam Collins, the undercover reporter who Sly said was trying to get into the supplementation business.

"When I was there, I had never seen the Mannings ever. They were not even living there at that time," Sly said. "Someone who worked there said they had been there before. That was the extent of any knowledge I had. I feel badly. I never saw any files. This is just amazing that it reached this point."

NFL games this season are averaging 3 hours and 12 minutes this season. In 2014, MLB games averaged 3 hours and 2 minutes. Fast paced is a subjective opinion, but I think that NFL games have a ton of standing around with players doing nothing.

A football fan would probably say your last sentence applies much more to baseball than their sport of choice. The pace is much slower in baseball, but that's the inherent nature of the sport. If the batter doesn't put the ball in play, you're just watching two dudes play catch. I'd say the excitement/nervousness level felt while watching the two sports don't even compare. Football packs in way more excitement in three hours than baseball in my opinion.

The parity in football, along with a more compact number of games and more playoff teams, means that it's much more likely a less talented team may make the playoffs so nobody really writes their team off before opening day. For the most part, you can't say that about baseball. We fully expect the Brewers to be brutal for the next 2-3 seasons by design.

Gruber Lawffices

I'm not sure what to make of this. Unless I'm forgetting someone, every guy who's spilled the beans on supplying players has been proven correct. This guy, however, has said he lied about everything. Really interested to see what comes of this. I personally don't give two craps about PED's in any sport but I'm a huge Peyton Manning fan and he's really quickly gone to almost embarrassing lengths to try and prove his innocence.

So he was making it up, but he has video of Taylor Teagarden admitting use? That doesn't make sense.

Teagarden was caught talking about taking PED's on video. Everyone else was named by the guy. Two different situations.

Not really -same guy is involved. Teagarden is talking to him on the video. In other words he has one guy on camera and then decides to name others that are innocent? Not likely.

Oh, and the informant who named everybody to the reporter has recanted his story, saying he just made stuff up.

I'm not passing judgment on the story because I simply don't care, but the guy is surely going overboard with the denials in order avoid any potential defamation liability. What he says/denies at this point is meaningless.

So he was making it up, but he has video of Taylor Teagarden admitting use? That doesn't make sense.

Teagarden was caught talking about taking PED's on video. Everyone else was named by the guy. Two different situations.

Not really -same guy is involved. Teagarden is talking to him on the video. In other words he has one guy on camera and then decides to name others that are innocent? Not likely.

Either way, Teagarden admitted himself while Sly just named names.

Least credible TV network in the history of ever.

This story deserves the amount of attention the network deserves. None.

I really, really hope this isn't a case of Islamophobia due to their name, but respected journalists know that Al Jazeera is a very credible news organization. This reporter's work, however, seems to be pretty suspect since they're not going by the "two sources" rule before going to print. They're just taking a pharmacy intern's statements and running with it.

Some of the details he threw out there make me think that there may be some truth here. Sure, it's one thing to toss big names like Manning, Clay Matthews, etc. But naming Mike Neal (who nobody outside of GB is familiar with), who went to college in-state at Purdue (the clinic is in Indianapolis), and has been suspended before for PED's, makes me think there could be something there.

Gruber Lawffices

No kidding. Football games today consist of 10 seconds of actual play, the refs standing around talking for 2 minutes, a challenge, a review, the refs standing and discussing things with coaches, then a huddle, then the players get set for the next play only to call a timeout because they play clock is about to hit 0 then after another minute or two another 10 second play. Lather, rinse, repeat.

As far as the story goes I have little doubt many players used HGH or other PEDs. But the story itself seems pretty weak. A guy who wasn't there at the time of the alleged incidents now says nothing he said was true is the basis for the story. Hard to say it has any credibility at all.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived