Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim catcher Josmil Pinto from Padres; Latest: Clears waivers, will be at big league camp (non-40 man roster)

brwrsfan
Squeezing in- if lucroy and Maldonado are not traded and we haven't brought anyone else in to play 1B and the Brewers are unwilling to risk passing pinto through waivers...could he play the weakside platoon at 1B? ....okay, that was a lot of if's...answered my own question- not going to get to that point.

If all those ifs happen I'd put Lucroy at first against lefties to minimize the injury and concussion risk.

The requirements are that a player be placed on waivers, traded, released, or sent to the minors. If the player is placed on waivers, it must be done during the first 7 days of the 10-day DFA period. Of course, we never know if a player has been on waivers unless he's claimed or outrighted.

If there's been no waiver claim or trade, I'd assume that Pinto would be outrighted. I'm not sure if his approval is necessary or not for him to be outrighted.

The bottom line is that the team has to do something. Nothing happens automatically.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Surprising that he went unclaimed and that he decided to stick around. There's plenty of other teams that could use him at least as an MLB backup and as long as Lucroy is in Milwaukee, Pinto is going to see very little of the MLB field. Maybe he or his agent was told Lucroy will almost certainly be gone come opening day.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is good news. For no apparent reason, I've chosen Pinto as my barely has a chance, quasi interesting person to watch this spring. He was bad last year, but I'm guessing will bounce back to the middle this year. Might be nothing, but you have to have someone to cheer for.

It seems we have a lot of mediocre depth at certain positions

Fixed. We are deep in players, but shallow in talent. There will be one or two guys that break out of the AAAA mold and make a nice career for themselves, but really not a lot of sure fire guys.

Archived