Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis from Mets

sauveb
"Mark A says there is no timeframe for this"

In other words he's asking fans not to hold them accountable. Ever.

It's never a good thing when people reading through these posts know exactly what name will appear next to the comment after reading. It's commonly referred to as a "broken record". That's you.

Merry Christmas

Funny. I was thinking the same thing when I saw that post.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The change from looking at 2017 with the Astros trade may have changed once Stearns came in and looked at the reality of the Cubs and Pirates and the Cardinals still being the Cardinals, current issues and all. Finishing 4th with 85 wins isnt going to help the Brewers get to the top, which is all that matters for a franchise that has never won a WS ultimately.

Not picking on you personally for this but I honestly don't get this line of thinking for a couple reasons. The first is I don't think the division is going to remain as great as it was last season over the next few seasons. Just because those three teams were good last season doesn't make them a lock to be good for the next three or so. The Pirates are about to hit the same situation the 2011 Brewers did. Their core of players are going to get expensive, Burnett is gone and Liriano isn't exactly young nor durable. The Cards have lost a few players and their core is getting old. Even the Cubs, who look to be the class of the division going forward may not get much, if any, better than they were last season. They stayed remarkably healthy and all of their young players played up to their potential. That rarely lasts over a three year period. They will have their Rickie Weeks and Cory Hart's as well. Odds are each team will have their version of Ryan Braun's thumb, Cory Hart's and Mat Gamel's knees. They will all also have some guys who just never put together consistent, year to year, high level production. They too will have their versions of JJ Hardy and Rickie Weeks. The Cubs already did with Starlin Castro. Going deeper into that a couple season's ago they had an embarrassment of riches at shortstop in the minors. The farm was so full of them nobody was sure what they would do with them all. This winter they had to go out and buy an older free agent to play shortstop. Things change far too quickly to predicate building your team on how other teams look today.

The second problem with building your team based on when the division might get weaker is it's the wrong thing to focus on. Given the predictability problems I stated above it seems silly to target players to be ready at some time when the division might not be as good. If we are going to do that why not just strive to put out 85 win teams and hope for that to be enough in five years? If we are building a team that is good enough to win championships then there is no need to worry about how good other teams in the division are. There will always be a great team that we need to beat if we are to win it all. It doesn't matter one hill of beans if that team is in our division or not. You don't win championships by trying to avoid teams when they are good because there will always be good teams. The key is being good yourself.

^^THIS.

You can't control other teams, only your own. Do what's right for yourself, try to be as wise as you can be about it, and let the chips fall where they may.

A couple years ago the Reds were a dominant team. Everyone figured they were top competition for our Brewers if not a serious obstacle. They won the division and were looking good. Then the next year the bottom fell out, mainly due to injuries, and the Reds were largely not playoff contenders (2011, I believe). The next year they were still seen as a top threat, had a decent year but weren't top-feeders, and basically have been crud ever since. . . . . By the logic some people here use, we should've tailored our processes around the Reds. My thoughts at the time mirror how I feel about the Cardinals, Cubs, & Pirates now: Don't worry about them, rather do things the right way for where we're at, do what we need to do, and take the right steps so we become a team that makes their seasons tougher and so hopefully our processes affect their actions rather than the reverse.

You can't promise a timetable to fans, and it probably isn't going to work to have one internally either. Stearns needs to take advantage of opportunities, and part of that is to stock the minors at all levels. That's what will sustain success. Bringing up one wave of players isn't going to do it; the system ultimately needs to be providing useful players to the major league team every year. Nobody can predict how those opportunities might arise. At this point, David has to go with the flow and grab the best talent available, regardless of level.

And by the way, let's not talk negatively about members in the third person as if they're not there. Either respond to the content of the message or read on until you have something constructive to add.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Timetables don't really matter & you can't put a date on them. You are simply infusing system with best talent you can find....from rookie ball to young MLB players. If we trade Lucroy and a couple other guys like Will Smith & Segura, post 2016 draft our 30-40th top prospects would arguably be top 10-15 in most other systems...... You load up the talent and wait till they start to produce

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived