Brewer Fanatic

Mat Latos

pacopete4

Brewers are one of four teams interested. Interesting rebound candidate.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/baltimore-orioles-interested-mat-latos-mlb.html

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think this is exactly the type of guy the Brewers need to be going after. Jungman and/or Davies can start in AAA, until someone inevitably gets hurt or if Latos/Garza stink up the joint.

I will also say, the Cubs signed a journeyman pitcher coming off a 5+ ERA and turned him into Arietta and Strop. I fully realize Latos probably will not turn it around and even if he does, the Crew will never hit the jackpot like that. However, they may be able to flip him for a controllable player that has upside.

Would have rather grabbed Chacin when he was available but Latos definitely fits that same profile of a guy in his late 20's with a prior track record of success that floundered a bit but is still young enough to regain it. I think it's put up or shut up time for Jungmann though who's 26 and wouldn't benefit by going back down to AAA. I can see parking Davies down there though in case Jungmann flounders though. In my world Latos would take Garza's spot who I'd just release regardless of his remaining salary.

Would have rather grabbed Chacin when he was available but Latos definitely fits that same profile of a guy in his late 20's with a prior track record of success that floundered a bit but is still young enough to regain it. I think it's put up or shut up time for Jungmann though who's 26 and wouldn't benefit by going back down to AAA. I can see parking Davies down there though in case Jungmann flounders though. In my world Latos would take Garza's spot who I'd just release regardless of his remaining salary.

First off...nice work on the double usage of "flounder" in one post...bravo!

I agree wholeheartedly on this idea as well. Sign Latos, hope he pans out and then trade him at the deadline. If not? Yay...better draft position!!

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Seems like a good bounce back candidate, my only and biggest issue would be him considered a "cancer" in the clubhouses he's been in the last couple years. With such a young ball club, would the front office want to bring someone in like that with his history of creating such tension?

Latos is an obvious bounce back candidate if you look at his peripherals. It's not like he's going to be cheap though, so I'm not sure if it's worth the gamble. Would we be better served just spending that $10+M on international prospects?

Latos is an obvious bounce back candidate if you look at his peripherals. It's not like he's going to be cheap though, so I'm not sure if it's worth the gamble. Would we be better served just spending that $10+M on international prospects?

Don't you only get so much to spend in that category now? And can't they do both?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think the injuries have pretty much ended his usefulness. I have no problem picking up a guy for one year but I think there are better options out there. Heck, I think I would take a shot at Cliff Lee before Latos.

I think the same things were said about Francisco Liriano before the Pirates grabbed him for a song a few years ago. Latos did have 4 starts last year where he went 7 innings and allowed one run or less so there's still talent there. Liriano had inconsistencies too the year before he landed in Pittsburgh with the occasional dominant start mixed in with a lot of messy ones. Do a thorough physical and watch him throw.

The Lee idea isn't bad either and one I've suggested. Lee being lefthanded might help the other Brewer starters because teams facing the Brewers don't get different looks.

Don't you only get so much to spend in that category now? And can't they do both?

There are caps but you can blow past them, like the Dodgers or Cubs. They could do both in theory, but not if Mark A only has $X to spend.

There are caps but you can blow past them, like the Dodgers or Cubs. They could do both in theory, but not if Mark A only has $X to spend.

Considering the current payroll projects to under $60 million, yeah he could spend a bit more. Signing a buy low veteran starter isn't going to set back a youth movement. All the young arms still have options, with most having multiple options left.

Considering the current payroll projects to under $60 million, yeah he could spend a bit more. Signing a buy low veteran starter isn't going to set back a youth movement. All the young arms still have options, with most having multiple options left.

Yes, but the question was whether we should spend more by putting that money into signing international prospects, or by putting it into a SP we don't necessarily need in the hope that he has a great first half and can be traded for prospects.

I would argue that $10M (for example) could net a lot more talent on the international market than trading Latos would get us.

When the Brewers signed Lara they barely had a 3+million allotment to do so. 10mil would be really 5mil +5mil taxes.

Latos was a blossoming#2 talent, but some injuries, attitude and maybe team clubhouses he's played for have disturbed him to reach that level. His attitude makes me think he'll hold out for most money. I don't believe he'll sign a Pirates Liriano type deal.

I don't like the guy. Cancer as been mentioned, in the clubhouse, poor attitude on the mound, not what I'd want the next Brewers group to grow around.

1yr deal special is all I'd do. And I'm guessing he's seeking 3-5.

I may be misinterpreting the situation, but I believe the Brewers would be unwise to exceed their J2 spending limit in 2016. With international draft seemingly imminent and penalties likely to be carried forward, they could be forfeiting high, cost controlled picks in 2017 and 2018.

I think hitting on decisions like this is equally important, if not more so, than drafting well. I prefer the ability to cherry pick others' farm systems in trades, rather than the complete uncertainty with the draft. As much as people complained about the return for Lind, we received 3 guys who have had some measure of success at the professional level. They've ridden the bus, they've passed the first test. This may only make sense to me...but I kind of view the draft as buying a lottery ticket, and trading for prospects as buying a raffle ticket. I just think the odds are better. I wouldn't go more than a year, and I wouldn't be tremendously worried about the salary. I think if you're up front with him, and tell him "Succeed and we'll put you in a pennant race", he may be the type of guy that thrives. As far as a clubhouse cancer, I trust that CC is connected enough to the players to handle it. I don't remember Garza affecting too many last year, but I could be wrong.

When the Brewers signed Lara they barely had a 3+million allotment to do so. 10mil would be really 5mil +5mil taxes.

Latos was a blossoming#2 talent, but some injuries, attitude and maybe team clubhouses he's played for have disturbed him to reach that level. His attitude makes me think he'll hold out for most money. I don't believe he'll sign a Pirates Liriano type deal.

I don't like the guy. Cancer as been mentioned, in the clubhouse, poor attitude on the mound, not what I'd want the next Brewers group to grow around.

1yr deal special is all I'd do. And I'm guessing he's seeking 3-5.

Latos took some shots at his former team. Big deal. He praised some guys and knocked others. Think Garza's been liked in any clubhouse he's been in? I kind of like that he'd have incentive to beat Reds. He might well take a one year deal packed with incentives because he could turn a solid season into a huge deal next year.

I like the idea of bringing Latos in, only if it's a one year deal. I'd guess it's still a long shot but maybe. It really depends on how confident he is in himself. I'm sure there's a team willing to give a 2-3 year deal for 7-8 mil per year. However if he has a solid season with his track record and judging by what guys like Leake are getting he'd be in line for a 100 million payday. The Brewers could overpay him for a year. There's really no risk for them.

In my world Latos would take Garza's spot who I'd just release regardless of his remaining salary.

I wouldn't dump Garza until he has shown for a couple of months that he doesn't have it any more. He is already spent money, so Garza is my "I hope he improves enough that we can actually trade him for something" bounce back project.

And the Brewers really shouldn't be trading off the other starters to make room as they would be selling low on Peralta and the others are young enough and cheap enough they need to stay.

I wouldn't put Jungmann back in AAA, it is time to figure out whether he has it or not.

I guess Davies could start in AAA as young as he is, I just find the issue of sending any type of MLB pitching prospect to Colorado as not being a helpful thing, so I would rather him start with the big league team if he earns it in the spring.

Being a bad team also puts us in a position to also start Cravy, Wagner, even Pena to see if any of them stick. That would also be a very valuable thing to do in a down season, find out who you can build around - who will be here and productive in 2018.

Latos is a bad pitcher and a bad person. I wouldn't want him around any of the younger players. There's a reason why he's been on five teams in six years.

The Brewers are 10-12 deep with starters between Milwaukee and Colorado Springs. There are much cheaper, in-house options that would be much better to run out there. Garza and Latos in the same rotation, attitude-wise, would be like acid rain on a new car.

Latos is a bad pitcher and a bad person. I wouldn't want him around any of the younger players. There's a reason why he's been on five teams in six years.

Exactly why I'd have zero interest. Even in the off chance that he was able to put together a decent half season for the Brewers, his trade value would be minimal. I'd say that there'd be a much higher probability that he'd take the one year deal and put things on cruise control. He looked seriously out of condition last year with the Dodgers.

• 5 months later...

Archived