Brewer Fanatic

Mike Leake to Cardinals (5 years/80 million)

ZBTMP

I was just thinking the same thing. I have no doubt the Cardinals will make that work somehow. He'll keep throwing ground balls, they'll figure out a tweak that ups his K rate a bit and he'll go on to win 15 games a year until he's a FA again.

THEN the Brewers will sign him and watch him slowly decline until the wheels completely fall off .

Not a bad signing money wise but Leake really isn't anything special. He's a #3 on most, #2 on some teams. I don't think he makes them much better at all. He feels like the Brewers signing of Lohse, Suppan, and Wolf that they are really just paying for health/innings and not getting anything great in terms of results.

I was just thinking the same thing. I have no doubt the Cardinals will make that work somehow. He'll keep throwing ground balls, they'll figure out a tweak that ups his K rate a bit and he'll go on to win 15 games a year until he's a FA again.

THEN the Brewers will sign him and watch him slowly decline until the wheels completely fall off .

No worries. Doug Melvin has retired

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That's a lot of purchasing power for Macy's. Maybe he'll use it in St. Louis.

I've been waiting for someone to say the Cardinals got a real steal in Leake. Maybe that's played out by now?

I heard part of the contract was that the cards would make him the beneficiary of the new shirt off their back promotion.

Not a bad signing money wise but Leake really isn't anything special. He's a #3 on most, #2 on some teams. I don't think he makes them much better at all. He feels like the Brewers signing of Lohse, Suppan, and Wolf that they are really just paying for health/innings and not getting anything great in terms of results.

A #2 or #3 for that contract is a great deal. Suppan was just an awful deal and we all knew it the moment it was signed. Lohse would have been fine if he was as young as Leake was when we signed him, age caught up with him which is what everyone worried about. Wolf was more of a hope he is healthy style risk.

Loshe would have been a good signing around 2008 - 2011. The big problem with the Lohse signing was we were a mediocre team more than one pitcher away.

Wolf wasn't a terrible signing. It didn't cost us a pick and made us better in 2011. It was enough to push us into the playoffs.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

"tweak that ups his Krate"

The tweak is Molina getting 1-2inches off the plate called strikes.

Mike Leake is a solid pitcher and is entering his 28 year old season. That is going to cost some money.

But, will it be enough to keep him from getting the "hometown discount" from local STL establishments?

What are all these references about? There have been a few in this thread.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/17944298/

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Well, jeez, with a history like that how can the Cards sign him in good conscience? That was a totally unclassy act. Molinia and Peralta are going to have to give him some lessons in how to be a good, upstanding citizen and role model for the children of Cardinal nation.

Well, jeez, with a history like that how can the Cards sign him in good conscience? That was a totally unclassy act. Molinia and Peralta are going to have to give him some lessons in how to be a good, upstanding citizen and role model for the children of Cardinal nation.

Most notably, Chris Carpenter's

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived