Brewer Fanatic

Star Wars (SPOILERS LIVE HERE)

homer

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't there have to be at least 1 failed effort to steal the plans, as many _______'s (can't remember their species)? I guess the question is if they die in the successful effort or a previous attempt. We should assume there are many attempts.

Never forget the sacrifices the Bothans made.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Doesn't there have to be at least 1 failed effort to steal the plans, as many _______'s (can't remember their species)? I guess the question is if they die in the successful effort or a previous attempt. We should assume there are many attempts

I was going to say something about this. The species was Bothans. But that quote was actually from ROTJ, so that had to have been stealing the plans fir the second Death Star. Still, this trailer does show revel pilots being led away with their hands on their heads so I'm sure there has to be a failed attempt in there somewhere

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As far as movie trailers go, this one was really well done. The music and the cuts did a really fantastic job of setting the tone.

It's my understanding that this is going to be more of a "War/spy" movie than an "adventure" movie, like the other movies have all been. I'm totally on board with that. I'd like to see a depiction of the Empire where the stormtroopers aren't complete bungling fools, incapable of performing even simple tasks.

And Vader nearly 100% HAS to be in this movie, given the mentions in Ep. iV about him searching for the stolen plans, spies, etc. I REALLY hope we get to see Vader tearing stuff up on the battlefield -- prime-aged Vader... oh man, goosebumps again.

Getting a look at Vader in his prime would be sweet, but does anyone know at what point between Episode III and IV this is? There is roughly a 20 year gap there, and based on the evidence from the end of Episode III regarding the Death Star (construction had just begun) and the trailer (made it look like the Death Star was fully operational), my assumption is that it is towards the latter part of that gap. I believe the Death Star wasn't activated until it destroyed Alderaan. If that is the case, my expectations for how impressive Vader would be in battle is pretty low. He wouldn't be that far away from fight Kenobi in Episode IV, where they looked like a couple of geriatrics flailing away with their light sabers. But still.... VADER!

Another part of the trailer you see the Imperial Guards (in red). I hope to see them in action, as well. Their fighting capabilities should rival the Jedi. In that scene, you see a figure in a black cloak, kneeling towards what looks like a hologram communication device that is often used. Could it be a) Vader, kneeling down before the Emperor (which seemed odd to me since we don't see Vader use a hooded cloak like he did as a Jedi); b) perhaps a secret apprentice of Vader (a common theme in video games, although this defies the "Rule of Two" for the Sith); or c) Could that be Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious, kneeling before another figure, perhaps Snoke?

Gruber Lawffices

I thought I heard the Vader heavy breathing at the end of the trailer but maybe that was just me? Listen closely at the 1:27 mark of the video.

Yep, I heard that too (on re-watch like #5), but it's pretty subtle.

You guys just totally rocked my world!! Freaking Vader! REAL VADER! I knew of Rouge One, but I had never considered that Vader could be in it. AWESOME SAUCE!

I KNOW! AND CAPS LOCK IS THE ONLY APPROPRIATE WAY TO EFFECTIVELY CONVEY MY EXCITEMENT!!!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

And Vader nearly 100% HAS to be in this movie, given the mentions in Ep. iV about him searching for the stolen plans, spies, etc. I REALLY hope we get to see Vader tearing stuff up on the battlefield -- prime-aged Vader... oh man, goosebumps again.

Getting a look at Vader in his prime would be sweet, but does anyone know at what point between Episode III and IV this is? There is roughly a 20 year gap there, and based on the evidence from the end of Episode III regarding the Death Star (construction had just begun) and the trailer (made it look like the Death Star was fully operational), my assumption is that it is towards the latter part of that gap. I believe the Death Star wasn't activated until it destroyed Alderaan. If that is the case, my expectations for how impressive Vader would be in battle is pretty low. He wouldn't be that far away from fight Kenobi in Episode IV, where they looked like a couple of geriatrics flailing away with their light sabers. But still.... VADER!

Another part of the trailer you see the Imperial Guards (in red). I hope to see them in action, as well. Their fighting capabilities should rival the Jedi. In that scene, you see a figure in a black cloak, kneeling towards what looks like a hologram communication device that is often used. Could it be a) Vader, kneeling down before the Emperor (which seemed odd to me since we don't see Vader use a hooded cloak like he did as a Jedi); b) perhaps a secret apprentice of Vader (a common theme in video games, although this defies the "Rule of Two" for the Sith); or c) Could that be Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious, kneeling before another figure, perhaps Snoke?

Anakin is about 20 or so in Ep. III, so he wouldn't be any older than 40-45. One awesome thing about the Force is that it can make almost anyone into a powerhouse... think Palpatine-v-Yoda in Ep. III. Plus, post-Mustafar Vader (IV, V, VI) was more about force prowess & power than nimble agility. I think there's some incredible battle potential there. Just obliterating opponents with the Force & sledgehammer-strength lightsaber swings.

Oh, and great point on the Imperial Guard. All we've ever seen them do is stand around or be ordered to leave.

I'm also as curious as anyone about who the cloaked figure is. HAVE I MENTIONED THAT I'M EXCITED?!?!

Apparently JJ Abrams came out and said Rey's parents were NOT in episode VII. That rules out Han Leia and Luke. Obi-Wan is still a possibility. Also possible the parents are just whole new characters.

That assumes Abrams isn't lying. This is a guy that swore that Khan wasn't in Star Trek into Darkness.

It's pointless to hide Rey's parentage if it turns out to be some people we've never heard of before. Pick one of Palpatine, Solo, Skywalker, or Kenobi for her last name.

As excited as I am for Rogue Squadron (man that was a great trailer), a couple of people that I have talked to about it thought it was Episode 8. It took a heavy amount of explaining to my neighbor that this was essentially episode 3.5.

"so.......who is this dark haired woman? Rey's sister? OR cousin? Where is Finn and Poe?"

I think there's a potential for a fair amount of "casual" fans to be somewhat confused going into this (unfortunately) about where it fits into the timeline.

I doubt Obi-Wan is her father. Grandfather maybe.

Considering Obi-Wan died 30 or so years ago and I doubt Rey is over 30... :)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

As excited as I am for Rogue Squadron

Rogue one. I dont belive it has anything to actually do rogue squadron. At least in the "legends" rogue squadron was created after the battle of yavin. Though since thats not cannon, they can try to force something about this either being done by "rogue squadron" or its creation.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

As excited as I am for Rogue Squadron

Rogue one. I dont belive it has anything to actually do rogue squadron. At least in the "legends" rogue squadron was created after the battle of yavin. Though since thats not cannon, they can try to force something about this either being done by "rogue squadron" or its creation.

:p

That's what I meant......

You guys must have better ears than me...I have my bose headphones up to max and still can't hear the heavy breathing haha.

I don't hear it either and I've watched this trailer like 30 times. (and yet I still managed to call it Rogue Squadron....)

Maybe this is a case of people hearing what they want to hear?!?

I'm guessing someone is breathing heavy, but its not on the trailer... If it took TLB 5x through the trailer to hear it, I'm guessing he was pretty worked up by then. :laughing

I'm guessing someone is breathing heavy, but its not on the trailer... If it took TLB 5x through the trailer to hear it, I'm guessing he was pretty worked up by then. :laughing

The lead actress is pretty cute... ;)

I went back and listened and I hear a hissing noise... very very briefly. Many of the doors in the SW universe (as well as a lot of the hydraulic/pneumatic machinery) make hissing/gasping noises like this when they are opening/closing or operating. I think this is just a sound effect and nothing more.

If it was Vader, I think it would be more noticeable and not so quiet and background. If it was Vader, I think they'd want it to be more "out there" and noticeable. As it is, I think this is just a case of something sounding like something else.

I have no doubt that we'll see Vader in this movie, I just don't think this is the tipoff.

:laughing

• 8 months later...
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. Sounds rather ominous. I have to admit when they added the sequels I was hoping a new Jedi Order would have been part of it like in the expanded universe books. Anyway, guesses as to what direction this new title leads us?

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. Sounds rather ominous. I have to admit when they added the sequels I was hoping a new Jedi Order would have been part of it like in the expanded universe books. Anyway, guesses as to what direction this new title leads us?

I don't think the title rules that out. It might just be a tip of the cap to Luke and his final journey.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What I didn't:

- Obvious, Obvious, Obvious. No surprise about Harrison Ford dying. Nothing in the movie was a shock at all... not even a little bit.

- Everything was rushed. Massively rushed. Rey and Finn falling in love instantly. The Death Planet (whatever, I don't care) destruction. Rey seeing Han as a "father figure" after knowing him 20 min. Everyone becomes a hero without any training or hard work. Microwave Jedis.

- Unbelievable:The sanitation storm trooper knows all the inner workings of the ENTIRE station. And the Rebels instantly believe him (no spy thoughts?) Rey is the only one to go see Luke... didn't Leia miss him? Why would Luke trust Rey? Not even Chewy?

- No new score. Just recycled ANH music, which is classic, but why nothing new? No iconic songs at all.

- Major recycled plot from ANH. Orphaned teen on a desert planet escapes to go on to be the big winner? Father figure that leads her/him is killed in front of him/her. This wasn't an omage, it was a badly done plagiarism job.

- Ren's light saber was dumb. On a broadsword, those crossguards are to protect your hands. you don't put little lightsabers out where you are going to be burning your wrists as you swing the saber. That was obviously a Disney ploy to see toys and not a legit movie need.

Overall, this just looked like the writers were in a major hurry to hand-off to the next generation. The story was paperthin, no development, rush from one adrenalin filled event to another with no actual build up between them. If this movie was fully stand alone, it would've been OK. But given the hype and past of SW movies, I thought it was the worst one yet. Disney failed without Lucas.

Just watched about a month ago and this is exactly what I thought, especially the second comment about it being rushed. Tried to put too much in without developing it.

Not as bad as anything with Jar Jar though, but I was rather disappointed.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.