Star Wars (SPOILERS LIVE HERE)

homer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ok, I finally saw it last Friday with my kids and after the accolades on the movie, I as VERY disappointed.

What I liked:

- Excellent cinamatography and chase scenes

- I do like Rey and Finn, but not so much with Po or Ren (I actually don't like him as an actor period).

- Harrison Ford's one liners were the best part of the movie han's down!

What I didn't:

- Obvious, Obvious, Obvious. No surprise about Harrison Ford dying. Nothing in the movie was a shock at all... not even a little bit.

- Everything was rushed. Massively rushed. Rey and Finn falling in love instantly. The Death Planet (whatever, I don't care) destruction. Rey seeing Han as a "father figure" after knowing him 20 min. Everyone becomes a hero without any training or hard work. Microwave Jedis.

- Unbelievable:The sanitation storm trooper knows all the inner workings of the ENTIRE station. And the Rebels instantly believe him (no spy thoughts?) Rey is the only one to go see Luke... didn't Leia miss him? Why would Luke trust Rey? Not even Chewy?

- No new score. Just recycled ANH music, which is classic, but why nothing new? No iconic songs at all.

- Major recycled plot from ANH. Orphaned teen on a desert planet escapes to go on to be the big winner? Father figure that leads her/him is killed in front of him/her. This wasn't an omage, it was a badly done plagiarism job.

- Ren's light saber was dumb. On a broadsword, those crossguards are to protect your hands. you don't put little lightsabers out where you are going to be burning your wrists as you swing the saber. That was obviously a Disney ploy to see toys and not a legit movie need.

Overall, this just looked like the writers were in a major hurry to hand-off to the next generation. The story was paperthin, no development, rush from one adrenalin filled event to another with no actual build up between them. If this movie was fully stand alone, it would've been OK. But given the hype and past of SW movies, I thought it was the worst one yet. Disney failed without Lucas.

Edited by CheezWizHed

Also, as far as Rey, I think its quite obvious that she is Luke's daughter:

- The desert planet origin

- The white clothing style

- The quite obvious Padme' Amidala omage (hair style, shooting style, looks) -> Surpised no one mentioned this yet.

- She is the only one that goes to find Luke.

As far as Snoke goes, we will find out that this is what happens between the Hobbit and LOTR when Gollum owns the ring.

More parallels to the original SWs and TFA:

- Luke is Rey but flys the Millinium Falcon with Chewy. The main force based hero that was orphaned on a desert planet.

- Leia is now an ace X-wing pilot Po. (Spunky, give it all you got, fully dedicated got he Rebellion,)

- Chewy is Chewy - actually did more "acting" this time.

- Han is Finn (self serving, self-protector that comes back to save Luke/Rey), but no MF to fly.

- Obi Wan is Han Solo (father figure that sacrifices himself to the evil villian - someone he knows, raised and feels failure due to that person going to the dark side)

Edited by CheezWizHed

Meet the new Death Star. Same as the old Death Star.

Yea....but....it's BIGGER.

... and the exhaust port (weakness in the station) is bigger than 2 meters, too!

I'm not an engineer, certainly not an inter-galactic engineer. But I would suggest they focus on the deflector shield more than the size when they design Death Star 3.0

Everyone becomes a hero without any training or hard work. Microwave Jedis.

That's today's society in a nutshell. Wouldn't expect anything less because they are really trying to appeal to today's young generation. I can't imagine what a movie like Rocky would look like in today's world. No training montage, Rocky sitting around playing video games enjoying life, probably making millions off endorsements, and he definitely doesn't go to a scorer's decision and lose to Apollo Creed. He'd have to win or it wouldn't be a good movie.

Just amazes me.

Edited by Brew4U
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes, I clicked on the spoilers link too but assumed it was a Star Wars spoiler since this is a Star Wars thread.

Sometimes you just can't do anything right. Today is one of those days I guess. My apologies. Again.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The thought of Rey being Han's or Leia's daughter is forgetting both of their reactions as being non-parents. It's I saw Ben. To nothing being around Rey. Leia has the force and most certainly would feel her own daughter's presence, like Ren feeling Han's presence. So Rey is not theirs 1000%.

There's part of me that wants to believe she'll be Luke's daughter. That Luke saved her from the Ren destruction of his Jedi teachings. But, then I think again of the force and wonder why is Luke doing nothing with her being under so much trouble in the movie. If Leia felt Han's death, and Luke being the best of the best Jedi remaining, he'd certainly feel his offspring in danger....Come to her aid?

So, there you have it. Obi-Wan relation. But it'd be Grand-daughter because of the 30year threshold. But that again bears questioning. Who was Obi Wan's Mate? How many children did they have that never been mentioned? Where's this Mom/Dad and how are they living or not? You're losing a big story.

The lightsaber moment. Yes it's Luke's lightsaber. What about before it became his? I don't remember where it came from you can update me. Was it Obi-Wan's previously?

Stormtroopers....

Weren't they originally clones? So now they are raised from birth? You'd guess that Finn is young 20s. This New Order has thousands of baby incuberators, tiny stormtrooper training facility somewhere? They must steal the babies, so they are going around planets and acquiring all of these babies, how is there not a bigger rebellion against just that? Since stormtroopers are all the same size?, they are only stealing human babies? It makes no sense that this one can break through emotionless state and suddenly be an independent. Unless going back to the Clone recollection, and you hack into one's mind and remove his trained consciousness?

And that's your answer, Luke used the force, his mind, hacked into Finn randomly and gave him the aura to protect Rey without him having to be there in person. Because Rey is Luke's creation.

The lightsaber moment. Yes it's Luke's lightsaber. What about before it became his? I don't remember where it came from you can update me. Was it Obi-Wan's previously?

It was Anakin's that Kenobi picked up at the end of Revenge of the Sith and gave to Luke during the original Star Wars. Luke lost it at Bespin during his fight with Vader. There was a line in Force Awakens about telling the story of how it was acquired back for another day. Maybe a future movie/book/comic.

Stormtroopers and clone troopers are not the same thing. The emperor stopped using clones before A New Hope.

Yeah, they make reference to this a couple of times. Finn says he was "stolen away from my family as a child, like we all were" or something to that effect. Kylo Ren also says to General Hux, after questioning the competency of the Stormtroopers, "Perhaps we should send in a Clone army." which Hux quickly rebukes. That makes me now think that Snoke does indeed have a Clone army somewhere at his disposal.

Gruber Lawffices

There's part of me that wants to believe she'll be Luke's daughter. That Luke saved her from the Ren destruction of his Jedi teachings.

I thought the movie set it up to be quite obvious. Part of me hopes she isn't Luke's daughter, because it would mean that the authors have set this up rather obviously, and have no ability to surprise anyone.

One friend of mine thinks they will be lots of surprises in the next one. I think they will title it, "The First Order strikes Back" and Luke will tell Rey, "Rey...I'm your Father".

Was having a discussion at work about the movie the other day, and someone made an interesting point. This franchise is owned by Disney, and apparently has said at some point that the movies are for children, but that adults will enjoy them. Therefore, the plot points/twists will be somewhat predictable/easy to follow, for their target demographic.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been mulling over something for a while. Before Ep 7, there was discussion of the "proper" order to watch the movies. Whether it's in episode order, movie chronological order, or the trendy Machete order (4 5 1 2 3 6).

Since Ep 7 came out I thought about a cool way to go watch the 3 triolgies. Obviously without knowing what will happen in 8 and 9 its difficult to predict where they should go, but I would like to assume it answers some questions like:

Who are Rey's parents and if Snope is a previous character

I also want to preface this with I'm not an extreme Star Wars fanatic so some of my info may be wrong.

So here is my thinking: 7 4 1 2 3 5 6 with 8 and 9 probably either in the middle or at the end.

What information do we know from 7 itself.

Leia and Han are parents to Ben Solo, Kylo wants to be like his grandpa portrayed simply by a melted heap of a mask and Rey and Luke have some sort of connection

To my knowledge Leia never referred to Luke as her brother in Ep 7 so that secret is safe for Star Wars Newbies aka kids 10 years from now. Now onto a New Hope. We meet young Luke and old Ben Kenobi as they cross paths with Solo and eventually Leia. Darth Vader is a Dark lord who apparently killed Luke's father.

New audiences would know they have a kid together from the first movie and they might glean that Darth Vader is Kylo's grandfather but that's not confirmed (I think)

Now on to the PreTrilogy. We see Anakin grow up with new audiences still not knowing Vader is Anakin and Luke and Leia are brother and sister. With the big reveal to the audiences in Ep 3 when the emperor dubs Anakin as Darth Vader and then when Padme ends up with twins, Luke and Leia. *potential mental explosion*

Now we flash forward to Ep 5 where this info is revealed to the characters. Lastly ending with Ep 6 with a bunch of furry Ewoks dancing.

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...
Trailer for Rogue One is out. I have to admit it looks pretty sweet. I didn't have much excitement for it but now I may be getting my hopes up a bit. I really hope Vader makes an appearance.

Yeah I watched this today too. Goosebumps the whole way through. And Vader nearly 100% HAS to be in this movie, given the mentions in Ep. iV about him searching for the stolen plans, spies, etc. I REALLY hope we get to see Vader tearing stuff up on the battlefield -- prime-aged Vader... oh man, goosebumps again.

And since I didn't comment on Ep. 7, I want to weigh in & say that I absolutely love it. I don't care that the plot had some similarities to IV. It *felt* like Star Wars again, from the very first scenes (so far Rogue One has the same type of look & feel -- I'm loving the universe/settings that Disney is creating so far). I actually just picked up my Blu-Ray copy yesterday & had a blast watching it all over again.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Doesn't there have to be at least 1 failed effort to steal the plans, as many _______'s (can't remember their species)? I guess the question is if they die in the successful effort or a previous attempt. We should assume there are many attempts.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.