Brewer Fanatic

Trade scenarios with the Rangers

I’ve read in several articles that the Rangers primary needs this offseason are catching, SP depth, and a quality right-handed OF bat. The challenge for them is that they are trying to fill these needs with limited payroll flexibility. So, they need to find cheap solutions, which rules out premium free agents and salary dump trades. What strikes me is how closely their needs align with the Brewers current roster depth and trade candidates:

Catcher – Brewers willing to move Lucroy, Rangers interest has been noted

Starting Pitcher – Peralta has been mentioned as a trade candidate and his talent for inducing groundballs would be a good fit in Arlington.

Right-handed outfield bat – Brewers have a crowded outfield right now, with Khris Davis being the most logical trade candidate. Rangers signed Ruggiano, but he could be utilized as their 4th outfielder.

All of the talk thus far with the Rangers has centered around Lucroy, with the Rangers scoffing at the Brewers asking price. Perhaps they would be more willing to meet the Brewers demands with Davis and/or Peralta added to the deal…? I know it may be unrealistic to expect the Brewers to maximize value by combining their main trade chips in one deal, but the Rangers demand really seems to align with the Brewers supply in this case.

My question for the board is what kind of prospect haul from the Rangers would be fair value for the combination of Lucroy/Peralta/Davis? I imagine the difficulty in accurately establishing this collective value is what prevents mega trades like this from happening very often. Either way, I thought it was an interesting hypothetical scenario to consider.

Based on the Brewers trade chips and the Rangers prospect depth and financial constraints, I’d be somewhat surprised if some form of trade isn’t worked out between them during the offseason. Any guesses regarding who the Brewers might be targeting within the Rangers system? I like Juremi Profar, Josh Morgan, and Ariel Jurado as lesser known, perhaps undervalued, prospects that would seem to fit the type of player Stearns has been targeting.

The suggestion of adding Davis or Peralta to get what you want for Lucroy. This is what I feel Stearns has been doing a good job of. I don't want to add a Davis or Peralta to Lucroy to get what you're asking for Lucroy. Now, adding one of the newly acquireds, Broxton, Villar or any of the RP types, These Lesser hyped types that you can sell off. I feel this is where it'll lead to. Maybe a late Spring Training trade with Lucroy and Walsh let's say, after having a solid looking Spring. Then you've gained with these extra bodies w/o it costing you anything.

Take Odor for Walsh/Lucroy. They try to get Profar going meanwhile we get the better 2b plus whoever else the team asks from Texas.

But to trade Davis or Peralta. I'd have to have Tate or Ortiz in the deal. If not both. As like Gallardo that surprised me, I'd have 0 doubt Lucroy gets a QO from Texas. Theyll get a draft pick when he signs elsewhere. So they can afford to part with that talent for talent today if they really believe they'll be WS contenders with this move.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Texas has some good prospects that I would gladly take for Lucroy.

Gallo probably isn't going to happen, but I'd ask.

After that, I'd start with 21-year old Donovan Tate, the 4th pick in the draft last year. He is ranked around 40-50 on several prospect lists - he's a high upside starter. Then you add in Luis Ortiz (1st round, 30th overall in 2014), a 20 year old pitcher who is going to fall in the upper echelons of the Top 100. MLB Pipeline has him at #86 right now. If not Ortiz, then you go after pitcher Michael Matuella, who many had slated as the top pick in the draft last year out of Duke until he had Tommy John surgery in April.

A Tate + Ortiz/Matuella deal for Lucroy would be spot on in my book. High upside pitching. Matuella has some injury risk, so I prefer Ortiz over him, but I'd be happy with either guy.

Some people really like Ryan Cordell, an OF, but I'd go with the upside pitchers over him. Cordell is sometimes listed as an OF/3B, but don't be fooled - he's played 33 games in his life at 3B and had 12 errors. The guy is a corner OF with the ability to play some CF if necessary, but I think it's stretching it to say he's an answer to our dearth of third basemen in the system.

That would be quite a haul, and I'm guessing that's not far from what the Brewers are asking for right now.

However, realistically, if the Rangers are balking at the idea of Lucroy for Gallo straight up, and given the prospects involved in the Frazier trade yesterday, I think we may be overvaluing Lucroy's market value a bit. At the end of the day, I think they get a deal done... it just makes too much sense given what the Rangers can offer and their needs. I'd be thrilled with a return of Tate, Matuella, and a young bat like Morgan or Guzman.

The ability to sweeten the deal by including Peralta or Davis does open the door to a potentially huge package of prospects, though.

I don't have much interest in dealing with the Rangers as I believe that most of their prospects are overrated. The majority of their minor league system plays in extreme hitters parks, so their stats are inflated.... reminds me of the Brewers situation in the mid to late 80's. I wouldn't even consider Lucroy for Gallo.

I said this in another thread:

My guess is, even if Milwaukee and Texas could agree on a deal for Lucroy, both teams will make a deal before that one. I expect Adam Lind and Mitch Moreland to be moved before the larger one, if it were to happen.

If the Brewers were to send Lucroy to Texas, here's my offer ...

Lucroy and Khris Davis for Joey Gallo, Chi Chi Gonzalez, Yohander Mendez, and someone like Patrick Kivlehan or Ti'Quan Forbes.

Texas says they want a righty bat to complement Josh Hamilton in LF, and they want Lucroy ... ok then.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=tex

I really think we need at least an ace and 3B of the future in the Lucroy trade. 1B can always be transitioned from other positions like our glutton of outfielders throughout our system. Corner Infielder prospects are non-existent in our system.

The Rangers still seem like the frontrunner for a Lucroy deal. I know there will be disappointment if the Brewers don't end up with one of the Rangers top position player prospects, but I would have a tough time turning down a trade offer that included multiple top arms under 22 years old in their system such as Luis Ortiz (20), Yohander Mendez (20), Michael Matuella (21), or Dillon Tate (21). I would take any combination of three of those pitchers for Lucroy. I want the organization to collect and hoard as many potential impact pitching propects as possible.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Rangers still seem like the frontrunner for a Lucroy deal. I know there will be disappointment if the Brewers don't end up with one of the Rangers top position player prospects, but I would have a tough time turning down a trade offer that included multiple top arms under 22 years old in their system such as Luis Ortiz (20), Yohander Mendez (20), Michael Matuella (21), or Dillon Tate (21). I would take any combination of three of those pitchers for Lucroy. I want the organization to collect and hoard as many potential impact pitching propects as possible.

I think that would be a fair deal. I don't know how willing the Rangers would be to part with Tate but a package around Ortiz, Matuella, Mendez and another low level nugget like Leody Taveras would still be a nice haul.

@WiscoSportsNut

I do not want Joey Branyan, err, Gallo. I think Nomar Mazara is clearly the best prospect in the Rangers system so he would be my preference of a centerpiece. Also, if there was ever a time to trade for Jurickson Profar, it's now. His value will never be lower -- unless he just can't stay healthy anymore -- but if he plays well in the Spring, his value will skyrocket. I'd love to take a shot at him now and take the chance he fulfills at least some, or most, of his promise. What would it take to get both of these guys? Lucroy + Will Smith with whatever fill-ins/low level prospects would be needed from either side to make it work?

Archived