Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign LHP Nick Hagadone to minor league deal, MLB spring invite: Latest -- Deal Voided on 1/11

And That

He was a former 1st round pick. It seems Stearns is putting priority on guys who were once coveted but are on the cheap these days.

Not a lot to see but he does have 122 Ks in 118 MLB innings.

Also has 60 BB in those same 118 IP. Control seems to be his biggest issue. But he is definitely a power arm and is worth a shot on a minor league deal with a ST invite.

A power arm and another left handed pitcher. Seems to be a trend going on there. And I like it!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He had major elbow surgery in July with a 6 to 9 month recovery time. I doubt he is a flip at the deadline candidate.

Just a formerly coveted lefty power arm to add and see what happens down the road, nothing more.

6-9 months means Jan-April for ready to go, so that should give him most or all of the first half to show his stuff. If he is successful, he'll be a possibility for flipping for prospects.

I'd love to know more of the thinking behind moves like this. In particular, guys like Hagadone and Middlebrooks seem like they need some kind of significant change in approach to have any hope of succeeding. I don't think you sign guys like this as AAA filler, because if they fail then they aren't even good AAA filler. It also seems hard to believe that you'd sign guys like this just hoping that they'll randomly figure it out on their own. I have to think our scouts have looked at these players and said "I think I know what's wrong with his approach, and I think there's a nontrivial chance that our particular group of coaches and instructors can fix it." But we really have no idea.

He's a LOOGY that can maybe be flipped at the deadline. His impact on the 2016 Brewers will most likely be little more than nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's released at some point in 2016. But it's a minor league deal so whatever.

Don't believe he was picked up for that reason. Even to win 65-70 games, you need guys capable of filling roles and they need LH relievers. He wasn't bad in 2014, and if he pitches back to that form, sure there could be some limited interest but not worth signing just for that purpose.

I'd love to know more of the thinking behind moves like this. In particular, guys like Hagadone and Middlebrooks seem like they need some kind of significant change in approach to have any hope of succeeding. I don't think you sign guys like this as AAA filler, because if they fail then they aren't even good AAA filler. It also seems hard to believe that you'd sign guys like this just hoping that they'll randomly figure it out on their own. I have to think our scouts have looked at these players and said "I think I know what's wrong with his approach, and I think there's a nontrivial chance that our particular group of coaches and instructors can fix it." But we really have no idea.

Unless I've missed something, they can't forfeit while they await prospects and they'll need somebody to be out there. They are going to need some sort of a major league roster structure and that includes some lefties in the pen. He was decent in 2014 and worth a look.

Hagadone is filthy by the way...paid more attention to him after I picked him up in a crazy deep 30 man fantasy league and the guy has insane stuff, just one of those guys who has issues taming his movement and stuff...has tendency to have several good outings, then walk two guys and groove a bp fastball for a 3 run homer

Can't hurt to pick up a guy with a live arm to see what he can do. Not every move has to be for a few years down the road. We still have to occasionally take a flier on an older guy trying to make the MLB roster.

He has good stuff and it's a minor league deal. Nothing earth shattering, but certainly nothing to get worried about.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 4 weeks later...

Via Brewers' announcement plus Rotoworld text --

Nick Hagadone's minor league contract with the Brewers has been voided and he is now a free agent.

It's unclear what prompted the move, but it could be a physical issue since Hagadone is rehabbing from surgery to repair a fractured left elbow. The owner of a career 4.72 ERA over 143 relief appearances, Hagadone is now free to sign elsewhere.

Archived