Brewer Fanatic

Trade with Angels?

mlloyd10

I don't like it. Maybe if Lucroy was in the final year of his contract and it was the trade deadline. Cron is just a guy and Heaney is overrated imo. I think the years of control, contract and potential to be a top 2-3 catcher for the next couple seasons warrant a bigger return.

Pujos started 95 games a t 1B. Pujos and Braun can both still manage the field. If Cron plays first, Albert is the DH and their is no deal. If Albert still can play first half the time Cron is kind of blocked other than DH and Braun can be the DH and they have a strong chance for about two years.

It depends if they don't mind getting older. Any way it is only a thought.

If Braun only brings back Cron, then what the heck are we doing? Might as well just play Braun at 1B if that's the case.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Cron started 54 games at 1B last year with 50 at DH, .986 fielding %

The actual defensive metrics don't have him at very good results (but not terrible in limited games).

I'm not really sure how I feel about a salary dump of Braun, essentially. At that point, I'd consider just letting him play as an old guy on our rebuilt team on a 2 year, $36 million deal or whatever it is at the end.

Cron started 54 games at 1B last year with 50 at DH, .986 fielding %

I'm not really sure how I feel about a salary dump of Braun, essentially. At that point, I'd consider just letting him play as an old guy on our rebuilt team on a 2 year, $36 million deal or whatever it is at the end.

I agree. Braun, if healthy (yes, at this point that's a big if) is still an above average bat. I'd hold out hope that he stays healthy for half a season and you can get a desperate team at the deadline.

With the extra "playoff" team there are very few teams that are truly out of it anymore and obvious sellers. The Brewers could again take advantage of that and find a nicer return for Braun. At this point, from a fan perspective, his salary isn't a hindrance to rebuilding or fielding a better team so just to rid the team of a contract doesn't much matter.

Lucroy for C.J. Cron and Heaney

Cron is a nice young 1b and Heaney is looking like a #2/3 SP who was a top 50 prospect 2 yrs ago

I would think this is about as much value as we would get for Lucroy actually.

I think Heaney is a safe bet to be a #2/3 SP. I'd almost feel better for trading for a pitcher like Heaney who probably has about a 70% chance of being a #2-3 MLB starter, than trading for a lower level pitching prospect with a #1/2 ceiling but only about a 30% chance of reaching it.

Cron is also MLB ready, which increases his value. I'd be more okay with a hitter with a slightly higher ceiling but further from the majors, in place of Cron.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not a fan of Cron. Horrible walk rate both in the minors and majors. Plus he's pretty bad looking defensively. Still, he's got power - can't ignore that.

Heaney is a decent looking pitcher - good, but not great. The problem is that the Angels need starting pitching in a big way. Dealing Heaney only opens up another big hole for them. Thus, it's probably a bad fit (no matter what you think about the trade's merits).

I'm not a fan of Cron. Horrible walk rate both in the minors and majors. Plus he's pretty bad looking defensively. Still, he's got power - can't ignore that.

Heaney is a decent looking pitcher - good, but not great. The problem is that the Angels need starting pitching in a big way. Dealing Heaney only opens up another big hole for them. Thus, it's probably a bad fit (no matter what you think about the trade's merits).

Santiago is currently their #6 pitcher

Since most think Cron is too little for Braun what about one of these....

Braun for Cron, Caleb Cowert (3B) and a young pitcher.

or

Braun for Cron, Kyle Kubitza (3B) and Hunter Green (LHP 20 years, round 2nd round pick).

Cowert and Kubitza both seem to have MLB 3B written on them. Cowert is younger and seems to have more upside.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Since most think Cron is too little for Braun what about one of these....

Braun for Cron, Caleb Cowert (3B) and a young pitcher.

or

Braun for Cron, Kyle Kubitza (3B) and Hunter Green (LHP 20 years, round 2nd round pick).

Cowert and Kubitza both seem to have MLB 3B written on them. Cowert is younger and seems to have more upside.

Problem is you're giving up our best trade chip for guys without a lot of upside. Kubitza, Cowert - both interesting players, but both project more as backup or fringe starters. Cron is interesting as well, but I don't see him becoming anything special due to his lack of athleticism, poor defense, and inability to get on base. If I'm dealing Lucroy, it's for a guy(s) with the potential to be really good - even great. We've improved our system depth a great deal - from the top down to the lower rungs - but dealing Lucroy is probably our only chance (at this time) to add a Top 30 type player. This team needs to develop a new Braun and Fielder. We have the #5 pick next year, and probably another high pick in 2017. Those are great opportunities, but right now, the only chance we have to add a top ranked guy is by using Lucroy as trade bait.

Archived