Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade Jason Rogers to Pirates for more than you'd expect: CF Keon Broxton & RHP Trey Supak; scouting notes in thread [Latest: Rogers called up, post 243]

markedman5
He is only Maverick to me. Way to good of a name (not even nickname) to ignore it. :)

Agreed

In regards to Santana. I'm just speculating. Read lots of Houston articles prior to the trade that suggested that players like Chris Carter and other players like him were wearing out their welcome in Houston because of the low BA/high strikeouts approach. And Domingo Santana was one of those mentioned. My speculation is that he was a throw-in.

Again, hope I'm wrong, reading too much into it. I probably am

At any rate, Phillips was clearly the center-piece of the trade.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is only Maverick to me. Way to good of a name (not even nickname) to ignore it. :)

Agreed

In regards to Santana. I'm just speculating. Read lots of Houston articles prior to the trade that suggested that players like Chris Carter and other players like him were wearing out their welcome in Houston because of the low BA/high strikeouts approach. And Domingo Santana was one of those mentioned. My speculation is that he was a throw-in.

Comparing apples to oranges with these two players you mention.

-Chris Carter is 29 years old that over the course of his MLB career (2000 PA's), he has not learned how to not strikeout nor hit for a higher average.

-Domingo Santana is 23 with not even a full season in the majors (less than 200 PA's), and showed signs of a very good player in the MLB. Yes his average was on the low end but his OBP was not. It would be very silly to give up on such a player or to trade him for a bag of peanuts.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

More weakening of the major league roster. Sure Rogers will be 28 but he's a minimum wage player for a couple more years. Broxton isn't that young either and the teenager pitcher has a 5.85 ERA in pro ball. Some return. Didn't read Attanasio's letter. Did he mention lowering ticket prices?

Isn't it great?

Good summary on Keon Broxton. http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/9/24/9384295/who-is-pittsburgh-pirates-prospect-keon-broxton

[The Pittsburgh Pirates promoted outfield prospect Keon Broxton to the major league roster a few days ago. Broxton hasn't received much attention outside of Pirates circles this year but he's actually an intriguing talent worthy of notice. Let's do our due diligence and take a look at who Broxton is and what he can do for a team.

Broxton was originally drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2009, a third round pick from Santa Fe Community College in Florida. He was considered to be raw but had the strength and athleticism to provide both power and speed on offense and good defense in the outfield, provided he could close up some holes in his swing and add general polish with the glove. Early results were mixed: he hit just .228/.316/.360 in the Midwest League in 2010, fanning 172 times. He did draw 65 walks and steal 21 bases, but the general sense of rawness remained.

After another mediocre campaign in 2011 Broxton made progress tapping his power in the California League in 2012, hitting .267/.326/.437 with 19 homers and 21 steals, though he still had some contact/plate discipline issues (40 walks, 135 strikeouts.) Moved up to Double-A in 2013, he had a poor season (.231/.296/.359) and his stock was down to the point that the Diamondbacks simply sold his contract to the Pirates at the end of the year.

The change in organizations revitalized him: he hit .275/.369/.484 in Double-A in 2014, with 15 homers, 25 steals, better strike zone judgment, and sharper defense. Broxton continued progressing in 2015, hitting .273/.357/.438 with 27 doubles, 12 triples, 10 homers, 39 steals, 66 walks, 156 strikeouts in 456 at-bats in Double-A and Triple-A.

Broxton is a right-handed hitter and thrower, 6-3, 195, born May 7, 1990. On any given day he's one of the best athletes on the baseball diamond but his baseball skills took time to refine. He is still vulnerable to strikeouts and isn't the type of hitter to bat .300 over a broad sample, but his power and speed combination has value and he can provide quality glovework at all three outfield positions.

Lo Cain comes to mind a little bit here

My first thought was Mike Cameron. Likely on a lesser scale power-wise, but the profile is similar.

Don't take this as my being against the trade but it's kind of odd that the Brewers are scouring the earth for a cheap, stopgap 1B after trading one to a team that has legitimate sights on competing for a World Series title this year and feels he can help get them there. I think people are going to be surprised by the numbers Rogers puts up this year.

What would you rather have?

Cheap 1B stopgap in Jason Rogers?

Prospects plus cheap 1B stopgap?

Clearly people are having reading comprehension issues with the first 9 words of my comment.

I just explained why he would want a different 1B outside of Rogers.

Agreed

Domingo Santana was the center piece of that trade before Mike Fiers was added.

I don't know if the 2016 Brewers are going to be any good at all, but with all the athleticism being added they might at least be fun to watch, and that counts for something (to me, as a fan)

I at least feel like the franchise has a direction now

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

These are the Brewers OF'ers that will almost certainly be AAA or higher.

Davis

Santana

Braun

Peterson

Broxton

Flores

Presley

Reed

Phillips

Wren

Barring injury, trade, etc. Davis and Braun are the only ones guaranteed to be in Milwaukee. Wren, Phillips, and Reed should be the OF in Colorado Springs. That leaves 5 guys for 3 or so spots. Peterson is certainly a DFA candidate but just logistically speaking some of these guys need to be moved.

Why would you be affraid of Alvarez? They won't sign him to a big money deal. If he stinks who cares, just means we get a better draft pick. If he puts it all together he'd be a huge trade chip later in the year. Maybe getting cut is the motivation he needs to have a great year.

Alvarez simply scares me as a defensive player. He just looks so awful. Nothing is more frustrating than guys who can't play defense with some modicum of competency. I say 'sort of scares' because I realize he could really hit well in Milwaukee. Guys like Alvarez scare me because we get sucked in by the sexy HR talent - and ignore the entire package, which in the end, is often a negative.

Ultimately, a guy like Alvarez is probably worth the try. As noted, if he has a good season he can fetch a nice return.

I agree on Alvarez in general, but it'll be fun watching some moonshots while we suck.

What would a fair return for Kris Davis be?

Interesting. I would peg Davis as currently our 3rd best MLB player, behind Braun and Lucroy. He is a power hitter with a lot of control left and that seems like a pretty big deal these days. The return should be pretty good but whether that means one top 50 guy ++ or a bunch teenagers none of us have heard of, I have no idea.

I would say he is the next to go, moving Braun to LF and Santana to RF, but that is just a guess.

J.P. Breen of BPMilwaukee is getting a lot of praise for his post-trade write-up, and rightly so.

Great read. Thanks (as usual!) for linking

I was just about to post that; very glad you beat me to it. With all respect to the many fine regular commentators here, and to the excellent Adam McCalvy, Breen is writing the smartest, most interesting Brewers commentary I can remember reading. The BP Milwaukee site in general is a great addition to Brewers journalism, and some other guys there have written some good things, but Breen stands out even among that group.

J.P. Breen of BPMilwaukee is getting a lot of praise for his post-trade write-up, and rightly so.

Great read. Thanks (as usual!) for linking

I was just about to post that; very glad you beat me to it. With all respect to the many fine regular commentators here, and to the excellent Adam McCalvy, Breen is writing the smartest, most interesting Brewers commentary I can remember reading. The BP Milwaukee site in general is a great addition to Brewers journalism, and some other guys there have written some good things, but Breen stands out even among that group.

Offense taken. :tongue

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Davis

Santana

Braun

Peterson

Broxton

Flores

Presley

Reed

Phillips

Wren

Barring injury, trade, etc. Davis and Braun are the only ones guaranteed to be in Milwaukee. Wren, Phillips, and Reed should be the OF in Colorado Springs. That leaves 5 guys for 3 or so spots. Peterson is certainly a DFA candidate but just logistically speaking some of these guys need to be moved.

Of the list, you are correct that Peterson is completely expendable while Flores and Presley project to be 4th OF at best. Of the remaining players Davis should be the one traded to make room for Santana. If Phillips, Reed and Wren are starting in AAA, that leaves Braun, Broxton, Santana, Flores and Presley on the active roster. Simply put, trade Davis and cut Peterson and we are set.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Davis

Santana

Braun

Peterson

Broxton

Flores

Presley

Reed

Phillips

Wren

Flores may not be ready to start the season after breaking his ankle last September. I don't know if there have been any reports on his recovery.

I am actually surprised Davis hasn't already been traded. Pretty clear Stearns doesn't like non versatile players. I'd expect him to be traded, but looks like Stearns is holding out for good value and won't sell low.

Market might not be right for the trade maybe? Or he isn't worth what some of us feel he is? Could be a lot of factors.

I am actually surprised Davis hasn't already been traded. Pretty clear Stearns doesn't like non versatile players. I'd expect him to be traded, but looks like Stearns is holding out for good value and won't sell low.

Market might not be right for the trade maybe? Or he isn't worth what some of us feel he is? Could be a lot of factors.

Well what we feel he is worth means nothing for the speed of a trade.

I just don't feel Stearns will trade him for less because the market is low. Hopefully if that happens he just holds onto him.

I'm still assuming that Braun or Davis may get moved, but it's not that bad of a logjam.

Davis/Braun/Santana/Broxton and Flores in the majors. Flores can be temporarily replaced by Peterson or Presley. Once back, they can be DFA'ed. I still think there is a trade happening here because if Broxton is the CF, you have 3 guys for 2 starting spots.

Phillips/Reed/Wren in AAA.

It's possible that Phillips could hang in AA for just a little while to start the year. I'd imagine that they plan to have him at AAA, but that would possibly open up some room for Presley in AAA. Actually Presley will probably be a backup no matter what level he is at unless he really impresses.

We could also be waiting for Upton, Cespedes and Gordon to sign and hope one of the losing teams gets desperate and overpay for Davis.

I know that some don't like the idea of wasting Santana's arm at 1B, but is it possible that Santana will now play against all lefties at 1B and then get spot duty for Braun/Davis at the corner OF spots against RHP? (EDIT: actually, he can play all 3 spots)

vs RHP

C - TBA, Luc for now

1B - Alvarez (lefty signing) or Cecchini

2B - Scooter

SS - Segura (?)

3B - Cecchini/Villar

OF - Braun/Broxton/Davis most days - Santana can sub for any of them sporadically.

vs. LHP

C - Luc for now

1B - Santana

2B - Walsh

SS - Segura (?)

3B - Villar/Middlebrooks

OF - Braun/Broxton/Davis

Archived