Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade Jason Rogers to Pirates for more than you'd expect: CF Keon Broxton & RHP Trey Supak; scouting notes in thread [Latest: Rogers called up, post 243]

markedman5

Wow am I late to this party.

There goes your Rogers dilemma. Brewers may actually have a CF now for the season in Broxton. If he's a 19/28 or 11/39 type of player HRs/SBs seems very Brett Phillips like with maybe a 10%-15% lower triple slash line. I'll take that. In the least you put a true SB threat on the roster.

Seems to me Stearns is acquiring a bunch of AAAA guys with upside. Lots of bodies. Get a few to live up to their upside and these are all trade pieces or long term solutions to have on your 25man.

It's depth, and we are gaining a lot in this depth department. We'll be able to interchange talent for talent we need without skipping a beat on who we trade away.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely love the trade. Rogers is solid bat but I didn't see him as a big part of the future. Many uber-athletes like Bruxton just take awhile to really begin to click. LoCain, Gomez, Mike Cameron were all around 26 when they finally started to click . He has shown a lot of life lately with his offense and his defense is outstanding. He is are first real option to play CF for this team. At worst, you get a kid who can be an elite defender, just hope his bat will pull enough weight that he can stay in line up. He K's a lot so that will hurt him but he walks 60 times a season at least. It seems as if Arizona pushed him to quick and didn't really develop him much. That and it would appear the hitting coaches with Pit were able to fix more with him.

Supak could be a steal. Very raw right now but a lot of talent and upside. Pirates have a fairly good system still and he is already #15 with zero results so far. He cut his walks this season which is good and is just a shade under a strikeout per inning. Overall you get another high upside teenage arm

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

This is the kind of trade we should be making. An older semi prospect for two athletic guys who move the needle on our farm system.

As for 1b at the MLB level, its pretty obvious the MLB roster is at best a non event for Stearns; at worst cleverly designed to land the first pick (and associated draft pool $$) in the 2017 and 2018 drafts so we will have a monster farm system for the future.

As much as I hated the Lind trade, this one represent more value to the Brewers in terms of asset acquisition and we gave up a player that really didn't matter, as much as we liked him on this board.

I'm fine with the trade, like the return. Have to think a Davis trade is going to happen and if not Braun will start the move to 1B. But I fully expect Davis traded now, well Lucroy too. Kind of kicking myself or re-upping my tickets for next year, but as David Puddy would say, you gotta support the team.

I'm fine with the trade, like the return. Have to think a Davis trade is going to happen and if not Braun will start the move to 1B. But I fully expect Davis traded now, well Lucroy too. Kind of kicking myself or re-upping my tickets for next year, but as David Puddy would say, you gotta support the team.

On twitter, Tom said CC said there are no plans to move Braun to 1B at all. Im curious what Stearns thinks of Maverick and Santana since this trade sort of "blocks" the former, and there doesn't seem to be a clear path for the latter.

Yeah, the MLB roster is going to be brutal. Cubs and Astros pre 2015 brutal.

More weakening of the major league roster. Sure Rogers will be 28 but he's a minimum wage player for a couple more years. Broxton isn't that young either and the teenager pitcher has a 5.85 ERA in pro ball. Some return. Didn't read Attanasio's letter. Did he mention lowering ticket prices?

Your lack of knowledge -- but more notably your disinterest in acquiring any knowledge -- on the players added in the trades this offseason is a bit much. Your opinion on any of them is basically empty.

You were around & very actively posting all during the developmental build up to contention & then MLB contention in the late 2000s-early 2010. But it's like you can't even remember that that's how the Brewers built their best squad since the glory days of the 80s.

I'm sure this post will do absolutely nothing to influence your opinion, & strangely will actually probably embolden it even more. But it's really, really tiring to read post after post from you knocking trades when you do zero homework & frankly seem to take a smug pride in not being able to be bothered because you've seen it all before & don't need to learn anything. I get that it genuinely matters a lot to you if the 2016 team wins 78 games compared to 59, & I don't find your frustration there irritating at all -- to each his own. But enough of the self-righteous rants about young players that you've never seen or even bothered to try to learn a little about.

Just Briggs being Briggs. I don't bother reading his posts and haven't for a while. Makes the forum better.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I've mentioned it in other posts on this board recently - Stearns saw firsthand and played a significant role in how Houston got themselves off the mat. That included getting demonstrably worse at the MLB level in order to stockpile young talent in the draft and trades. Not surprised in the least that the moves he's making are mirroring what the Astros did. I think Stearns is looking at the NL Central from a bottom up perspective in 2016, meaning that he views next season as a race to the bottom against the Reds.

At some point this offseason, the Brewers and Dodgers are going to get together on a trade. Either Braun or Lucroy + others are going to LA with a combination of MLB roster filler and quality prospects from the Dodger system in return. Mark it down.

I've mentioned it in other posts on this board recently - Stearns saw firsthand and played a significant role in how Houston got themselves off the mat. That included getting demonstrably worse at the MLB level in order to stockpile young talent in the draft and trades. Not surprised in the least that the moves he's making are mirroring what the Astros did. I think Stearns is looking at the NL Central from a bottom up perspective in 2016, meaning that he views next season as a race to the bottom against the Reds.

At some point this offseason, the Brewers and Dodgers are going to get together on a trade. Either Braun or Lucroy + others are going to LA with a combination of MLB roster filler and quality prospects from the Dodger system in return. Mark it down.

I agree. I think the strategy is to take this team to 55 win levels then build back up though the draft and international signings.

I agree Braun and Luc will be traded shortly. I am not sure LA is a great fit for Luc and they dont need Braun though as a LA boy he would be a nice get and his contract is now market value.

I actually don't know if it will be as brutal as people are playing it out to be. We haven't even seen the finished product yet. We could have a brand new team that who knows what they can do. I'm not going to be pessimistic in December. Or January/February/March for that matter. People always fear change but maybe in this instance, it'll work. What we've had on the team the last few years (including Lucroy) hasn't worked.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Long time reader, first time poster

Over the last 12 hours or so since the trade I've been thinking. This certainly creates a logjam at outfield for the upper level clubs so you think another trade would be at the horizon at some point (hypothetically, hopefully, maybe). If Santana were to be moved, do you think the return that we got in the Rogers trade would be about the equivalent to one we'd get for Santana on? More simply put, it seems everyone really likes the return for Rogers. If Santana was the one traded for the same package would the conclusion be the same?

Over the last 12 hours or so since the trade I've been thinking. This certainly creates a logjam at outfield for the upper level clubs so you think another trade would be at the horizon at some point (hypothetically, hopefully, maybe). If Santana were to be moved, do you think the return that we got in the Rogers trade would be about the equivalent to one we'd get for Santana on? More simply put, it seems everyone really likes the return for Rogers. If Santana was the one traded for the same package would the conclusion be the same?

No people would be upset if this was the return for Santana since he is younger and has a higher upside than Rogers. I would expect a top 70-80 prospect as a starting point for any package for Santana.

After getting this return for a 28 year old that really doesn't play any position well, I would sure hope to expect that if we were to trade Santana who is 23 and has shown some real pop in the majors and plays quality defense that we would receive more in return.

I'm not sure trading him right now is a great move. Traded twice by the same guy in less than a year screams red flags to other teams. If he's not in our OF in the majors than put him in AAA and let his numbers inflate in Colorado.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yea Santana isn't the one to go. It's going to be Davis unless someone gives them a monster deal for Braun which isn't happening. And I don't necessarily mean monster just in prospects, but also be willing to take on all the money, or if they won't take all the money then the prospect return will need to be very strong. With no other salaries on the roster there's really no harm in keeping Braun around unless you get a solid return, which I doubt they will. So Davis will be the one going out.

Am I missing something here. Its Brett Phillips not Maverick Phillips right?

My preference would be to call him Bret Maverick, skipping the second t on the first name and omitting Phillips entirely. :)

At any rate, his full name is Brett Maverick Phillips. It appears that he was named after the Bret Maverick TV character played by James Garner.

or Tom Cruise's character in Top Gun which would have been released much closer to his birth?

I'll never understand why some people say Stearns is possibly down on Santana because he traded him from Houston so read between the lines. He also traded Phillips (final piece of the trade), Hader (has done very well at every level through AA and killed AFL) and Houser (stock took a boost after final 7 starts of season and AFL). Houston had a ton of prospects and too many OFs for the number of spots. Therefore, you must give up something in order to get something (ie gold glove CF and all-star in Gomez and solid back end SP).

I think too many people on this board over-analyze every decision (ie Stearns is down on Santana because he's acquiring OFs and traded him; Stearns is down on Phillips because he just acquired Broxton). It could be as simple as Stearns trading Davis, moving Braun back to LF with Santana in RF with Phillips starting in CF in AAA therefore one would assume Broxton is the leading candidate for CF for Brewers with Flores mixing in as well. This doesn't mean Stearns isn't high on Phillips nor that he's being blocked. Broxton fills a need right now. If Phillips performs how he has the past couple seasons he's easily the CF of the future. However, Broxton can then transition into a solid backup OF and play a dynamic role given his speed, great defense while offering some pop as well. If he has a good year he's trade bait too as people will take a CF with that skill set and we'd get a solid return. Flores isn't a long-term backup solution but fills a need next year. After that, guys like Reed are going to be in the mix followed by Taylor, etc if they continue to grow. Brewers have a lot of talent in AAA so a lot more trades of the 2016 roster and AAA guys will be coming up in the next year too. But Santana NEEDS to be given every opportunity as a starting RF this year. His skill set at his age you don't just pass over especially in a down season like next.

This was a very good trade

Let's this be the last thought on this topic so as not to hijack the thread -- from Brett himself:

"Maverick is actually my middle name. A little story for you. My dad's middle name is James. Brett James Phillips. When he was younger his dad and his friends would always call my dad Maverick. So when he got older he wanted to name his first son Maverick, or at least his middle name. So it is not from Top Gun, it is actually from the old James Garner cowboy movie Maverick."

Brett has indicated in other interviews he would actually like to be called Maverick, but it hasn't seemed to take momentum on the web.

Am I missing something here. Its Brett Phillips not Maverick Phillips right?

My preference would be to call him Bret Maverick, skipping the second t on the first name and omitting Phillips entirely. :)

At any rate, his full name is Brett Maverick Phillips. It appears that he was named after the Bret Maverick TV character played by James Garner.

or Tom Cruise's character in Top Gun which would have been released much closer to his birth?

Mel Gibson played Bret Maverick in the 1994 film based on the TV series. The film was released 10 days before "our" Brett Maverick's birth.

EDIT: Thanks to Mass Haas for the clarification. The release of the film must have been a coincidence. Brett's comment explains the extra t on his first name.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

From September: Who is Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Keon Broxton?

Via MiLB.TV: Video highlights galore (and a couple of lowlights) of Keon Broxton

J.P. Breen of BPMilwaukee is getting a lot of praise for his post-trade write-up, and rightly so.

Fangraphs posted this video of Trey Supak last March --

Archived