Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade Jason Rogers to Pirates for more than you'd expect: CF Keon Broxton & RHP Trey Supak; scouting notes in thread [Latest: Rogers called up, post 243]

markedman5

Broxton is not much. .273/.357/.438 at age 25. Logan Schafer did .278/.332/.438 at age 26. They could have just kept Schafer for nothing. This all rides on Supak and as John Briggs points out, he hasn't done much yet. Hopefully, they can make something out of him but at some point, all these guys do is take away innings from better prospects.

At best, Broxton will play one year until Phillips is ready. Supak is years away. In the meantime, the Pirates are contending for another playoff run. I understand the need to rebuild but I'm afraid Stearns will be creating black holes at 1B and C that could go years as problem areas. Rogers could have been a partial answer for a few years.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fine with the trade. They get another lottery ticket that hopefully eventually hits. At first glance it seems they are trying to fill a need in CF at the big league level which I really wouldn't agree with. However both Broxton and Rogers are older and if Broxton pans out they might be able to get even more from Broxton than they received from Rogers in trade.

Don't take this as my being against the trade but it's kind of odd that the Brewers are scouring the earth for a cheap, stopgap 1B after trading one to a team that has legitimate sights on competing for a World Series title this year and feels he can help get them there. I think people are going to be surprised by the numbers Rogers puts up this year.

Don't take this as my being against the trade but it's kind of odd that the Brewers are scouring the earth for a cheap, stopgap 1B after trading one to a team that has legitimate sights on competing for a World Series title this year and feels he can help get them there. I think people are going to be surprised by the numbers Rogers puts up this year.

Or chuckle when one of the players we received is a stud and Rogers is back in AAA.

Or never remember this because none of the players are worth a darn.

See what I did there? No one knows what this trade will bring. But what we can say is Stearns wants athletes and he obtained another one. Not only that but he got a higher upside pitcher for our organization to work with. People wanted a rebuild and this is what it looks like. Everyone is on the table. Even guys we really didn't expect to trade.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why would you be affraid of Alvarez? They won't sign him to a big money deal. If he stinks who cares, just means we get a better draft pick. If he puts it all together he'd be a huge trade chip later in the year. Maybe getting cut is the motivation he needs to have a great year.

Boras is his agent. It will take some money to sign Alvarez and probably a few years. Not that I'd be opposed necessarily as there are no 1B in the Brewer pipeline. Morneau is still out there as well as short term flip option.

Maverick Phillips is a future All-Star (hopefully)

Just an opinion, but I believe that Santana is not part of the longterm plans for the Brewers. Stearns was part of the brainthrust in Houston that traded away Santana. There is too much swing & miss in Santana's game, and not enough putting the ball in play. He did have a very good year in AAA this year, and he certainly has potential. I could be wrong, and I'm not saying that I personally think that Santana isn't going to be a very good player, I just suspect that Stearns doesn't value him highly and either did the Houston front office.

I agree with that assessment. But we won't hear them say that. The Rogers deal might just be a precursor to another deal involving an outfielder packaged with Segura.

What would you rather have?

Cheap 1B stopgap in Jason Rogers?

Prospects plus cheap 1B stopgap?

So the Brewers trade Rogers because he is old and is a bad defensive 1B. Then pursue another older, bad defensive 1B in Alvarez. I've read through the posts, and consensus I see is Rogers is way under-valued.

There is tendency sometimes to point out stats for a player that is liked, but completely ignore them if we don't. I sense that's what's going on with Rogers. .808 OPS with the Brewers last year, which wasn't easy they way they used him. 1.056 in AAA. Oh, that's in Colorado. But the year before he hit .947. This is not some bench player as some have called him. Yet, at the same time, many are raving about the light- hitting Broxton. Even a reference to Lo Cain!

All this to say, no I don't hate the trade. Not even saying they shouldn't have done it. But let's not act like they pulled one over on Pitt or something. Rogers could have been an average MLB 1B for a few years, possibly be there when thy start winning again- at least early on. My fear is he goes the Nelson Cruz- light route and we get a .238 hitting CF and a pitcher that never develops. That's always the risk you take in trades like this, I get that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

http://milwaukee.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2015/12/18/brewers-get-creative-trade-rogers-to-pittsburgh/

JP Breen with his take.

The market inefficiency Stearns is employing is rookie level prospects that haven't busted out yet. Houston found a ton of nuggets this same way. It puts a lot of pressure on your low level scouts but can pay big dividends for teams that can't compete financially with the likes of Chicago, LA, Boston, etc.

As for the Rogers trade, look at it this way: Supak was the Pirates #15 prospect. He barely cracks the Brewers top 30.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Maverick Phillips is a future All-Star (hopefully)

Just an opinion, but I believe that Santana is not part of the longterm plans for the Brewers. Stearns was part of the brainthrust in Houston that traded away Santana. There is too much swing & miss in Santana's game, and not enough putting the ball in play. He did have a very good year in AAA this year, and he certainly has potential. I could be wrong, and I'm not saying that I personally think that Santana isn't going to be a very good player, I just suspect that Stearns doesn't value him highly and either did the Houston front office.

So Santana is not in the long term plans because Stearns traded him away but Maverick is a future all-star that he was happy to trade away? Not sure you can have it both ways. Not saying you will be wrong, just doesn't compute.

Also a "brainthrust" sounds like it might hurt! :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

At this point, I expect Davis and Lucroy to be gone soon. There's little doubt though that 2016 is going to be an ugly year in Miller Park.

This deal also might be a sign that they'll play Lucroy more at 1B next year.

Which will lose him a ton of value going forward. As a catcher, his value is super high. As a 1B, he is probably average to maybe above average. Seems like a bad move when trying to obtain the best pieces you can for a player.

As for the Rogers trade, look at it this way: Supak was the Pirates #15 prospect. He barely cracks the Brewers top 30.

Do we really have that better of a farm than the Pirates do? I would have thought they were pretty even or maybe even a slight edge to Pittsburgh.

I always hoped that DVo would be the next Lo Cain. Seems like Bruxton has already outperformed DVo, doing well at AAA. You have to love center fielders that can run like deer and still have the ability to hit home runs. I don't like that scouts say he has a problem with curveballs. If he can learn how to take on those curveballs, like Carlos Gomez did, maybe we have something.

At this point, I expect Davis and Lucroy to be gone soon. There's little doubt though that 2016 is going to be an ugly year in Miller Park.

This deal also might be a sign that they'll play Lucroy more at 1B next year.

He loses every once of trade value. What makes him so valuable is offense at the catcher position..... Go from getting two top prospect to getting an okay deal. That would simply be an awful decision I hope they are not dumb enough to do

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Do we really have that better of a farm than the Pirates do? I would have thought they were pretty even or maybe even a slight edge to Pittsburgh.

I'm going strictly off the MLB top 30 list.

Pirates appear to have more top end talent (top 30 in all of baseball) but Brewers have way more depth overall.

Brewers could have top 5 system in baseball when it's all said and done this off-season.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Am I missing something here. Its Brett Phillips not Maverick Phillips right?

Regardless if one is to assume that Brett will be ready to be the opening day starting CF in 2017; ultimately we traded for Broxton to be a 4th OF type for the long run. But of course its another layer of insurance if Phillips doesn't pan out.

So Santana is not in the long term plans because Stearns traded him away but Maverick is a future all-star that he was happy to trade away? Not sure you can have it both ways. Not saying you will be wrong, just doesn't compute.

I was actually wondering about both of them.

Its pretty obvious that Stearns doesn't want Santana in CF. But they haven't made the obvious move of putting Braun at 1B either (or at least announced it). Everything Stearns has done (publically) makes me think that Santana will be back at AAA this year. Personally, Braun to 1B just makes too much sense right now. Forget about Alvarez... We have the pieces to do it now.

Its no surprise to me that Maverick will start at AAA next year. I'm all for that. But this is a little "more" than the stopgap CF I was expecting. Broxton is less of a prospect than Maverick hands-down. But there is plenty of overlap between the two. Plus, its not like Broxton is any more of a sure thing this year in CF than Maverick. He has a bit more experience at AAA and probably better defense. But in terms of development, they are pretty close.

And given that Stearns had the inside scoop on both, it does make you wonder. If he trades either one of them at some point in the near future (next year). That has to be a huge red flag on either one.

As for the trade, I too am shocked at how much Rogers brought back. I wanted Rogers to get a shot at 1B this year to see what he could really produce, but I'll take this trade no problem.

Now to move Braun to 1B...

Edit: I'd blame autocorrect for my spelling problems, but I'm on a computer and keyboard...

As for the future of our outfield, either Braun or Davis need to go. Sanyana, Bruxton, Phillips, Reed, and Taylor in the not so distant future and a boatload of outfielders in four to five years. I think Davis, to an American League team, could be a great DH and spot outfielder and get 2-3 really nice prospects. Who knows with Braun and his contract. It seems like a team like the Angels (upgrade of Cron at DH) would be a good landing spot for Braun and the Angels.

re: Domingo Santana. I liked what I saw of him last year. I was hoping he would be a starter in the outfield somewhere. Sounds like Stearns (and some on this board) may not be high on him.

Maybe if we trade Braun or Lucroy we can throw him in the deal a la Nelson Cruz, who I personally compare Domingo Santana to.

What would you rather have?

Cheap 1B stopgap in Jason Rogers?

Prospects plus cheap 1B stopgap?

Clearly people are having reading comprehension issues with the first 9 words of my comment.

Am I missing something here. Its Brett Phillips not Maverick Phillips right?

My preference would be to call him Bret Maverick, skipping the second t on the first name and omitting Phillips entirely. :)

At any rate, his full name is Brett Maverick Phillips. It appears that he was named after the Bret Maverick TV character played by James Garner.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived