Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade Jason Rogers to Pirates for more than you'd expect: CF Keon Broxton & RHP Trey Supak; scouting notes in thread [Latest: Rogers called up, post 243]

markedman5
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2016 Emerging Prospect

Trey Supak (RHP)

Taken in the supplemental second round of the 2014 draft, Supak is the definition of raw projection. At 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds, he’s still growing into his body and learning how to pitch. His fastball sits 93 to 95 MPH and he’s learning how to spin a curve ball. He has swing and miss potential and good control, but he’s catching way too much of the plate, resulting in too many hits. The potential is clearly there and the Pirates should start to the take the training wheels off in 2016 and start him in full season ball.

Baseball America has almost the same quote in this article:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/trade-central-pirates-brewers-get-together-deal/

Drafted in the supplemental second round in 2014 out of high school in Texas, Supak passed on a commitment to Houston to sign with the Pirates for $1 million. The 6-foot-4, 209-pounder has a projectable, athletic frame with long levers, but is still learning how to command the fastball, which sits in the low 90s. He has potential for a put-away power curveball, which he throws with tight spin, but he’s still working to get it to be more consistent. When it’s on, the curve has top-to-bottom action. Supak made only eight appearances because of an undisclosed injury and he was shut down from mid-July to mid-August.

Thank the good lord Rogers is gone...now the hopes and dreams crowd can give it up. Aside from that, on paper this looks like a pretty nice return.

I don't think it was that people really liked Rogers that much as the fact he was already at 1B, in the system, and cheap. Looked like a guy we should have given a chance to instead of going out and getting someone or moving another guy to 1B.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I find this a very intriguing trade. While I was curious to see what Rogers could do, I never thought he'd be any kind of long term impact player. Neither of these two are going to be stars, but I could see both being solid contributors. Don't seem to be particularly risky either.

More weakening of the major league roster. Sure Rogers will be 28 but he's a minimum wage player for a couple more years. Broxton isn't that young either and the teenager pitcher has a 5.85 ERA in pro ball. Some return. Didn't read Attanasio's letter. Did he mention lowering ticket prices?

I will take that return for a back up 1B who can't play another position any day. Jason Rogers is never going to produce as a average starter so glad we got some value while it was still high.

As for blocking him I don't think that was ever the plan. I am guessing trading him was always in Stearns mind.

Thanks for the links TLB. Here's some additional info on Trey Supak from the 2015 BA Prospect Handbook where he ranked the Pirates #14 prospect (it was written a little over a year ago)...

Supak became the first player in 10 years to be drafted from La Grange (Texas) High, with the last being Reds righthander Homer Bailey. The Pirates went over slot to sign him for $1 million as a supplemental second-round pick in 2014. The Pirates are intrigued by Supak's large frame and believe he can add velocity to his fastball that topped out at 94 mph in high school and usually sits 90-91, though he struggled to maintain that velocity deep in games. His heater lacks movement. His curveball flashes plus and his changeup has a chance to be at least an average pitch. Supak leverages his size very well, coming at hitters from an angle that is almost straight over the top, which makes his pitches hard to pick up. Supak lacks polish and figures to stay in extended spring training in 2015 before joining short-season Morgantown in June when the New York-Penn League season opens.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Thank the good lord Rogers is gone...now the hopes and dreams crowd can give it up. Aside from that, on paper this looks like a pretty nice return.

I don't think it was that people really liked Rogers that much as the fact he was already at 1B, in the system, and cheap. Looked like a guy we should have given a chance to instead of going out and getting someone or moving another guy to 1B.

Well they did give him a chance, just with Pittsburgh. Rodgers didn't seem like the kind of player the Brewers were motivated to trade, but I guess Pittsburgh motivated them. Good luck to him, although I kind of hope he doesn't have a huge career year that would have made him worth a whole lot more next off season.

Wow, that is one helluva return for Jason Rogers

Keon Broxton is only 25, 6'3" and can go and get it in CF. I love how Stearns is upgrading the overall athleticism among the Brewers. Broxton is another player who will take his walks and get on base and steal 2nd.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The Brewers still have a lot of time and options in the market for filling first base. I don't think moving Santana or Braun is in the cards right now.

My guess is Nava (switch hitter with some positional versatility, kind of a theme) and some RHB of the same ilk (Steve Pearce?).

Nava is now an Angel.

Prayers go out to his family.

More weakening of the major league roster. Sure Rogers will be 28 but he's a minimum wage player for a couple more years. Broxton isn't that young either and the teenager pitcher has a 5.85 ERA in pro ball. Some return. Didn't read Attanasio's letter. Did he mention lowering ticket prices?

Your lack of knowledge -- but more notably your disinterest in acquiring any knowledge -- on the players added in the trades this offseason is a bit much. Your opinion on any of them is basically empty.

You were around & very actively posting all during the developmental build up to contention & then MLB contention in the late 2000s-early 2010. But it's like you can't even remember that that's how the Brewers built their best squad since the glory days of the 80s.

I'm sure this post will do absolutely nothing to influence your opinion, & strangely will actually probably embolden it even more. But it's really, really tiring to read post after post from you knocking trades when you do zero homework & frankly seem to take a smug pride in not being able to be bothered because you've seen it all before & don't need to learn anything. I get that it genuinely matters a lot to you if the 2016 team wins 78 games compared to 59, & I don't find your frustration there irritating at all -- to each his own. But enough of the self-righteous rants about young players that you've never seen or even bothered to try to learn a little about.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Good summary on Keon Broxton. http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/9/24/9384295/who-is-pittsburgh-pirates-prospect-keon-broxton

[The Pittsburgh Pirates promoted outfield prospect Keon Broxton to the major league roster a few days ago. Broxton hasn't received much attention outside of Pirates circles this year but he's actually an intriguing talent worthy of notice. Let's do our due diligence and take a look at who Broxton is and what he can do for a team.

Broxton was originally drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2009, a third round pick from Santa Fe Community College in Florida. He was considered to be raw but had the strength and athleticism to provide both power and speed on offense and good defense in the outfield, provided he could close up some holes in his swing and add general polish with the glove. Early results were mixed: he hit just .228/.316/.360 in the Midwest League in 2010, fanning 172 times. He did draw 65 walks and steal 21 bases, but the general sense of rawness remained.

After another mediocre campaign in 2011 Broxton made progress tapping his power in the California League in 2012, hitting .267/.326/.437 with 19 homers and 21 steals, though he still had some contact/plate discipline issues (40 walks, 135 strikeouts.) Moved up to Double-A in 2013, he had a poor season (.231/.296/.359) and his stock was down to the point that the Diamondbacks simply sold his contract to the Pirates at the end of the year.

The change in organizations revitalized him: he hit .275/.369/.484 in Double-A in 2014, with 15 homers, 25 steals, better strike zone judgment, and sharper defense. Broxton continued progressing in 2015, hitting .273/.357/.438 with 27 doubles, 12 triples, 10 homers, 39 steals, 66 walks, 156 strikeouts in 456 at-bats in Double-A and Triple-A.

Broxton is a right-handed hitter and thrower, 6-3, 195, born May 7, 1990. On any given day he's one of the best athletes on the baseball diamond but his baseball skills took time to refine. He is still vulnerable to strikeouts and isn't the type of hitter to bat .300 over a broad sample, but his power and speed combination has value and he can provide quality glovework at all three outfield positions.

Thanks for the links TLB. Here's some additional info on Trey Supak from the 2015 BA Prospect Handbook where he ranked the Pirates #14 prospect (it was written a little over a year ago)...

Supak became the first player in 10 years to be drafted from La Grange (Texas) High, with the last being Reds righthander Homer Bailey. The Pirates went over slot to sign him for $1 million as a supplemental second-round pick in 2014. The Pirates are intrigued by Supak's large frame and believe he can add velocity to his fastball that topped out at 94 mph in high school and usually sits 90-91, though he struggled to maintain that velocity deep in games. His heater lacks movement. His curveball flashes plus and his changeup has a chance to be at least an average pitch. Supak leverages his size very well, coming at hitters from an angle that is almost straight over the top, which makes his pitches hard to pick up. Supak lacks polish and figures to stay in extended spring training in 2015 before joining short-season Morgantown in June when the New York-Penn League season opens.

Thanks for this, right back at ya. He's young enough that it's probably way too early to start pigeonholing him into any specific role, but that profile of his repertoire reads like a guy who could possibly slide into a power bullpen role if he can't work deep enough into games or can't add that changeup as a third pitch. Actually, the profile of a 6'5" righty with a mid- to upper-90s fastball that lacks movement & with a big breaking curveball makes me think of Axford.

I personally love this trade. Adding more depth is exactly what I as a fan want to happen. Broxton is a speedy CF who can go get it and is still developing at the plate. Supak adds yet another arm, and as we all know, you can never have enough pitching. Maybe a Davis trade yet to get Santana to RF, Braun back to LF and Broxton at CF. and for those of you who constantly complain about the W-L record for 2016.....do you want to continue to hang in the middle-to-bottom of the pack? Stearns is doing exactly what needs to be done IMHO. Youth and depth folks.....youth and depth.....

Good summary on Keon Broxton. http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/9/24/9384295/who-is-pittsburgh-pirates-prospect-keon-broxton

[The Pittsburgh Pirates promoted outfield prospect Keon Broxton to the major league roster a few days ago. Broxton hasn't received much attention outside of Pirates circles this year but he's actually an intriguing talent worthy of notice. Let's do our due diligence and take a look at who Broxton is and what he can do for a team.

Broxton was originally drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2009, a third round pick from Santa Fe Community College in Florida. He was considered to be raw but had the strength and athleticism to provide both power and speed on offense and good defense in the outfield, provided he could close up some holes in his swing and add general polish with the glove. Early results were mixed: he hit just .228/.316/.360 in the Midwest League in 2010, fanning 172 times. He did draw 65 walks and steal 21 bases, but the general sense of rawness remained.

After another mediocre campaign in 2011 Broxton made progress tapping his power in the California League in 2012, hitting .267/.326/.437 with 19 homers and 21 steals, though he still had some contact/plate discipline issues (40 walks, 135 strikeouts.) Moved up to Double-A in 2013, he had a poor season (.231/.296/.359) and his stock was down to the point that the Diamondbacks simply sold his contract to the Pirates at the end of the year.

The change in organizations revitalized him: he hit .275/.369/.484 in Double-A in 2014, with 15 homers, 25 steals, better strike zone judgment, and sharper defense. Broxton continued progressing in 2015, hitting .273/.357/.438 with 27 doubles, 12 triples, 10 homers, 39 steals, 66 walks, 156 strikeouts in 456 at-bats in Double-A and Triple-A.

Broxton is a right-handed hitter and thrower, 6-3, 195, born May 7, 1990. On any given day he's one of the best athletes on the baseball diamond but his baseball skills took time to refine. He is still vulnerable to strikeouts and isn't the type of hitter to bat .300 over a broad sample, but his power and speed combination has value and he can provide quality glovework at all three outfield positions.

Lo Cain comes to mind a little bit here

Your lack of knowledge -- but more notably your disinterest in acquiring any knowledge -- on the players added in the trades this offseason is a bit much. Your opinion on any of them is basically empty.

You were around & very actively posting all during the developmental build up to contention & then MLB contention in the late 2000s-early 2010. But it's like you can't even remember that that's how the Brewers built their best squad since the glory days of the 80s.

I'm sure this post will do absolutely nothing to influence your opinion, & strangely will actually probably embolden it even more. But it's really, really tiring to read post after post from you knocking trades when you do zero homework & frankly seem to take a smug pride in not being able to be bothered because you've seen it all before & don't need to learn anything. I get that it genuinely matters a lot to you if the 2016 team wins 78 games compared to 59, & I don't find your frustration there irritating at all -- to each his own. But enough of the self-righteous rants about young players that you've never seen or even bothered to try to learn a little about.

^^^ This

Rogers had an .818 OPS as a 25 year old in AA while Broxton had .795 OPS splitting time between AA and AAA in his age 25 season. One plays passable defense at first while the other can supposedly go get it in CF. Throw in a lottery ticket with Supak and I think this is a very nice return.

Two things about the Brewers come to mind.

It's going to be super interesting seeing who makes the roster coming out of Arizona. Flores, Walsh, Cecchini, Middlebrooks, Rivera, Villar, Broxton, Peterson, Perez. Lots of competition.

I've literally never been more fascinated by our system. I'm thinking about it a few days before Christmas. This is so much fun. I said this in another post but we are going to need top 50 lists to keep track of all the guys, especially as we add more and more guys in trades and with high picks the next couple of years.

Every pirates fan i know is so underwhelmed, which i love

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I like Jason Rogers' stick more than most here. I don't think his age was as big of a crime against humanity as others' think. He's a late bloomer and started later so he's just older. Big deal. He can hit professionally with a good tool kit and he can hit in the clutch.

But the bottom line is you have to like the return here. I also like Stearns' approach of volume. Get enough guys with potential and you're bound to strike gold more often through having more chances at it.

Lo Cain comes to mind a little bit here

That would be nice. You've got to like the extra bases and the speed and reportedly there is defense. Lo Cain was a lower draft pick and had some development time.

Archived