Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade Jason Rogers to Pirates for more than you'd expect: CF Keon Broxton & RHP Trey Supak; scouting notes in thread [Latest: Rogers called up, post 243]

markedman5

broxton's oh-fer performance to start the season reminded me of another player who was once a promising prospect: brad nelson.

One of Nelson's final AB's was caught at the wall, and I wondered if that ball had gone another 2-3 feet and been a homer if he would have been cut, or if that would have been enough to give him more "leash." Then, a little hot streak could have had him in a Brewer uniform for a while.

Baseball's funny. If you start out 20-for-20, you could then go 0-for-40, and still be a .333 hitter. If you started 0-for-40, you'd probably never get another shot. Same goes with a team's record. Start off bad, and you will probably be trading away players at the deadline. If the same roster started out hot, they would probably add players at the deadline. This has pretty much been the Brewers' m.o. the past few years, which is why I'm glad we finally bought into Stearns and his philosophy, which hopefully won't be as dependent on (for lack of a better word) "luck" in the small sample of the first couple of months of a season.

As to Broxton, I like how Counsell is handling things. He's doing a good job of giving everyone some time, and hasn't veered from his strategy based on a small number of PAs. Broxton and Flores are both playing this year to see if what role they'll play in the future once Phillips is up, so we might as well keep trotting them out there to see what they can do.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelson actually had minor league hitting credentials so I don't think the comparison is a good one. He also was mainly being used as pinch hitter. Broxton's never done anything with the bat that remotely stamps him as a good offensive player other than some double digit HR years. Plus he's always struck out a lot. At nearly 26, it's not likely he's going to turn himself into a hitter anytime soon either.

I didn't expect him to hit much, but he's being completely overmatched so far. That said it's only 15 plate appearances but with Reed swinging the bat well in AAA, the clock is ticking. Normally I'd give a guy 60 PA to show something. If he doesn't start doing something though in the next 25-30, I'd pull the plug. Where's the bunt attempts? A guy as fast as he is should have 2-3 infield hits per week but it's hard to beat out infield hits if you don't put the ball in play.

I'm frankly dubious that Broxton has any future in the big leagues. Right now, I have more confidence in the pitchers for the Brewers getting a hit than Broxton.

He's not the only disappointment. We knew Walsh might be a defensive liability and he is that, but we're still waiting for his first hit, and we're also waiting on Hill. Combined Hill, Broxton, Walsh and Maldonado are 3 for 56 (.054) with no extra base hits and 20 Ks. Ouch!! The Brewer pitchers are 2 for 16 (.125) with 8 Ks.

It is early. I am glad Counsell is not panicking this early on and giving his players a leash to show what they have. I mean even judging a guy like Walsh (batting wise) on sporadic plate appearances is flat out silly.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's an interesting dynamic because if you are going to play young guys it is really important to give them a serious chance to show themselves. The slightly different issue in this case though is that Broxton isn't trying to hold off random journeyman player in his 30's there is another young guy who wants a shot. Normally I'd lean towards giving him at least a month, but if he can't get a hit soon you want to reward Reed and give him a chance to establish himself. There's nothing wrong with trying to win some games in a 'rebuilding' year.

I don't think the Brewers view Reed as a CF in any way, so I don't know that he would be Broxton's replacement anyway. He's only started 24 games in CF in the last 3 seasons. It seems they view him as a guy who can play it in a pinch, but profiles as a corner. It just doesn't seem like they'd bring him up and immediately put him in as the starting CF.

Exactly, Reed isn't a CF, at least in the eyes of the Brewers. I think they're playing it the right way. Giving all the young guys some chances to see what they can do. That was the plan from the beginning, and no reason to change that after 9 games. No prospects are being blocked, there's no push for the playoffs, so just let these guys play and see what they can do.

Now, if Broxton (or any other player) is just completely lost, yes at some point it's in his best interest to send him down.

He plays pretty good defense though. I'd give Broxton and Flores until June at least even if they never hit anything.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I don't think the Brewers view Reed as a CF in any way, so I don't know that he would be Broxton's replacement anyway. He's only started 24 games in CF in the last 3 seasons. It seems they view him as a guy who can play it in a pinch, but profiles as a corner. It just doesn't seem like they'd bring him up and immediately put him in as the starting CF.

Reed is the only guy in AAA outfield who's on the 40 man and is a RH hitter. Or if you want a true CF without starting Phillips arby clock, bring up Tyrone Taylor. He can't hit worse than Broxton. Flores isn't really a CF either but he's been out there. Reed's no Broxton defensively but how long can you go with a guy with an OPS under .200? I say no more than 3 more weeks.

Michael Bourn's out there for major league minimum too, but oh yeah, they're tanking. Can't win too many.

Reed is the only guy in AAA outfield who's on the 40 man and is a RH hitter. Or if you want a true CF without starting Phillips arby clock, bring up Tyrone Taylor. He can't hit worse than Broxton. Flores isn't really a CF either but he's been out there. Reed's no Broxton defensively but how long can you go with a guy with an OPS under .200? I say no more than 3 more weeks.

Michael Bourn's out there for major league minimum too, but oh yeah, they're tanking. Can't win too many.

I can't imagine them winning any more games with Bourn than with Broxton. Bourn is terrible, has been terrible for a few seasons now. He's at the end and the Brewers aren't bringing in a guy like that when they can give other guys a shot (Broxton, Nieuwenhuis, Reed, Taylor).

11 games in. 11. There is no way to determine what the answer may or not be in 11 games.

Exactly. I'm fine with sending Broxton down. The coaches look at him and think he needs reps in AAA to get right? Fair enough. But to pretend to make any conclusive judgments about the guy based on 18 PA is simply to betray the persistence of pre-existing bias.

Rogers was called up today.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

According to Rotoworld:

Jason Rogers - 1B - Pirates

Pirates recalled INF Jason Rogers from Triple-A Indianapolis.

He earned a promotion by hitting .366/.435/.683 with three homers at Indy. Rogers will likely serve mainly as a pinch-hitter but could see some starts at first base versus lefties.

Apr 22 - 5:51 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived