Brewer Fanatic

Guess Miller Park's 2016 attendance [Latest: final attendance is 2,314,614]

CheezWizHed
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's difficult to predict a teams attendance in general let alone a team with an absurd amount of fair weather fans

Are you suggesting Milwaukee has more fair weather fans than most teams?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator

It's hard to say how much attendance will be hurt by poor projections. It's bee a while since the Brewers were unanimously picked to be near the bottom of the division.

The Wrigley North effect will help with attendance like it did in the early 2000s. There are 9 Cubs home games this year which should boost the numbers by a few hundred thousand. I'll go with 2,293,468.

2,200,0001 on the nose

most people attending major league baseball games have no idea whether or not the team is good.

Cool. 22M people (despite the misplaced commas) would be a record! :)

I'll say 2,238,830 if Arcia and Maverick stay at AAA prior to Sept call-ups.

More like 2,414,930 if they are up midseason.

When I looked up the Miller Park vs. County Stadium numbers, there certainly seems like a major attendance shift (upwards) for Miller Park. The best years in County Stadium (1987, 1983) align with poor years at Miller Park. They could win only 45 games this year and probably still draw over 2M fans.

I suspect the attendance will be somewhere between 2,222,222 and 2,222,226, depending upon whether that couple of Greenfield that usually attends two games per year will still support the team. I think they will, so my official guess is 2,222,226.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I suspect the attendance will be somewhere between 2,222,222 and 2,222,226, depending upon whether that couple of Greenfield that usually attends two games per year will still support the team. I think they will, so my official guess is 2,222,226.

[sarcasm]Unfortunately, they were fans of Jason Rogers. They even had his misspelled Packer jersey. Now that he is gone, they won't show up.[/sarcasm]

• 9 months later...

It's time to go back and look back at everyone's guesses.

Attendance is currently 2,251,440, so with two dates to go, I guess it's fair to figure that the year will end in the 2,325,000 range.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I was shocked by the amount of people that were predicting under 2mil...and my reasons for shock have been validated. We would have to be bad for season after season to get that. Probably playing absolutely horrid down the stretch Minnesota Twins style.

Attendance is currently 2,251,440, so with two dates to go, I guess it's fair to figure that the year will end in the 2,325,000 range.

Just to think, they drew a record 2.3 million in 1983 the year after the pennant when Wisconsin was bonkers over the Brewers.

I'll say 2,238,830 if Arcia and Maverick stay at AAA prior to Sept call-ups.

More like 2,414,930 if they are up midseason.

Since Arcia came up and Maverick stayed down, I get to split the difference, right? (2,414,930+2,238,830)/2= 2,326,880. Not too bad. ;)

I think I won this one with 2.3 million..... AND with the note of 1.9 in actual attendance. The inclusion of BP ticket no shows and other free ticket handout no shows severely alter actual ATTENDance. The last two games I went to, there was in the ballpark of (pun intended) 15,000 fans.... Not the mid 20 thousand number announced. Borderline dishonest.

This season's final attendance: 2,314,614.

I had guessed that today's attendance (31,776) would be higher based on the fact that no terrace tickets were available online. All I can figure is that the Brewers didn't offer those seats for sale once the charity price was offered. As of last night, there were about 2,000 bleacher seats and about 30 club seats available for purchase.

rickh150, based on what we've seen over the years, I think that very few seats count as truly free. We had an example of free seats very early in the Attanasio tenure, possibly his first season. The Brewers offered all remaining seats for the final home game for free. Tickets were snapped up in no time. The official attendance was announced at 13,000-something. It was estimated that 27,000 people occupied seats.

My guess is that baseball has guidelines for what's considered free and what's considered paid. It likely makes perfect sense to them, even though it may make little sense to us. I'd surmise that BP tickets once redeemed (not necessarily used) count as paid seats because the promotion is paid for by BP, albeit at what's likely a heavily discounted rate.

This season's final attendance: 2,314,614.

I had guessed that today's attendance (31,776) would be higher based on the fact that no terrace tickets were available online. All I can figure is that the Brewers didn't offer those seats for sale once the charity price was offered. As of last night, there were about 2,000 bleacher seats and about 30 club seats available for purchase.

rickh150, based on what we've seen over the years, I think that very few seats count as truly free. We had an example of free seats very early in the Attanasio tenure, possibly his first season. The Brewers offered all remaining seats for the final home game for free. Tickets were snapped up in no time. The official attendance was announced at 13,000-something. It was estimated that 27,000 people occupied seats.

My guess is that baseball has guidelines for what's considered free and what's considered paid. It likely makes perfect sense to them, even though it may make little sense to us. I'd surmise that BP tickets once redeemed (not necessarily used) count as paid seats because the promotion is paid for by BP, albeit at what's likely a heavily discounted rate.

Can't believe there has eve been announced attendance LESS than how many actually were there.....

There is no way that 2 million people saw games this year at Miller Park. Announced attendance for BP games is laughably higher than how many are in the stands. Many people got free BP Terrace tickets and didn't show. IMO, freeby no shows shouldn't count. Season ticket holder/plan no shows are different, in my mind, since money changed hands, I guess. This year I received freebies thru Arctic tailgate scratch offs, BP tickets, and group leader freebies (all great promos). However, I got some free BP tickets that I did use, yet those tickets are counted as people who attended a Brewers game. On average, actual people in seat attendance IMO was an avg of 4,000 to 7,000 less than announced, a difference probably larger than any season in Milker Park history. Bad PR if numbers are deemed Waaaaay lower, right?

I don't think there's a PR issue because I think that most fans are more concerned about what's happening on the field than they are with possible discrepancies regarding announced attendance. I think the team has a knowledgeable fan base that understands the concept of the rebuild. But I think that knowledge likely stops short of questioning attendance figures. You can count me in the category of people who'd be intrigued and interested, but I can't say I'm annoyed.

The situation I couldn't figure out was the long streak of sellouts a few years back. At most games, there'd be a glaringly obvious chunk of empty seats. I wonder if those seats were gobbled up by the secondary market and not resold.

At any rate, this is the eleventh consecutive year that the Brewers have drawn 2.3 million or more fans. Only seven other teams can make that claim: the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Cardinals, Angels, Giants and Red Sox.

Attendance numbers are only important for attracting and charging sponsors so it's not surprise they're grossly inflated.

Grossly inflated, indeed. I'm not greatly upset about it; it probably happens everywhere, sure. But when I hear gushing over how great the crowds have been at Miller Park this year- and I have been to several this year- the truth is that the numbers have much lower than announced..... this year especially.

Archived