Brewer Fanatic

Will Middlebrooks Signs, MLB Camp Invite (Latest at Post #95: assigned to AAA; could've opted out)

ewitkows
Got non tendered by the Padres. He's had 1 good year and been below average since. Wouldn't mind picking him up to see if he can bounce back. Maybe he does and you have a legit 3b for 3 years till he hits FA or you flip him for more assets

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

No on Middlebrooks. Below average defender, can't hit for average, doesn't walk much, a modicum of power. He simply is a bad player, and I don't want anyone being tempted to think he's anything more than that and giving him playing time.

He's had his chances (several of them) and failed. Time to give others a try.

No on Middlebrooks. Below average defender, can't hit for average, doesn't walk much, a modicum of power. He simply is a bad player, and I don't want anyone being tempted to think he's anything more than that and giving him playing time.

He's had his chances (several of them) and failed. Time to give others a try.

Sounds like you're describing a bad-fielding infield version of Logan Schafer. We've moved on from the OF version and we don't need an IF version in his place.

Man, the turn of events in the opinion of the guy. I think he was the most sought after 3b in here in 2014. I didn't like him as an option back then. But in this instance, I'd consider letting him attempt to win a 3b job. He's not going to be the Starting 3b for the Brewers for the next 5 years as is nobody else on the current roster. At least of 3b he'd be one of the options where he's playing his usual position and not a 2b/SS/Utility playing 3b. This is a Non Playoff team in 2016. Give him the chance to make the Opening day roster. He's 27. He hasn't been given a full-time shot or remained healthy enough to consider a length of playing a given full time shot. Of all the guys the team has assembled thus far to play 3b potentially, Middlebrooks has the most Power in his bat. When the team is staring at the possibility of Segura as your best 3b option, maybe Villar. I'd rather see Middlebrooks get a chance and keep the Middle infielders where they belong.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel like I'm supposed to be excited about this. But I'm really not.

It's an MiLB deal, so it's not like this is a big risk. Moves like this are what the Brewers should be doing right now, especially with 3B being such a huge question mark right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm excited that we are giving guys like Middlebrooks and Cecchini an opportunity to be those guys who blossom later in their careers. It is a solid move at a position we have really no one at. What do we have to lose? Either way, it does provide a fun chance to track these guys as they try to make their impact on this team.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Certainly worth taking a flyer on. Whatever happened with Middlebrooks? He was such a highly regarded prospect.

He has the plate discipline of Yuni and pitcher's exploited it.

Also, while it seemed that he had a lot of talent in the minors at a certain point, he wasn't THAT highly regarded of a prospect. He did well when he came up for Boston, hence the explosion.

I think he was overrated, but we can afford to make about 50 no-risk moves right now, so I'll take it.

My biggest fear with this type of signing is if he has a hot spring and the Brewers release a player with some potential only to watch Middlebrooks turn back into a pumpkin once the season starts. That's the downside to just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.

Archived