Brewer Fanatic

Astros give up the farm for Ken Giles

Not really. Appel hasn't progressed like he was expected. Velasquez has the possibility of being good. But 4 prospects isn't "giving up the farm". There's still a a ton of talent in the Astros organization. And to get a 25 year old year flame throwing closer, you have to give up a bit.

Seems like Rosenthal wanted to fit a narrative and did anything he could do to do so. Note: I like Rosenthal.

"Sabrmetrics guys don't value relievers" - Yes, I know that due to the total innings pitched, they get less value than some of the casual observers may give, but the stats guys still value the good ones.

"Sabrmetrics guys believe that anyone can be closer" - This is basically true. Part of the reason they've signed "closers" is to keep the arbitration #s of their own relievers down. Otherwise, yes, a moderately good reliever could be a closer and you'd be fine. The only problem is that given the constraints of the silly position, you do have a reasonable amount of high-leverage, so the reliever has to be decent.

"Give up the farm" - Post above touches on this package not being that massive.

I touched on it in the rule 5 thread but I wonder how much Stearns shares the Astros philosophy on bullpens. You take a look at their bullpen and it's cost them a lot in terms of money and talent. Gregerson, Sipp, and Neshek were free agents and now this trade for Giles. I know a lot of posters here are against spending big for relievers but that's what the Astros have done. I'll be interested to see what Stearns does.

To get 5years of Giles plus they got a 17yr old SS to me is a great deal. He's the real deal. He's going to be worth as much or more in a package if you try trading him away in next 3 years maybe even 4.

As for Brewers BP. Jeffress and Kneble to me will fill out backend. I think the team as enough arms to plug up the RP situation. And a rule 5 pickup like Jones? was it(probably wrong w/o looking) is another way to fill up cheaply the Bullpen. We are starting off far better in the BP than the Astros did in past 2 seasons.

Appel I'm rooting against. Guy was top 10 pick declined his Pitts. offer went back to school came out and got his #1 money and has mostly been a joke in results at his professional level. Pirates with Meadows must be a lot happier to have seen Appel not sign.

Archived