Brewer Fanatic

Jason Heyward to Cubs; 8 years, $184 million

jjkoestler

Probably around $200 million for him. Good player, not great. Will help them right now though.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I take back everything I have said about Brauns contract.

I know we arent allowed to talk about HR's and RBI's in this era of baseball, but my goodness what an unproductive player to have what is assumed to be a just under $200M contract.

I know we arent allowed to talk about HR's and RBI's in this era of baseball, but my goodness what an unproductive player to have what is assumed to be a just under $200M contract.

Can we talk about defense? I know that everyone is getting inflated contracts as compared to even 5 years ago now, but Heyward plays some really good defense. If you believe in Fangraphs' WAR, he's about the same player Braun is in terms of value given their ages. Of course, contracts are quite inflated now.

Can we talk about defense? I know that everyone is getting inflated contracts as compared to even 5 years ago now, but Heyward plays some really good defense. If you believe in Fangraphs' WAR, he's about the same player Braun is in terms of value given their ages. Of course, contracts are quite inflated now.

Does he play great defense in CF? Because that's where it sounds like he'll be.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He is a very good defensive player no doubt about it. But $200M good?

If this is the direction of contracts in baseball (and it is), I feel quite dubious about the Brewers plans on keeping anyone after 6 years.

The difference between Heyward and Braun, is that Braun took the financial security early and left possible free agent money on the table while Heyward played the FA market.

Also, Braun started his ML service/clock/ much later and would have hit FA at age 29 or so, not 26 like Heyward.

Even though most of the new TV money hadn't kicked in in 2012...I believe that would have been the end of Braun's arbitration, correct?

Can you imagine if Braun had just let his rookie/arby deal run its course and he hit the market after 2012, before the roid stuff? What does he get, 9/$200, even in the "old days" of 2012/2013? Then, in the middle of his first deal that bought out some of his free agency, he signed an extension for $100 million.

Assuming he played things correctly in hindsight and got his big contract(s) before the roid stuff came out, I bet Braun might have grossed $230-$250 over his career, not the $170 or so that he's going to end up with.

The difference between Heyward and Braun, is that Braun took the financial security early and left possible free agent money on the table while Heyward played the FA market.

Also, Braun started his ML service/clock/ much later and would have hit FA at age 29 or so, not 26 like Heyward.

Even though most of the new TV money hadn't kicked in in 2012...I believe that would have been the end of Braun's arbitration, correct?

Can you imagine if Braun had just let his rookie/arby deal run its course and he hit the market after 2012, before the roid stuff? What does he get, 9/$200, even in the "old days" of 2012/2013? Then, in the middle of his first deal that bought out some of his free agency, he signed an extension for $100 million.

Assuming he played things correctly in hindsight and got his big contract(s) before the roid stuff came out, I bet Braun might have grossed $230-$250 over his career, not the $170 or so that he's going to end up with.

Im no Braun fan anymore but if he keeps up his 2015 level of production for 4 more years he will be a relative baseball bargain under his extension.

i should be more upset, but i have always thought he was quite overrated after his rookie season.

Agree that he's a little overrated, but the Cubs have plenty of money, so that mitigates it at least somewhat.

You'd have to think they'll trade Soler for young, cheap pitching now and pursue a real center fielder. I don't think Heyward in center is going to work out very well.

They have so much hitting they just need someone that can play defense.

Im no Braun fan anymore but if he keeps up his 2015 level of production for 4 more years he will be a relative baseball bargain under his extension.

Sure, that is what happens with inflation in most cases. On top of that, Braun signed a "bargain" deal for financial security before he could hit the market.

Heyward is 26 and according to Fangraphs was the #11 best position player in all of baseball last year because of his elite defense and solid offense. We'll see if that holds true.

Braun is a below average defender, but not terrible. "Pretty good" bat, but he is probably only going to decline from here.

Of course, for the next 2-3 years, it doesn't even matter what Braun makes to me. The Brewers' payroll is somewhat irrelevant at this point. I'd like to have an extra $20 million to take risks on vets or sprinkle over the organization, but the only point it will matter is probably the 2019/2020 part of things. Who knows if he's here at that point.

Heyward is supposedly ranked as the best defender in the game; albeit as a RF. I am sure he would atleast be an average CF but he is spectacular in RF. He is fairly ordinary on offense. Chicago already has so much talent in their lineup that whatever Heyward gives them is gravy. Plus this also allows them to possibly flip Soler or a different outfielder for some help in other areas. 8 years and 185 is a lot of money for just an OK offensive player but its not a bad signing I don't think.

On a related note are the Cards in trouble? They lost Lackey and Heyward. Holliday and Molina are old as dirt and Wainright is always hurt now. Are they declining?

Sure, that is what happens with inflation in most cases. On top of that, Braun signed a "bargain" deal for financial security before he could hit the market.

Heyward is 26 and according to Fangraphs was the #11 best position player in all of baseball last year because of his elite defense and solid offense. We'll see if that holds true.

Braun is a below average defender, but not terrible. "Pretty good" bat, but he is probably only going to decline from here.

Of course, for the next 2-3 years, it doesn't even matter what Braun makes to me. The Brewers' payroll is somewhat irrelevant at this point. I'd like to have an extra $20 million to take risks on vets or sprinkle over the organization, but the only point it will matter is probably the 2019/2020 part of things. Who knows if he's here at that point.

I think defensive metrics for non critical defensive positions tend to get over rated. No one will convince me Braun is less valuable than Brett Gardner. Yet in WAR they are quite comparable depending on what site you view.

As to the Brewers payroll, it hardly matters the next 2 + years. This is clearly going to be a very very bad MLB team that will be picking top 1-5 consistently.

I brought up Brauns contract as partly a Mea Culpa on his contract and partly that he is now a very trade able asset and none of us could say that 6 months ago.

On a related note are the Cards in trouble? They lost Lackey and Heyward. Holliday and Molina are old as dirt and Wainright is always hurt now. Are they declining?

Yes, hopefully they refuse to believe it and get stuck in the middle for a long time.

Yes, hopefully they refuse to believe it and get stuck in the middle for a long time.

But it will be the classiest, most unwritten rule keeping, speaking the most highly of yourself middle you will ever find!

But it will be the classiest, most unwritten rule keeping, speaking the most highly of yourself middle you will ever find!

[sarcasm]Yes, we all know that, if the Cardinals are mediocre, they will be mediocre in the right way.[/sarcasm]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is a good signing for the Cubs. I know people want to bash them for it, but the guy is coming off his age 25 year, not his age 30 season. He's also not a terrible hitter. He put up a .359 OBP and stole 23 bases.

He's going to put up a .350+ OBP (we would kill for that, wouldn't we??) Steal 20 bases, hit 13-15 homers, and play GG caliber defense..... probably for the next 5-6 years. It's not impossible that he'll find a little bit more power. He has seasons of 18 and 27 homers.

Is he a 22 - 23 million dollar a year player?

Well....... kinda yeah. He's going into his age 26 season, he OBP's well, plays good defense, and hits for decent power. If the Brewers were on the cusp of contending and Heyward played a position of need, he'd be exactly the kind of guy (and at the age) they could target.

Good, let the Cubs go all in for a window that overlaps with the Brewers rebuild. Keep on stacking up the albatrosses for 4+ years from now!

To be fair he is only 26. His body type might not age gracefully, and his bat is nothing special but the majority of this contract is his prime. Parra has shown us the volatility of corner outfielder defensive metrics but Heyward has been graded outstanding for awhile now. Best thing to hope for is Cubs tv is a disaster...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/despite-risks-cubs-eyeing-own-tv-network/

I have to think this means the Cubs are moving Soler. Heyward is the best RF in baseball, but that doesn't mean he will be a great CF. The Cubs are in full contending mode, I would be surprised if they didn't do something to make sure they have an above average defensive CF out there. Maybe Heyward will be better in CF than I think, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense to sign a guy to a huge deal, then move him off the spot where he is the best defensive player in baseball at his position.

Archived