Brewer Fanatic

Garin Cecchini to Brewers for Cash Considerations

billymac

Hmmm... Baseball reference said: chick-KEE-nee

That's about the same as what kalle posted. chick-KEE-nee and chick-kinney are essentially the same.

What's predictable is that almost everyone except Coshun will get the pronunciation right.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great...another guy with limited range and erratic arm to play 3rd.

But this time we found one on the clearance rack! Why does it even matter when we are hoping to lose 90-100 games next season? At least the potential of becoming a serviceable player is still there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Some interesting thoughts:

- Cecchini hit really well in the low minors when he was close to the age of his peers (-1.6 years from average to almost average). He struggled more in the high minors when he was -2.8 to -4.0 from average. Possible late bloomer?

- Low minors, he played 3B 100%. But the last couple years, he bounced around a lot. Of course, his defense at 3B is probably dictating that. But that also could be a source of his hitting fluctuations. Poor defenders being forced to play multiple positions can be a stress point.

Or he could just be struggling against higher competition. ;)

But I'll be happy to take that 258/361/452/813 line he put for Boston in 2014 at 3B or 1B this year.

Great...another guy with limited range and erratic arm to play 3rd.

But this time we found one on the clearance rack! Why does it even matter when we are hoping to lose 90-100 games next season? At least the potential of becoming a serviceable player is still there.

Watched him play 3rd a couple years ago in the AFL...wasn't impressed... Haven't seen him play OF...Hopefully his offense will offset his defense then it may be justified.

That's about the same as what kalle posted. chick-KEE-nee and chick-kinney are essentially the same.

What's predictable is that almost everyone except Coshun will get the pronunciation right.

I guess I took Kalley's as: TCHEK kin ee - where the first syllable is the same as Czechoslovakia. And the second as "kin" (like my relative, my kin).

Maybe Coshun will have company. :)

Yeah, count me ecstatic at the prospect of a guy coming off a sub .600 OPS season at AAA being added to the mix. Watch out Cubs and Cardinals! Maybe playing in Colorado Springs he'll post a .650 OPS.

I haven't been this excited since the Brewers signed Ben Grieve.

Yeah, count me ecstatic at the prospect of a guy coming off a sub .600 OPS season at AAA being added to the mix. Watch out Cubs and Cardinals! Maybe playing in Colorado Springs he'll post a .650 OPS.

The Brewers could play Josh Donaldson at third next year and not come close to making the playoffs. That's not the point with this move.

Cecchini was highly regarded in the very recent past and the Brewers gave up nothing to see if he just had a bad year last year. Maybe he does end up sucking and washing out in AAA. Doesn't matter. The Brewers are in the position to see if he can put it back together. If he does, great. If not, oh well.

Yah people are a wee bit too excited over this. Don't get me wrong glad we got another guy to throw at the wall and hope he sticks, but this isn't anything to get excited about. Glad we will have some guys to stick at 3rd though and SS

The Brewers could play Josh Donaldson at third next year and not come close to making the playoffs. That's not the point with this move.

Cecchini was highly regarded in the very recent past and the Brewers gave up nothing to see if he just had a bad year last year. Maybe he does end up sucking and washing out in AAA. Doesn't matter. The Brewers are in the position to see if he can put it back together. If he does, great. If not, oh well.

Did you not read my post? I'm ecstatic. Seriously, I'm discouraged that the franchise has fallen to the level where this type of signing has all of you so pumped. Only the dregs of baseball take discarded pieces like Cecchini on the hope that maybe what he did most recently was a mirage. He really wasn't very good in 2014 either unless you consider a .712 OPS at AAA good. The trend is your friend and he's trending in the wrong direction.

By the way, I'd like to take Donaldson and test your theory, paired with Arcia on the left side of the infield.

Did you not read my post? I'm ecstatic. Seriously, I'm discouraged that the franchise has fallen to the level where this type of signing has all of you so pumped. Only the dregs of baseball take discarded pieces like Cecchini on the hope that maybe what he did most recently was a mirage. He really wasn't very good in 2014 either unless you consider a .712 OPS at AAA good. The trend is your friend and he's trending in the wrong direction.

By the way, I'd like to take Donaldson and test your theory, paired with Arcia on the left side of the infield.

Speaking of Donaldson, his age 25 season in AAA (in the PCL, no less), he had a .783 OPS. Nothing that screams MVP, as that is a pedestrian OPS in AAA, and especially the PCL.

Then, he went to the majors and put up .687 in half of a season.

How did that Donaldson guy end up doing?

The point is not that I expect Garin to turn into Donaldson - the point is, if you have the right front office and the right situation (nothing to lose, everything to gain, which we have right now)...you can buy low on 10-15 players. Maybe Cecchini flails in AAA and nobody remembers his name in a few years. However, a handful of our acquisitions are going to surprise and return to the potential they had and either be solid MLB players or maybe one will turn into a stud, All Star. And why not? We have absolutely nothing to lose. What the heck else would we do with these roster spots? Go and sign David Freese?

I'm discouraged that the franchise has fallen to the level where this type of signing has all of you so pumped. Only the dregs of baseball take discarded pieces like Cecchini on the hope that maybe what he did most recently was a mirage.

The Brewers are the dregs of baseball in terms of major league talent, like it or not. And you can be negative about Cecchini all you like - there's a good chance that he won't make it. But there is a plausible chance that he will, and this is exactly the type of move the Brewers should be making right now.

You are the only one on the board who thought the Brewers had a chance to be competitive next year. I guess that explains why you've hated every move they've made so far.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I guess I took Kalley's as: TCHEK kin ee - where the first syllable is the same as Czechoslovakia. And the second as "kin" (like my relative, my kin).

Maybe Coshun will have company. :)

Cecchini is a typical touscanian name.

i don't remember fonetics but the italian pron is just like i wrote, not "chic" but "tchek" or czech.

well, hope he's worth all this time..

tutorial:

You are the only one on the board who thought the Brewers had a chance to be competitive next year. I guess that explains why you've hated every move they've made so far.

Every year is special.

While I am certainly in the DS is really underwhelming so far camp, lets be fair on a signing like this.

2016 is NOT about the major league roster. At all. If anything, it appears that DS is aggressively trying very hard for the first pick in the 2017 draft to pair with the 2016 draft class.

This signing is just to fill an empty slot at 3B cheaply and nothing more. Unlike the "trade" he made yesterday, this didnt cost us any assets and we know Cecchini will play at the major league level, though likely not all that well. If the change of scenery results in him being the OB machine he was in the minors great. If not who cares?

For most of us hard core Brewers Fans, we will be all about the minor league forum because the major league one will be very depressing.

Seriously, I'm discouraged that the franchise has fallen to the level where this type of signing has all of you so pumped. Only the dregs of baseball take discarded pieces like Cecchini on the hope that maybe what he did most recently was a mirage.

I'm not sure if this is a Wisconsin type thing or not, but no matter the circumstances of the MLB talent, we have always gotten excited about the possibility of getting a player on the cheap and getting him to reach his peak.

- Scotty Po

- Casey McGehee

- Fernando Vina

Plus, I think the amount of moves right now has us all in a frenzy with a lot of board visits per day.

Archived