Brewer Fanatic

Major League Rule 5 Selection: RHP Zack Jones (Twins); Latest: Jones returned to Twins 6/19

ewitkows
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Regarding players and pensions/benefits, they get lifetime health insurance by just appearing in a major league game.

They don't get a pension, however, until they have 43 days of service. Once they reach 43 days of service, they get a $34,000 annual pension (that they can start collecting at age 62) that can increase up to over $100,000 based on how long they spend in the league.

Here's a great article about Junior Guerra that talks about this very thing:

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2016/5/23/11743884/for-fringe-big-leaguers-43-days-of-service-time-is-an-important-threshold

You wonder why some guys might stick things out in the minors for so long? It might be simply to reach that 43 day threshold.

A guy like Nevin Ashley - who was with the Brewers last fall - get in 27 days of ML service. He'll be 32 in August, but he's got to be praying to get a call up at some point - just get in 16 more days of service - it'll be a huge thing for his retirement because it's not like he's raking it money as a minor leaguer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That health insurance for life probably trumps the $34,000 pension. I assume it is a high deductible plan, and may be a bare bones type of deal since it would have to cover nationwide - but probably still nice to bank on.

That health insurance for life probably trumps the $34,000 pension. I assume it is a high deductible plan, and may be a bare bones type of deal since it would have to cover nationwide - but probably still nice to bank on.

You take the free health insurance, I'll take a $34,000 per year pension and figure out my own insurance. :) Especially when I'd only be 3 years from qualifying for Medicare.

Although they'd still have that insurance gap til that time after retirement, so I'm sure the health insurance is very meaningful, but I'd be curious to know it's real value. There are plans out there today that are virtually worthless other than fulfilling the legal requirement of insurance, but I doubt this would be one of them.

You take the free health insurance, I'll take a $34,000 per year pension and figure out my own insurance. :) Especially when I'd only be 3 years from qualifying for Medicare.

Although they'd still have that insurance gap til that time after retirement, so I'm sure the health insurance is very meaningful, but I'd be curious to know it's real value. There are plans out there today that are virtually worthless other than fulfilling the legal requirement of insurance, but I doubt this would be one of them.

Except the pension doesn't start paying until age 62 (I think). Do you really think $34,000 annual at age 62 trumps health insurance for 40 years? I don't. Unless Bernie Sanders somehow gets elected president.

Except the pension doesn't start paying until age 62 (I think). Do you really think $34,000 annual at age 62 trumps health insurance for 40 years? I don't. Unless Bernie Sanders somehow gets elected president.

Again, really depends on the quality of the free insurance.

Archived