Brewer Fanatic

Major League Rule 5 Selection: RHP Zack Jones (Twins); Latest: Jones returned to Twins 6/19

ewitkows

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they got another rule 5 guy, RHP Zack Jones from Minnesota

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jones is a K meister. Career 186Ks in 130IP. Potential back end of the bullpen guy?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Also walks guys...think Twins demoted him mid season to A ball. Not many innings in 4 years though.

yeah definitely a bullpen arm.

Seemed to struggle with command at AA. Maybe his stuff moves a bunch and the more advanced hitters lay off it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Jones is in the Twins top 30 MLB pipeline prospects ranking, so that should make alot of the posters upset about the Lind trade happy

MLB Pipeline has his fastball as a 75 - that's plus-plus and then some. Appears to lack any sort of breaking ball and control is a problem. One great tool though, so he has a chance.

It said Zach Jones earlier; I don't know what happened. My only guess is that it reverted to the old title when I added the transaction posticon. It's fixed now.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Interesting guy. MiLB averages are:

2.83 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 5.7H/9, 5.0BB/9, 12.8K/9 over 4 seasons, but only 130.1 IP.

Is there such a thing as 3TO for pitchers? (except he only gave up 6 HR in 130.1 IP).

As long as he misses bats and throws enough strikes, he might be able to stick in the pen. But if the MLB level can get some hits off him his BB rate will make it unsustainable. I doubt he ever comes in with men on base.

It said Zach Jones earlier; I don't know what happened. My only guess is that it reverted to the old title when I added the transaction posticon. It's fixed now.

Casey, I was in the midst of splitting the thread for Walsh and Jones into two.

By the way, it's Zack with a "k" (like Greinke), confirmed by the significant other on Twitter.

Jones is in the Twins top 30 MLB pipeline prospects ranking, so that should make alot of the posters upset about the Lind trade happy

I had to check to see if they put Jones in the Brewers top 30 and bumped Ponce out, thankfully they did not.

Jones is intriguing. Reminding me a little bit of Derrick Turnbow. :)

That's a good thing???

Guess you don't remember when he was likes out & exciting until he flamed out....crashed burned. If Jones can give us at least 1 year like Turnbow had before his collapse, that is a huge win for a rule 5 pick

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Jones is intriguing. Reminding me a little bit of Derrick Turnbow. :)

That's a good thing???

Guess you don't remember when he was likes out & exciting until he flamed out....crashed burned. If Jones can give us at least 1 year like Turnbow had before his collapse, that is a huge win for a rule 5 pick

If the lights out happens in 2016 or 2017 in a year where the team isn't competing for anything and the flame out happens during a playoff run, is it really a win though?

If the lights out happens in 2016 or 2017 in a year where the team isn't competing for anything and the flame out happens during a playoff run, is it really a win though?

If the lights out is in 2016-2017, you have the option to flip him for help elsewhere. Let somebody else deal with the flameout, or the big money in arbitration/free agency.

If the lights out is in 2016-2017, you have the option to flip him for help elsewhere. Let somebody else deal with the flameout, or the big money in arbitration/free agency.

I would agree that flipping him would be a good idea but would Stearns really trade a good, young, cheap relief pitcher just as the team is becoming competitive? I don't know. The Astros bullpen is pretty much built with free agents and trades. The Brewers have historically botched it with their flash in the pan relievers holding on to Turnbow, Axford, and Henderson too long. Kolb was the only one they got anything for and Cappellan was a failure in his own right.

Procedural question, I know any team can claim him for their 25 roster if we elect to send him back to the Twins, but Iif the Brewers can work out a deal with the Twins to maintain his rights, can they option him (while staying on the 40 man roster) without needing to clear everyone's 25 man roster?

Archived