Brewer Fanatic

Major League Rule 5 Selection: 2B/OF Colin Walsh (Athletics); Latest: DFA'd on May 31st

Mass Haas
It also gives them a lot more money.

If only $507,500 lasted forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That can last a long long time especially if you actually get a job. I have no pity for anyone who can make that in a year. I guess what I am saying is "hurt" is a relative term. It isn't like these guys never get another shot at the minors.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That can last a long long time especially if you actually get a job. I have no pity for anyone who can make that in a year. I guess what I am saying is "hurt" is a relative term. It isn't like these guys never get another shot at the minors.

Understood. My point was more from a development perspective though. Sure the guy wants to be in the Majors but he's not ready and you're doing any potential success no favors by forcing it.

Well sure but if he was a Rule 5 he probably already had 6 years to develop if he was decent to begin with. You get the year the guy is drafted plus 3 years before they need to be put on the 40-man then 3 option years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Understood. My point was more from a development perspective though. Sure the guy wants to be in the Majors but he's not ready and you're doing any potential success no favors by forcing it.

Kinda a hard thing. The point of Rule 5 selections is a Team gives them ML time opposed to that player being in the minors another year. Generally they are to have reached the ML level by now. So that pick is getting his ML time that he should have reached already. It keeps teams from stocking the farm and keeping ML potentials from remaining in the minors.

So yes their salary is a huge bonus for players that most likely have a career as a 24/25th man on a ML team.

Seattle drafted Fernando Vina from the Mets and after 45 at-bats gave him back. Shane Victorino was drafted by the Padres from Dodgers then returned to Dodgers in May. Miguel Batista was taken by the Pirates from Expos and returned to Expos in April. It is way too early to give up on any player even if he isn't going to be Johan Santana or Josh Hamilton type picks.

Vina was 24. Victorino was 22. Walsh will be 27 in September. It's quite possible that Oakland will pass on taking him back. With Villar and Perez both younger, no reason to carry a guy heading into his later 20's who hasn't given any indication he can hit major league pitching.through more than 60 plate appearances.

Seattle drafted Fernando Vina from the Mets and after 45 at-bats gave him back. Shane Victorino was drafted by the Padres from Dodgers then returned to Dodgers in May. Miguel Batista was taken by the Pirates from Expos and returned to Expos in April. It is way too early to give up on any player even if he isn't going to be Johan Santana or Josh Hamilton type picks.

Vina was 24. Victorino was 22. Walsh will be 27 in September. It's quite possible that Oakland will pass on taking him back. With Villar and Perez both younger, no reason to carry a guy heading into his later 20's who hasn't given any indication he can hit major league pitching.through more than 60 plate appearances.

The Brewers have 3 player on their active roster who are hitting below .100 in Madly, Walsh, and Broxton.

We get Maldy because he is a back up catcher and he is what he is. There is no reason for the other two if they are supposed to be major league caliber.

The glass half empty is neither player matters and I doubt Oakland would even want Walsh back at this point. The glass half full is they arent really blocking anyone and maybe they catch lighting with these older players maybe figuring it out at some point?

Oakland would take him back. They can throw him back in the minor leagues at that point. Little risk.

Who cares IF they do? He is a 26 year old guy who doesn't field well and doesn't swing the bat. He is essentially a pitcher who doesn't pitch. While I agree there is no risk in Oakland taking him back, I dont see much reward either, though I havent checked out their minor league rosters to see who he would displace.

They didnt put him on the 40 man and exposed him to the rule 5 for a reason though.

There is no reason for the other two if they are supposed to be major league caliber.

Broxton and Walsh are two different situations.

We would lose Walsh if we tried to send him down. The question is whether the team wants to stick with him through his struggles to see if he can figure things out, and at least to this point, they like him enough to keep him. He needs to hit better, but at least he is providing some value as a bench player who can back up a couple of positions and get on base when he's needed as a pinch hitter.

Broxton was completely lost at the plate, so he got sent down. He destroyed AAA pitching, and deserved to be brought back up. Now we will see if he got things straightened out and can perform at the MLB level. Lots of prospects bounce up and down before they finally stick, so while I wish he were hitting better, I don't have any problem with the way he has been handled. If nothing else, he provides a good defensive upgrade late in games, so like Walsh he can provide some value even in a bench role.

We have the roster spots, and the 24/25 man generally aren't relied upon to be stars. These guys are getting try-outs to see if either of them have a future with the team, and at the moment they are our best options options to put there, so let them keep their current roles and see if either can step up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

at this point if you could only keep one, would you keep Walsh or Orf?

A decision that Stearns will have to make after the season as I doubt they will have room for both on the 40 man. If Stearns does offer Walsh back then that may be good news for Orf.

Walsh is also bad defensively. Not ideal for a UT player. I think the experiment is over. Rivera still has a higher upside, even Orf. They have enough AAAA infielders, don't need Walsh. With that said, there's no panic yet as long as he isn't starting and taking ABs away from Villar, Perez, etc.

Oakland would take him back. They can throw him back in the minor leagues at that point. Little risk.

Who cares IF they do? He is a 26 year old guy who doesn't field well and doesn't swing the bat. He is essentially a pitcher who doesn't pitch. While I agree there is no risk in Oakland taking him back, I dont see much reward either, though I havent checked out their minor league rosters to see who he would displace.

They didnt put him on the 40 man and exposed him to the rule 5 for a reason though.

Didn't say I did care. (I don't)

With Colin's designation, we'll close this topic and refer any discussion to this one:

Brewers Claim RHP Neil Ramirez from Cubs; Walsh DFA'd

Feel free to use that topic to continue any discussion from this thread.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived