Brewer Fanatic

Major League Rule 5 Selection: 2B/OF Colin Walsh (Athletics); Latest: DFA'd on May 31st

Mass Haas
It's hard to say Perez is better offensively. Walsh hasn't been good, but he's thrived in the most important batting category. Perez hasn't done much well in MLB

Perez was raking at AAA. .339 avg. .834 OPS. MLB He's batting .280 and doesn't strike out on a consistent basis like Walsh. It's a no brainer. Unfortunately, Brewers will send down Rivera or Perez when Scooter comes back and keep Walsh.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's hard to say Perez is better offensively. Walsh hasn't been good, but he's thrived in the most important batting category. Perez hasn't done much well in MLB

Perez was raking at AAA. .339 avg. .834 OPS. MLB He's batting .280 and doesn't strike out on a consistent basis like Walsh. It's a no brainer. Unfortunately, Brewers will send down Rivera or Perez when Scooter comes back and keep Walsh.

Ok, so with that piece of statistical evidence, find me a projection system that favors Perez offensively the rest of the season over Walsh? Its understandable they'd be skeptical of 64 at bats in an extreme offensive environment of a guy who has struck out 10x more than he's walked in his career. Now there is variability in projection systems and certainly a reasonable probability that Perez outperforms Walsh going forward. Its certainly not a "no brainer" though and the only way to find out is to continue to let them play it out and let one emerge as the better option.

I watched the game tonight as well as other games. Who cares about projections, its non relevant information. Factual performance is what gets you an every day job. Every opportunity Perez gets he performs, Walsh not so much. Plate approach by Perez is far and above that of Walsh. Perez is starting to figure things out unlike Walsh. Nobody projected Perez would start taking walks and hitting.

I watched the game tonight as well as other games. Who cares about projections, its non relevant information. Factual performance is what gets you an every day job. Every opportunity Perez gets he performs, Walsh not so much. Plate approach by Perez is far and above that of Walsh. Perez is starting to figure things out unlike Walsh. Nobody projected Perez would start taking walks and hitting.

So pretty sure Perez has walked more tonight than he did all last season! You know if is taking walks, I think he will hit for enough average to earn a big role. My issue has always been that he liked to keep OBP nearly equal to his BA.... I'm dead set against that because if I guy is slumping, he needs to still be able to contribute somehow (walk). Love the approach since coming up.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I watched the game tonight as well as other games.

Ok, that will help get the Brewers better ratings which in turn will get us a better TV contract and more revenue. But ultimately its 1 game of 162.

Who cares about projections, its non relevant information.

Id be willing to bet every team in baseball has a statistical projection system now that Amaro is no longer a GM. Seems reasonable predicting future performance off of past events and similarity comparisons as an input to decision making. Probably why every team in baseball passed on Perez over the winter.

Factual performance is what gets you an every day job.

You mean like the factual performance of Perez as a career 50 wRC+ hitter?

Every opportunity Perez gets he performs, Walsh not so much. Plate approach by Perez is far and above that of Walsh. Perez is starting to figure things out unlike Walsh.

I guess we'll find out. I acknowledged there is a reasonable probability that Perez is a better player than his projections of 68-72 wRC+ going forward. However, sometimes players just get hot. Yuni B once hit 6 home runs in a month. He quickly regressed into the player he always was.

Nobody projected Perez would start taking walks and hitting.

Sure, Perez taking 3 walks tonight was an unlikely event. Just like Bartolo Colon hitting a home run. Neither is likely happen the next time at this point.

Right now, I'd send Rivera to AAA when Gennett comes back in order for him to get things together. While his future is probably as a utility man, he could use more time in the minors. We don't know what the future will hold, and we may be happy we have extra guys if someone else gets hurt, or if someone gets traded. I still think Hill will not be a Brewer in the second half of the season, and that will leave some PAs for guys like Perez and Walsh, allowing for them to show one way or another whether they will have a future with the Brewers.

That seems like the best option. Rivera has options, Walsh is Rule V, and Perez doesn't.

Perez, Walsh, and Rivera all profile as backups. One does everything ok, except struggles with OBP. One is sub-par everywhere, but thrives with OBP and is a switch-hitter. The last is a defensive whiz but does little else. In a perfect world we send down someone with options (likely Rivera..can't recall if Perez has any) and keep all three, as they all have some value.

Walsh has a .437OPS with a .315 OB! He's slugging .122 lower than Jimmy Nelson and Taylor Jungmann. So he's a very good pitcher holding a bat who takes walks. He's got 55days to reach 90. Which is probably 49-50games? The only thing I can say is, does anyone think his approach has led to part of the resurgence in players taking BBs? Seeing as the team is so improved in BB rate vs last season? I know I mentioned his walk ability rubbing off on other players on the team does make for a solid reason to have him on the 25man. But, is he any of the reason, or guys like Santana,Carter, and Villar themselves more the reason?

Interesting that in the Journal Sentinel the poll for the day is about Colin Walsh. As of now, 77 percent say give him back to Oakland. He is a rule 5 player, and can't be placed anywhere but on the everyday roster or goes back to Oakland for ALMOST nothing. I think he has had enough of a chance to show if he has potential, and other than getting walks, he doesn't show me much.

I don't really see the rush, unless they really need a shortstop who do you want to replace him at this point? I guess if they try give Villar a day off and Perez is absolutely brutal then they might have to make the move.

Yea I don't understand wanting to return Walsh. He has showed he can get on base and it isn't like we have someone knocking on the door that he is blocking

He's doing the one thing people have been clamoring for with the new regime, he gets on base. Yet after 60 at bats or whatever it is, that's not good enough to have a longer look for those same people. Dumbfounded on this one. People wanted patience, a count worker, etc... If this guy hits even the slightest he could be a real asset.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Look I don't care what they do with Walsh...because honestly it doesn't matter in a lost year. However, I don't even know what we have in Walsh because he hardly ever swings at the ball and even when he does it looks like he isn't just trying to foul them off. I would hope this is not what he did in the minors. If it is I don't think he will ever find success at the major league level. That approach is never going to work. Walks are good to a point, but you can't just be looking for them every at-bat.

I wouldn't send him back since, like some have said, there really is no need to. Let him hit .095 the entire year. If they think he has some potential then more power to the Brewers.

Most Rule 5 picks are not stars in the making. But you look for skills--hard throwers, defenders, etc. If over time he can learn to even by a .200 hitter, and his defense makes progress, he could be a very valuable and versatile bench piece.

I hope this organization is not tanking this season to develop bench players! Better players could be using those valuable at bats, instead, those players are in other places waiting their turn. That is lost opportunities for potential major contributors, not bench players. We can always pick up a bench player off the scrap heap.

Seattle drafted Fernando Vina from the Mets and after 45 at-bats gave him back. Shane Victorino was drafted by the Padres from Dodgers then returned to Dodgers in May. Miguel Batista was taken by the Pirates from Expos and returned to Expos in April. It is way too early to give up on any player even if he isn't going to be Johan Santana or Josh Hamilton type picks.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

We can always pick up a bench player off the scrap heap.

it depends on one's interpretation of it, but many would consider a "scrap heap" player to be a player out of minor league options (i.e. alex presley, hernan perez, ramon flores, kirk nieuwenhuis). such players are often given priority over more talented players with minor league options--which sometimes handicaps a team.

if walsh is kept all season, he can be optioned back and forth in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rule 5 Draft needs to be tweaked. The players drafted have their careers hurt by being forced to stay in the Majors all year. At minimum it puts them a year behind on development at worst it completely destroys their confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived