Brewer Fanatic

Major League Rule 5 Selection: 2B/OF Colin Walsh (Athletics); Latest: DFA'd on May 31st

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
what about the PTBNL for Cotts

Manny Piña, C

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manny Piña, C

He was the PTBNL for K-Rod.

Cotts, K-Rod....same thing. :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Serious question, are the Brewers turning into the A's?

We're turning into something. We're certainly not the Doug Melvin Brewers anymore. And as far as I'm concerned, that's a really good thing.

As has been discussed before, (many many times) Moneyball isn't about identifying players that take a lot of walks, it's about identifying market inequalities, identifying undervalued attributes, and finding players who can produce positive win value at reduced cost.

Is Stearns doing that? It's way, way, WAY too early to tell..... but it at least looks like that's the trend in the players he's picking up. High OBP guys. Guys that can field multiple positions. We won't have a ton of power (Braun, Davis.....a little from Lucroy?) but should do a lot better in the OBP category, depending on how much more roster building he does.

So this roster is planning on having two rule 5 guys on it?

If I had to guess I'd say only Walsh makes the roster.

It's certainly possible, if Walsh hits and Jones finds some command, to keep both on the roster.

The more I check out Walsh, the more I feel like he could be like Dan Uggla. Uggla was a rule 5 pick by the Marlins and went on to make the All-Star team and have several productive seasons. I don't see Walsh as the same type of hitter, but Walsh feels like a guy with offensive skills who maybe doesn't play the best defense. If he hits enough he could provide a lot of value, much like Uggla did early in his career. I love guys who get on base (man-crush on Joey Votto), if Walsh can translate those skills to the majors he could be a solid player even if he doesn't have much of a glove.

August 31st -- Just passing through: Colin Walsh conquers Midland, eyes MLB

Really enjoyed this article. Appears to be a smart guy with an understanding of what he is doing at the plate and why. I can see him having a decent career. Would be nice to stick it to the Cardinals as well after they released him.

Really enjoyed this article. Appears to be a smart guy with an understanding of what he is doing at the plate and why. I can see him having a decent career. Would be nice to stick it to the Cardinals as well after they released him.

wow. masters in engineering from Stanford. Smart dude.

wow. masters in engineering from Stanford. Smart dude.

Screw the field. Put him in the front office.

"To me, a strikeout is a groundout," he contended. "I would rather take a close pitch for strike three than swing at a ball where the pitcher did not make his pitch. I have no problem going down 0-2, working from there. I hit with two strikes a lot and it's part of the reason I have a lot of strikeouts, but it's also the reason I have a lot of walks. I'm not afraid to strike out on a pitch I think is a ball."

Very cool approach and sounds somewhat like what Domingo Santana has as an approach.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 3 months later...

Will be interesting. He's had plenty of development time with over 2,500 professional AB's. Maybe he can be one of those types the Cardinals seem to come up with every year. Would be ironic since he was originally in their system. I'd hate to see him used only as platoon partner at 2B. That kind of negates the value of a switch hitter. I'd like to see him get time at 3B against RHP. Fine with Hill starting some at 3B but he'd be the guy who might do most of his playing in platoon at 2B. Brewers can use another lefty bat in the lineup.

Despite his strong offensive spring, Yadiel could be in a bit over his head, but with Villar struggling in Arizona, might as well let them split the work at SS.

Agree that Walsh shouldn't be relegated to pinch hitting. He needs to play as he can hit and will get on base - should spend enough time at 2b and 3b to get plenty of ABs on the year but should be the main platoon guy with Scooter. Rivera and Villar solely splitting time stunts their development, specifically Rivera who can be a solid regular due to his excellent defense. They need to play every day or get 400 ABs between playing several different spots. If that doesn't happen Villar stays at SS and Rivera at 2b in AAA - at least that's what I'd do. But I can easily see Rivera making the team as he's earned a spot based on performance. If that happens then I can see Walsh/Flores being top bats off the bench to get on base whereas Rivera mainly there to fill in at all 3 IF spots to get his PT with Walsh working in here and there in the field

Will be interesting. He's had plenty of development time with over 2,500 professional AB's. Maybe he can be one of those types the Cardinals seem to come up with every year. Would be ironic since he was originally in their system. I'd hate to see him used only as platoon partner at 2B. That kind of negates the value of a switch hitter. I'd like to see him get time at 3B against RHP. Fine with Hill starting some at 3B but he'd be the guy who might do most of his playing in platoon at 2B. Brewers can use another lefty bat in the lineup.

Despite his strong offensive spring, Yadiel could be in a bit over his head, but with Villar struggling in Arizona, might as well let them split the work at SS.

I think this is all pretty spot on.

Let's see if Walsh can translate his OB skills to the big leagues - play some 2B in the platoon, get in at 3B, pinch hit, etc.

I'm skeptical Rivera has suddenly figured out how to hit, but what the heck. Let's see what happens.

I think this is all pretty spot on.

Let's see if Walsh can translate his OB skills to the big leagues - play some 2B in the platoon, get in at 3B, pinch hit, etc.

I'm skeptical Rivera has suddenly figured out how to hit, but what the heck. Let's see what happens.

I saw him play a bunch this spring and something looks different. Guy actually has some pop in his bat and hits the ball hard.

That said, I'm a little worried that sparse playing time could be rough on him.

He sure looked rough at 2b today 3 Es all routine ground balls , I know it's just one day but just saying glove was aufull today.

Not exactly a great way to celebrate making a major league roster for the first time. His defense in the minors (.965 FP at 2B; .908 at 3B) suggest defense isn't a strength though he was better last year (.982) though you'd expect improvement from a guy in his mid 20's. It'll be very interesting to see how he does. He obviously has exceptional eye and discipline at the plate, but now he'll be facing major league pitching exclusively. Nobody had more patience and a better eye than George Kotarras but that only has taken him so far.

Bad day, anyone who has played baseball or even bar league softball has had them. You make that first error it bugs, your upset at yourself and press a little more....you make that 2nd error in the same inning, you really start to get mad at yourself and frustrated... Then a 3rd one happens. As a MLB player you need to be more mentally tough but those days will still happen. Same goes with offense. There will be days were great contact hitters K 3 or 4 times. Not worried. He will be coming off bench and/or short end of platoon, his defense will not hurt him to much. 3B maybe since he hasn't played there much but honestly...look at some of the guys we have played over there recently. Jason Rogers couldn't field or throw a ball and still was getting starts.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I thought I read that the Brewers would 'continue to work on Walsh's defense' or something like that. Not sure if that meant he wasn't that good, or that the club wanted him working other positions and he needs to improve in those places.

Sorry I don't recall the source. Might have been JSonline.

Archived