Brewer Fanatic

Major League Rule 5 Selection: 2B/OF Colin Walsh (Athletics); Latest: DFA'd on May 31st

Mass Haas

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Kind of on the old side but an intriguing player. Gets on base a TON (career .395 OBP) and has shown power in the past (slugged .470 last year). But seems like he's been really up and down stats wise. Maybe he's been playing hurt?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The more I read about Walsh the more excited I get. Be interested to see a scouting report on him.

Edit: And he's a switch hitter? Wow.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Scooter best be opening up his own pottery studio.

I wouldn't be too worried if I'm Scooter that a guy who's already 26 (Scooter's 25) and barely has any experience above AA is going to take my job. For all we know they drafted Walsh to play 1B or 3B.

True. As long as he remains inexpensive, Scooter's roster spot for 2016 should be safe, but they do seem to be cycling through a lot of infielders. And he really hasn't shown that he is a major league regular. With arbitration in 2017, this might be his last chance.

I wouldn't be too worried if I'm Scooter that a guy who's already 26 (Scooter's 25) and barely has any experience above AA is going to take my job. For all we know they drafted Walsh to play 1B or 3B.

I bet Walsh had more walks last year than Scooter has had in his entire MLB career.

I bet Walsh had more walks last year than Scooter has had in his entire MLB career.

You are correct and its not even close (44 BB for his career).

Yeah, with only 15 position players at the moment and Segura being shopped around Scooter appear safe. However, Villar and Walsh can't be sent down so if push comes to shove Gennett may be sent packing to Colorado at some point during the season since he only plays second.

I wish we could find a sucker for Scooter. Send him off to somewhere else and get a fringe prospect in return.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

My guess is that any Rule 5 selection will be slated to come off the bench (or BP for pitchers). So Walsh will probably compete for playing time at 2B/3B, but I doubt anyone expects him to start (i.e. he will have to earn it).

Does the "OF" part of 2B/OF mean he can play CF?

Also, I think Walsh will have a good opportunity to get some ABs against lefties. Even with his stats coming against minor league pitching, he's gotta be a better option than Scooter there.

Colin Walsh vs. LHP

2015: 120 ABs, 4 HRs, 49 BBs, .308/.512/.450/.962

Scooter Gennett vs. LHP

2013-2015: 113 ABs, 0 HRs, 1 BB, .124/.147/.150/.297

Walsh is an interesting player. 52 extra base hits, a .447 OBP. The 124 walks is sort of insane. People just don't do that very often anymore. I'm a sucker for guys who get on base.

He's a switch hitter without any real split issues, which is nice to see. We'll see about defense. If it's average, you could have someone pretty interesting as he could be a candidate to play 3B or 2B.

This Walsh guy will get every opportunity to prove he can play otherwise there was no reason to select him. Pretty tough to just throw someone on the bench and never play in the national league. Brings versatility (I think we'll be seeing a lot of this in the Stearns/Counsell regime) and gets on base. Hopefully his defense is up to par in at least one position and we might have ourselves a little something.

Hopefully we are building a team that thoroughly annoys other teams pitchers because they just don't strike out, put the ball in play, and walk... a lot.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Doesn't look like it. Games started by position in minors:

2B - 332 GS

LF - 76 GS

3B - 58 GS

SS - 2 GS

Baseball Reference reports Walsh played three games at second, one in left, and 11 in right.

The total (counting the AFL) is actually:

2B: 335

LF: 77

3B: 58

RF: 11

SS: 2

Doesn't look like it. Games started by position in minors:

2B - 332 GS

LF - 76 GS

3B - 58 GS

SS - 2 GS

Thanks. I just looked into that myself. So some possibility at 3B, but not really much experience there either.

This Walsh guy will get every opportunity to prove he can play otherwise there was no reason to select him. Pretty tough to just throw someone on the bench and never play in the national league.

No disagreement there. But "opportunity" and "Scooter pack your bags" are two different things.

And be careful quoting Scooter's numbers at the MLB level in comparison to Walsh's at AA. Walsh is a year older and Scooter's numbers in the MiLB level were very good too (save for the walks).

I'm not a Scooter apologist, but I don't think its realistic to just assume Walsh will take his job. Lots of Rule 5 guys falter and are sent back. Oakland just traded away Lawrie at 2B, but still didn't protect this guy on the 40 man.

Scooter probably should pay attention to his OBP more than worry about Walsh being handed his job.

Archived