Brewer Fanatic

Cheap 1B options

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we go to the Houston well again? I was reading up on AJ Reed but came across Tyler White. Maybe he could end up a Kevin Youkilis type. Doesn't sound very athletic but he's played 3rd so maybe he'd have some versatility as well.

I just don't want a veteran retread. I don't see the value in that. Alvarez has been brought up numerous times and each time I ask myself why. I think it's a grand delusion thinking he'll create enough value to return anything at the deadline. There's not a line for him now and there won't be then.

Seriously, why even try to "fill" the first base spot with anybody but our 1B of the future? We probably won't find him this offseason so just fill in anybody to play there, like our 4th OF or backup catcher. We seem to not be trying to compete for a playoff spot this year; otherwise there would be no reason to practically give away Krod and Lind for lottery tickets in 2020.

Get our longterm guy or fill in with some cheap parts. Pedro Alvarez should not be an option. Otherwise, why get rid of Lind?

We've talked about this before, but wasn't his problem at 3b more his arm than his feet? He has said he'd play anywhere but 3b -- which is hyperbole, but it suggests he'd be willing to move, and 1b is the only plausible move for him.

I care about this issue more if a lot of our OF prospects pan out, and we'll learn a lot more about that this season. Brew4U is of course right that the young guys haven't proven anything in the majors, but that fact doesn't add much to the discussion; you certainly don't ignore prospects when you're making a medium- or long-term plan, especially when you have so many in the pipeline.

Bottom line: IF keeping Braun in the OF ends up diminishing the value of our young OFs, and / or requires us to spend useful assets to fill 1b, and IF Braun can play a decent 1b, then I think he should move there. We'll know more about the first two things as time passes; we'll never know about the third unless they try it (or say why they aren't trying it).

I thought Braun's problem on defense was pretty much everything. Poor throws, poor fielding, and bad instincts. At least in the OF he can use his athleticism to make up for his poor instincts.

At this point I would keep him in the OF because I think he should never be in the infield. More importantly I think 1B would be more wear and tear on his body. Ge has had core problems for years now. I wouldn't want gim doing all the reaching and constant bending a 1B has to do.

It really sucks that we have so much OF talent.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

With Hosmer & Kendrys locked in at 1B & DH for the Royals I'd see what they want for Balbino Fuenmayor.

Didn't we pass on him in the Rule 5 draft?

We did. I'm guessing one of the main reasons he wasn't picked by anyone (besides his limited track record of success) is that he tore his ACL towards the end of the minor league season. I was more throwing his name out there as a possibility for a low cost acquisition with possible upside that is blocked at the major league level.

Other than CC telling people that it's not an option I don't think you're going to get an explanation. Maybe he doesnt want to make yet another position change? Maybe he's no good there? Who knows. I guess does it really matter? It's just not happening now. (Or maybe ever.)

I guess I'd like to know mostly for curiosity's sake, since it would seemingly solve the outfield crowding and 1B opening with one move that also wouldn't cost anything. Plus Braun in the OF will get worse as he ages. With that much sense in the surface, it would be interesting to hear the reason that option won't be done.

What if he's as terrible at 1B as he was 3B? Now our best hitter on the team also loses value. Also, I don't know if I believe in this "logjam" in the OF like most. Davis is as good as gone when they find a team in the AL that wants a bat. Guys like Santana, Reed, Phillips and the rest haven't proven a lick. Where he needs to be is back in LF where he belongs.

I wouldn't assume Davis is gone yet. Not that I would be against trading him, but it's not a certainty. Plus, while there may not be a logjam in April, how do younger outfielders get to prove themselves unless spots open up in the bigs? With Broxton, Phillips, Roache ,Coulter, Santana, Reed, and Wren all ready or close to ready, there needs to be more than just CF open by late 2016.

If I had to guess, I could see someone like Adam Laroche being traded to the Brewers. He had a terrible year last season, but could reestablish in Milwaukee. Hearing he is available.

If they could get Sox to take Garza that would be great. Sox may eventually just release LaRoche making him available for minimum too. Speaking of minimum, Indians released Chris Johnson who had a year left on his deal. He'd make a decent fill in for the AB's that would have gone to Rogers. Johnson is a lifetime .314 hitter vs. LHP. LaRoche was awful last year but he was a lot less awful vs. RHP.

Jaso got only 2/8 to platoon at 1B For PIT. Too bad ehenBrewers would pay a little more to have his OBP, which would make a good trade piece. F defense was the problem (which yes it would be a legit issue with him) then they better not sign Alvarez

It really sucks that we have so much OF talent.

I'm just glad we have enough talent at at least one position to have a logjam of talent.

That has not always been the case in Milwaukee.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If I had to guess, I could see someone like Adam Laroche being traded to the Brewers. He had a terrible year last season, but could reestablish in Milwaukee. Hearing he is available.

Sign me up for trading for LaRoche if the White Sox are willing to throw in a solid prospect for us to eat his salary. Maybe LaRoche and Jordan Guerrero for David Goforth. Otherwise we could increase our haul by giving them a proven reliever like Jeffress and asking for Michalczewski instead of Guerrero. Either way, I am willing to take on bad contracts to add more quality prospects to our system.

I'd love for Stearns to, in his first offseason, be able to find a young, high-upside answer for every position in which we have a question mark. However, I also think this is not possible. Because of this, I have no problem if we sign a veteran to a short-term deal to fill a couple of positions until the long-term answers arise.

If we can find our 1B of the future in the Lucroy trade or elsewhere, that's great. If not, I'd rather see someone like Alvarez or Morneau on a low-cost, one-year deal than see us put a AAA "never will be" at first all year. We should not do a 3-4 year deal, but for a year... why not?

A Melvin move this offseason would have been to use our trade chips to target a "MLB ready" 1B. I think Stearns is more likely to nab a higher upside 1B in the low minors, while using free agency to fill the MLB roster with a veteran like Alvarez for the short-term. I hated when the "meh" free agent signing was sold to us as our ticket to the promised land. I'm fine with it when it's filling a position of need with an actual MLB player for a year.

As to the "race to the bottom," I like that we're trading assets to bring more value to the system at the lower levels, as we won't compete this year. I also like that we're targeting the best overall package, which often is going to be filled with guys who are not yet MLB ready. I can't get behind not adding potential value if it is there (like an inexpensive FA 1B) just so we lose more games. You should always look to add value if it's not in some way harming your team (i.e. a long term deal), and there is some merit to having some watchable players on the roster.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

How many offseason's in a row now have we had this same thread?

This is season 5 with no forseeable end to the pattern.

2011: Prince

2012: Hart, Ishikawa, Taylor Green, Gamel, Brooks Conrad

2013: Yuni, Juan Francisco, Sean Halton, Alex Gonzalez, Blake Lalli

2014: Reynolds, Overbay, Clark, Rogers

2015: Lind, Rogers

At least we recognized the problem. That's the first step in correcting it right?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ahh!

The horror! The horror!

Ahh!

The horror! The horror!

"The goggles -- they do nothing!"

It's like the line of also-rans that played QB for the Bears during Favre's GB tenure.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived