Brewer Fanatic

Cheap 1B options

I don't like the idea of signing someone for 1B. Either move Braun there or give Rogers the chance to prove himself. If Rogers shows he can be an everyday guy and the Brewers won't move any OF there to remove the possible crowd there, then try to find something next year. But noes the time to gamble on guys like Rogers to hopefully get great value for cheap

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like the idea of signing someone for 1B. Either move Braun there or give Rogers the chance to prove himself. If Rogers shows he can be an everyday guy and the Brewers won't move any OF there to remove the possible crowd there, then try to find something next year. But noes the time to gamble on guys like Rogers to hopefully get great value for cheap

Rogers is a AAAA player and at best you are looking at a platoon bat. There is nothing more for him to prove he is what he is. I would rather go with someone like Alvarez who if he hits anywhere to what Lind did here you can get a nice prospect or two back at the deadline. Getting additional prospects and a top 10 draft pick is greater than a top 5 pick in the draft.

I can get on board with signing Alvarez thinking we can get him hitting bombs into the short porch in right and then flipping him for a return in July. Hopefully a 1 year deal around $5-7mil outta do it. Maybe add an option year if benchmarks are hit? Let Rogers back up at 1B (start vs. lefties) and pinch hit. Had some success last season doing just that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Rogers is a AAAA player and at best you are looking at a platoon bat. There is nothing more for him to prove he is what he is. I would rather go with someone like Alvarez who if he hits anywhere to what Lind did here you can get a nice prospect or two back at the deadline. Getting additional prospects and a top 10 draft pick is greater than a top 5 pick in the draft.

I get that idea but I'd find a good option for that instead. Alvarez is too putrid defensively for an NL team to get value from him.

Not to mention Rogers had a 120 OPS+ last year and has a 989 OPS in AAA the last 2 years-not exactly Logan Schafer.

We are going to lose 90 games.

Not enough. If we're wanting the #1 pick (or top 3), we've got to lose more. We're competing against the Phillies, Braves and whoever miraculously heads to suckitude this season.

This team is going to lose a lot more than 90 games. None of the pieces we aquired this offseason will be MLB helpful in 2016 and there were meaningful subtractions in KRod and Lind. Not saying we shouldn't have traded them of course. Only that we didn't aquire talent in return that will help the MLB roster anytime soon, if ever.

The MLB goal it would seem is to get another very high draft pick.

Why is Rogers being classified as AAAA and a platoon? I agree he is what he is at this point which very well could be a 20 hr guy with a decent OBP. That's not special as a 1B but I'd take that over signing Alvarez. I don't see much of a platoon split in limited AB's last year. Was that the case in the minors? People want to talk about flipping Alvarez potentially, but wouldn't you rather see what Rogers is? I don't have any faith in him playing well enough to return anything of value. He'll just take up a roster spot and playing time. Maybe Rogers does his best one year Allen Craig impersonation and they are able to move him instead for something of actual value.

You could have Alvarez AND Rogers. Alvarez can play at 3B here and there (yes, I know he's terrible). It's not our money in this case. They'll spend a few bucks to not be an expansion team.

They've clearly never bought into Rogers long-term. Maybe he is/will exceed expectations, but he's got 2-3 years to get plenty of ABs. No harm cycling Alvarez in there to see if you can buy low on him and sell higher.

Rogers could even play some 3B and OF. If he's that good at hitting for more of an extended time, you can carve out a 2017 or 2018 starting 1B role for him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Go Rogers.

1. I just like him - good story - fun to root for.

2. He's got a great smile (my mom told me that - she said he looks like a nice man).

3. Guy won't be great, but he did okay last year, and he's generally improved at each level after a little experience. Trends look good.

4. If he is decent, he's a nice find who is in his prime, and cheap.

5. If he bombs, he helps us get a better pick.

I would rather go with someone like Alvarez who if he hits anywhere to what Lind did here you can get a nice prospect or two back at the deadline.

Did we not already see Alvarez's value? He was non-tendered and I'm sure the Pirates shopped him around before doing so. Granted a team trading for him would have to pay his arbitration price but there's not much need or value for a platoon DH.

Just go with Rogers. If he sucks, higher draft pick. If he doesn't suck, he would bring in more than Alvarez would in a trade if we decide to go that route.

Alvarez actually makes almost too much sense. If it is just a 2 year contract for reasonable money

He's a name player who can help put people in the seats. My 12 year old kid and his friends would all be saying, "whoa, the Brewers signed Alvarez? Cool!!!"

Plus Alvarez is a proven HR hitter. You can platoon him with Rogers. He just might have a great comeback year, too

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I would rather go with someone like Alvarez who if he hits anywhere to what Lind did here you can get a nice prospect or two back at the deadline.

Did we not already see Alvarez's value? He was non-tendered and I'm sure the Pirates shopped him around before doing so. Granted a team trading for him would have to pay his arbitration price but there's not much need or value for a platoon DH.

Just go with Rogers. If he sucks, higher draft pick. If he doesn't suck, he would bring in more than Alvarez would in a trade if we decide to go that route.

Lind was acquired via a guy nearly non-tendered. Lind was once a lower average, higher K guy and has never been good at defense. Maybe we can bring a Lind-esque revival out of Alvarez.

We're going to spend money somewhere for buy/flip candidates

. If the price is right, this isn't a bad spot for it.

Adam Lind was never a high strikeout guy. He had one season where he struck out 140 times, but outside of that only about 100 per season. He also was never a low average guy. Outside that one season, again, he hit .250 in two years, and then well higher than that in the rest of his full seasons. They aren't comparable at all.

I wish I could type this in blue, but I can't, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Corey Hart come back. Yes, he was hurt and terrible the last couple of years, we all know that. But he is available, he'd be dirt cheap and when you look back at his numbers when he was here they were pretty decent. In no way am I saying he is a long term solution, but he is only 33 and at this point could be the very definition of "stopgap". Take a flier on a one year deal. Maybe he gets healthy and hits 265 with 12-15 homers and 40+ RBIs at the break and you flip him for a mid tier prospect. Who knows?

Corey Hart.....

2013- did not play

2014- Was brutal in Seattle

2015- Was brutal in Pittsburg

2016- Brutal in Milwaukee? .... move on people. Yikes.

Oh and he'll be 34 before the season starts.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

2 facts

1) CC said yesterday that moving Braun to 1st won't be considered

2) Rogers is not that much younger than Pedro...nor is his defense all that great either. Both are simply bats

Really if you get him for a good deal, you platoon Pedro and Rogers. Alvarez still is a .750+ OPS guy who usually still at least is on base .310. Alvarez was a top flight talent and still has potential to finally click at the plate. He is still hitting his prime years. Bring him in on a 1-2 year deal, let him raise his stock. He isn't blocking anyone at all. Platoon Rogers and use him as a bench bat where he is like Lenny Harris (pinch hit machine).

Who is he really blocking right now? Who are the young guys he is trying to develop there?

Depth Chart & Ages this season

Rogers 28 MLB

Ramirez 26 (27 in August) AAA

Cooper 25 AA

Sharkey A+ 22

Denson A 21

Perry R+ 20

Valderrey R 19

Cooper may could come up at some point and has a Lyle Overbay ceiling to hit for good average and some doubles. Wouldn't say Pedro would be blocking his, Ramirez, or Rogers. All our other options are at least 3 years away at best. Trade is only real option to bring in someone who could really be considered "blocked"

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Adam Lind was never a high strikeout guy. He had one season where he struck out 140 times, but outside of that only about 100 per season. He also was never a low average guy. Outside that one season, again, he hit .250 in two years, and then well higher than that in the rest of his full seasons. They aren't comparable at all.

You're mostly right about K-rate. I normally cross-check the stats, but I recall the seasons where Lind was so bad that he got sent down as high K seasons. 20% isn't wonderful, but it's not bad for Lind. Sorry about that.

That said, he's had some low average seasons after his breakout in 2009. That's where he became slightly damaged goods. He might have hit .250 instead of Alvarez's .230-.240, but he dipped under .300 a few times with OBP. These are the struggles I'm comparing to Alvarez, even if they're slightly different.

EDIT: Part of the problem was that they gave Lind too many plate appearances vs. LHP. They didn't platoon him yet. Alvarez had that problem as well while they tried to learn if he was not just a platoon hitter.

Just play Rogers at 1B full time. I just don't see the downside, and plenty of upside.

Look at it this way. With all the moves the Brewers have been making in trades, waiver claims, Rule 5, etc., this board would blow up from joy and excitement if we got Rogers from another team. I get he will never be more than adequate defensively, but the guy can hit, has power, and gets on base. What's wrong, other than it would be nice if he was couple years younger?

This is what Jerry Crasnick just tweeted:

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick

#Brewers are casting a wide net in 1B search: Pedro Alvarez, Ike Davis, Steve Pearce, Chris Carter, Daniel Nava among those on radar.

Daniel Nava would be an interesting option as he is a switch hitter that can play 1B and in the OF as well. He is a career .280/.376/.408/.784 against right handed pitching. Another versatile guy for Counsell to plug around the field. Could make for some really interesting lineups next season.

Archived