Brewer Fanatic

Who is next to be traded?

I'll guess Lucory. He has lots of value, and he's not in our long term plans.

True, however our young pitchers are and to have someone as valuable behind the plate mentoring the pitchers throughout the game is invaluable. I don't see Lucroy going anywhere this year to be honest. I would love to see him traded as his value is somewhat high right now, but the perks of having him behind the plate for one more year are too rich. Plus, he could have a monster season this year and increase his trade value even more.

First off how do we even know he is a good leader? It isn't like pitchers excel under him. I just don't see that argument. Brewers can go get a veteran off the scrap heap for $3mil if they insist on giving their pitchers a young catcher

Secondly two years is going to trump one year no matter what. From the "rival executives" source many around the league expect him to bounce back so I doubt his value has fallen much. Right now he is somewhat. a long term piece and next year he is just a one year rental. His value will never be higher than it is now.

And to anyone worried who our next catcher will be just remember 1.5 years ago our farm system was one of the worst in baseball and now it is one of the best.

Agreed. Even if we went with a platoon of Maldy and say Brayan Pena our young pitchers should be in good hands. And if a recall correctly, Lucroy has never really graded out well when it came to his game calling. So of all of the things to worry about if he is traded this should be towards the bottom of the list.

The problem with Maldy is last April and May when Luc was hurt, our team was insanely bad with Maldy behind the dish regularly. It was dreadful. I am not ready for that every day or in a platoon, bless his heart. Backup, yes. Regularly duty gives me pause. That's when we were off the charts, insanely bad.

The problem with Maldy is last April and May when Luc was hurt, our team was insanely bad with Maldy behind the dish regularly. It was dreadful. I am not ready for that every day or in a platoon, bless his heart. Backup, yes. Regularly duty gives me pause. That's when we were off the charts, insanely bad.

If asked if I prefer to have 60 or 70 wins this season, I choose 60. The gains of Luc's improved bat in the lineup don't move the needle enough to matter. In fact, I'd say it negatively affects the future to win the 4-5 extra games with him in over Maldy.

If asked if I prefer to have 60 or 70 wins this season, I choose 60. The gains of Luc's improved bat in the lineup don't move the needle enough to matter. In fact, I'd say it negatively affects the future to win the 4-5 extra games with him in over Maldy.

I think there's still something to finding players who can actually play. So far, what does Maldy provide us? It really hasn't been stable. His job should be in jeopardy this spring.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The problem with Maldy is last April and May when Luc was hurt, our team was insanely bad with Maldy behind the dish regularly.

Last year's team would have been insanely bad with Yogi Berra or Johnny Bench behind the plate. OK, maybe 7 or 8 wins better, still insanely bad, still in 4th place. Just with a worse draft pick in 2016 (!)

Bingo. We have a winner

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Bingo. We have a winner

Bingo is right. Totally agree. But to answer the topic question, I think it may be Davis. However, I think this message board may implode when Davis doesn't get traded for a top 10 or two top 100 prospects. Not saying he's horrible, but a streaky hitter with average fielding skills and a terrible arm does not equate to top prospects coming back.

Bingo. We have a winner

Bingo is right. Totally agree. But to answer the topic question, I think it may be Davis. However, I think this message board may implode when Davis doesn't get traded for a top 10 or two top 100 prospects. Not saying he's horrible, but a streaky hitter with average fielding skills and a terrible arm does not equate to top prospects coming back.

Khris Davis to me is worth a low Top 100 prospect straight up with nothing else in the deal most likely. He is controlled 4 years and one of those being for league minimum. That is a lot of control for 30 homerun power. I think a lot of value will depend on the market when they decide to trade him. If you find a team really motivated to find a LF, looking for power, and/or looking for someone cheap he is going to hold a lot of value. The real question is if there is a team like that out there? Does someone need what Khris Davis supplies?

I think there's still something to finding players who can actually play. So far, what does Maldy provide us? It really hasn't been stable. His job should be in jeopardy this spring.

I think his job is pretty safe. We have no viable guy in the minors and why go pay more more to have a different backup?

I think his job is pretty safe. We have no viable guy in the minors and why go pay more more to have a different backup?

Might be some guys available via waivers that could provide us a better player. Just saying that his job shouldn't be concrete. Keep options open.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'll guess Lucory. He has lots of value, and he's not in our long term plans.

True, however our young pitchers are and to have someone as valuable behind the plate mentoring the pitchers throughout the game is invaluable. I don't see Lucroy going anywhere this year to be honest. I would love to see him traded as his value is somewhat high right now, but the perks of having him behind the plate for one more year are too rich. Plus, he could have a monster season this year and increase his trade value even more.

I know Lucroy is good and all but there isn't a defensive catcher out there that might be close to as good from a game calling perspective. Who really knows how Maldy would do. I get he won't hit, but if we can get a large return, I would trade him

I'm all for rebuilding with young talent but agree to disagree on throwing pure nonsensical guys out there every day like Maldy just to win 60 games. That's not a move that makes sense in pushing a franchise forward in any way. You either want to develop your young pitching so they improve or you need to put out a young catcher who is on the upswing.

What you don't do is put out there someone who just kills you out there and literally offends your fan base. The fan base is not entirely made up of people in Brookfield with season tickets who are on Brewerfan.net in December talking about 19 year old prospects. It also includes the people around the state in places like Oshkosh or Green Bay or Ripon who drives in for a few a games a year with their family and has never heard of this site and may not get this plan. Those fans look at a .180 hitting veteran catcher who kills you out there with no hope and stops coming to the ball park. Those fans then figure out there's other things to do with their time and never come back. This is a business not an academic theory.

Like I said, you put out a player out there everyday who has a purpose for going forward. If you win 60 games organically, then fine. Otherwise, find a prospect who at least has a hope and let him try to develop or play a veteran who can work with a pitching staff and improve the pitchers.

I would think Smith has the second highest trade value on the major league roster behind Lucroy. He really serves no purpose for the Brewers in their current state. I'd like to see him moved. However, a year as the closer or at least co-closer might be needed to really get something worthwhile.

Not to nit pick but I think Jimmy Nelson would be our next most valuable player, then Smith, then Davis, and lastly Jeffress/Peralta to complete the Top 5. Though Nelson is highly unlikely to go anywhere.

Archived