Brewer Fanatic

Who is next to be traded?

I'm laying down my money on Will Smith and Luc staying put.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would bet 51% on Jean Segura and 49% on Jonathan Lucroy.

I think Segura is someone we trade this offseason, but I don't know if that will be in 10minutes or in March. Regarding Lucroy I really could see the right package being put together to get him, but I could easily see him staying put. I went Segura as more likely because I 100% think he will be traded this offseason while I can't say the same for Lucroy.

Outside of them there aren't really obvious candidates. Trading a cheap controllable reliever doesn't make a ton of sense and I don't see a Peralta trade. Nor do I see trading Davis/Braun. All are more than possible though in a total rebuild.

Trading a cheap controllable reliever doesn't make a ton of sense

I don't see how it doesn't make a ton of sense. It makes all the sense in the world. With how much decent relievers cost in free agency, being able to get years of cheap control on one in a trade is probably appealing to a lot of teams.

I'd be shopping Smith, Knebel, Blazek and Jeffress all over, either alone or as part of a package to see what we could get.

Trading a cheap controllable reliever doesn't make a ton of sense

I don't see how it doesn't make a ton of sense. It makes all the sense in the world. With how much decent relievers cost in free agency, being able to get years of cheap control on one in a trade is probably appealing to a lot of teams.

I'd be shopping Smith, Knebel, Blazek and Jeffress all over, either alone or as part of a package to see what we could get.

Doesn't make a ton of sense=doesn't usually happen often.

Also neither is a closer which porbably doesn't help their trade value. Teams want the guys with the closer label on them. I also just don't see the motivation to move either one of them. Maybe Will Smith since he is arby eligible, but teams don't really move guys in those pre arby years unless blown away. I would love to trade them both for a big haul don't get me wrong.

Freeze. We've got some really good assets. Will Smith is a stud. We can't trade him for the mentality we just did for Lind.

Lind was traded for "organizational depth." That's a polite way of saying you have no confident bet and you're hoping one out of three makes the majors some day. We are trying to win IN the majors. Not get guys trying to just get to the majors. Strearns looks like he is using metrics as he seems to be enamored by SO/BB ratio and/or WHIP on three teenagers for an actual, proven professional MLB hitter. Basically, he's hoping one of these three guys optimizes and turns into what, a mediocre major leaguer? None of these guys are electric. There's also a chance none optimize and you just handed said "hitter's hitter" for three guys who never become even a sub par major leaguer, all based on some metrics.

If I am the Mariners, I am laughing hysterically. I got a proven major leaguer for three guys I couldn't care less about. I am helping now, for an immediate need, for a guy who could hit .285, drive in runs, hit 20 dingers. That's real stuff. Not some academic theory of baseball. After what the DBacks and other teams have had to give up in a sellers market, there is probably a rush on the Brewers to see what they can sucker the Brewers into for their 50th best prospect.

Hey Stearns, we will give you our 44th and 47th prospect for Will Smith. FREEZE.

Freeze. We've got some really good assets. Will Smith is a stud. We can't trade him for the mentality we just did for Lind.

Lind was traded for "organizational depth." That's a polite way of saying you have no confident bet and you're hoping one out of three makes the majors some day. We are trying to win IN the majors. Not get guys trying to just get to the majors. Strearns looks like he is using metrics as he seems to be enamored by SO/BB ratio and/or WHIP on three teenagers for an actual, proven professional MLB hitter. Basically, he's hoping one of these three guys optimizes and turns into what, a mediocre major leaguer? None of these guys are electric. There's also a chance none optimize and you just handed said "hitter's hitter" for three guys who never become even a sub par major leaguer, all based on some metrics.

If I am the Mariners, I am laughing hysterically. I got a proven major leaguer for three guys I couldn't care less about. I am helping now, for an immediate need, for a guy who could hit .285, drive in runs, hit 20 dingers. That's real stuff. Not some academic theory of baseball. After what the DBacks and other teams have had to give up in a sellers market, there is probably a rush on the Brewers to see what they can sucker the Brewers into for their 50th best prospect.

Hey Stearns, we will give you our 44th and 47th prospect for Will Smith. FREEZE.

What on earth does this have to do with our discussion about the next person to be traded? We said nothing about who they were being traded for...just who would be traded.

It's possible that Will Smith can be traded later, but why not trade him now? By 2018, when it's still no guarantee we'll be ready to compete, Smith will be on a 2 year, $~12 million dollar contract (total guess on arbitration). Given that Stearns seems to be going longer-term on this build, we're likely talking 2019...in which case, Smith is on a 1-year contract then.

You could get a trade for Smith down the road in 2018 or so...or just enjoy the 1-year contract. Personally, I'd rather trade Smith for a prospect (or collection) right now that will have 6 years of control beginning in 2018/2019 and just use the cost savings to sign a FA reliever if we so choose in 2019 or 2020. Heck, you could even sign Will Smith back!

The thing with Will Smith is that he has enough of a track record maybe in a year or two you could consider an extension with him assuming he is still pitching well. Good lefties in a bullpen don't grow on trees.

Now I am not saying lets sign him to a big extension or to not trade him. All I am really saying is that he could easily be around the next time we compete if we want. It isn't like he is comparable to Lucroy in the fact that if we did extend him down the line we would be overpaying him for his down years. Maybe if we guarantee him some years in arbitration plus some FA years we can get a discount...maybe not I don't know. We shouldn't try to trade Will Smith just because he is starting to make money...at least not on the reason alone. Will Smith is still very cheap and young. If the right offer comes of course you would take it, but if we get some OK offer maybe you pass.

What on earth does this have to do with our discussion about the next person to be traded? We said nothing about who they were being traded for...just who would be traded.

I'm answering the point by saying that I'd like Stearns to re-set everything and calm down on the trades and not do it at all if he's following the Lind philosophy of trades. If he did that package for Lind as a one time-thing, fine. But, if he starts doing that with real assets like Will Smith, who someone mentioned above, that would be an awful move. So, I think I am on point.

I'd argue Lucroy is more valuable than Gomez and Fiers put together, or more valuable than Shelby Miller. We need a GM that goes down those paths of trades. It is do-able based on recent other trades. If Stearns is going to over-rate metrics and going to look for diamonds in the rough buried in someone's system over real projectable physical attributes and talent, then I'd rather he sit tight and not move consequence. I am not comfortable right now with the 30 year old kid holding real assets in his hand.

I'm answering the point by saying that I'd like Stearns to re-set everything and calm down on the trades and not do it at all if he's following the Lind philosophy of trades. If he did that package for Lind as a one time-thing, fine. But, if he starts doing that with real assets like Will Smith, who someone mentioned above, that would be an awful move. So, I think I am on point.

I'd argue Lucroy is more valuable than Gomez and Fiers put together, or more valuable than Shelby Miller. We need a GM that goes down those paths of trades. It is do-able based on recent other trades. If Stearns is going to over-rate metrics and going to look for diamonds in the rough buried in someone's system over real projectable physical attributes and talent, then I'd rather he sit tight and not move consequence. I am not comfortable right now with the 30 year old kid holding real assets in his hand.

Right this is just a discussion board. Now that the Lind trade is done we need something new to talk about. That really is all this thread is about. We are not cheering on Stearns to rush to the next trade in the next hour.

You're making a strange assumption. Do you really think Stearns will trade Lucroy for 10 unknown 16 year olds or something?

You're making a strange assumption. Do you really think Stearns will trade Lucroy for 10 unknown 16 year olds or something?

Stearns is a bright guy when you hear him in interviews. He promises that everything is on the table with trades, meaning he is not purely an analytics guy. So, I hope you are right. I am a bit nervous with him. He is 30 years old, and smart. He knows he is smart. But there is also experience, which can trump pure intellect. I am a bit worried. This Lind deal seems to be based on analytics. I am not confident in Stearns trading major pieces like Will Smith, Peralta or Lucroy. Those are three guys I can sit around daydreaming about bringing back nice combined hauls that could help what this team looks like in 2017 or 2018. I am basing this on what we got for Gomie, and what Shelby Miller got and some other transactions. But I think Stearns is on a different path and it is freaking me out.

Stearns is a bright guy when you hear him in interviews. He promises that everything is on the table with trades, meaning he is not purely an analytics guy. So, I hope you are right. I am a bit nervous with him. He is 30 years old, and smart. He knows he is smart. But there is also experience, which can trump pure intellect. I am a bit worried. This Lind deal seems to be based on analytics. I am not confident in Stearns trading major pieces like Will Smith, Peralta or Lucroy. Those are three guys I can sit around daydreaming about bringing back nice combined hauls that could help what this team looks like in 2017 or 2018. I am basing this on what we got for Gomie, and what Shelby Miller got and some other transactions. But I think Stearns is on a different path and it is freaking me out.

You're projecting one situation on to another situation that hasn't happened yet. I can pretty much guarantee you that we'll get a good haul for Lucroy, and everyone can pin their hopes on the next young, great prospect hope or three that are ranked by Baseball America.

Peralta probably doesn't fetch too much more than Lind and Smith will get a decent return. With those guys, he may go rogue, he may not. He traded a young unknown in Sneed for a once-top 100 prospect Jonathan Villar. Take it on a case-by-case basis.

My vote is for Davis. We need to create a spot for Santana and Braun is likely not going anywhere for at least another year.

Yep, my guess too. Stearns actually seems to care about defense and Davis' little league arm in the OF is a major liability. Santana isn't a CF but he's not a bad defender. Moving Davis makes room for Santana in LF.

I'll guess Lucory. He has lots of value, and he's not in our long term plans.

True, however our young pitchers are and to have someone as valuable behind the plate mentoring the pitchers throughout the game is invaluable. I don't see Lucroy going anywhere this year to be honest. I would love to see him traded as his value is somewhat high right now, but the perks of having him behind the plate for one more year are too rich. Plus, he could have a monster season this year and increase his trade value even more.

I'd be reluctant to trade Lucroy without having another catcher prospect in place. Not only do we not have a good MLB catcher ready, our catching prospects leave a lot to be desired.

I have coveted Pentecost from Toronto or the kid from Baltimore, Cisco.

At 1b, I'd love to make a play for Kepler.

I don't think this is how Stearns sees it.

It's a matter of opinion with Lucroy, but I don't see a need to have another catcher in the system. There will be 30+ high draft picks, trades, signings, etc. to get a catcher by 2019. Maybe we draft our catcher of the future as an advanced player high in the 2017 draft, or maybe he comes in a trade from Khris Davis in 2017. Maybe we're competitive in 2019 we deal 2 prospects for Travis D'arnaud. So many possibilities.

In terms of the current veteran leadership he'd provide...I'd take the 2-3 stud prospects and just sign/trade for a veteran catcher. The Twins would probably give away Kurt Suzuki or I'm sure somebody like Ryan Hanigan is out there. I don't claim to know too much about leadership/defense/pitcher knowledge that a catcher can have, but we don't have to have a guy that is a very good hitter in this scenario to have a leader. It's very possible that Kurt Suzuki understands pitchers and works every bit as hard as Lucroy (for an example).

There are lots of managers that somehow always like to keep Jeff Mathis around even though he can't hit. Well, he's a free agent. Maybe he's a guru with young pitchers? I'd start Jeff Mathis and take the prospects from the Lucroy trade.

I'll guess Lucory. He has lots of value, and he's not in our long term plans.

True, however our young pitchers are and to have someone as valuable behind the plate mentoring the pitchers throughout the game is invaluable. I don't see Lucroy going anywhere this year to be honest. I would love to see him traded as his value is somewhat high right now, but the perks of having him behind the plate for one more year are too rich. Plus, he could have a monster season this year and increase his trade value even more.

First off how do we even know he is a good leader? It isn't like pitchers excel under him. I just don't see that argument. Brewers can go get a veteran off the scrap heap for $3mil if they insist on giving their pitchers a young catcher

Secondly two years is going to trump one year no matter what. From the "rival executives" source many around the league expect him to bounce back so I doubt his value has fallen much. Right now he is somewhat. a long term piece and next year he is just a one year rental. His value will never be higher than it is now.

And to anyone worried who our next catcher will be just remember 1.5 years ago our farm system was one of the worst in baseball and now it is one of the best.

Archived