Brewer Fanatic

Shelby Miller to the Arizona Diamondbacks

Lee16

Per twitter:

Confirmed @Ken_Rosenthal's report that the D-backs have acquired Shelby Miller from the #Braves pending a physical. Pollock is not included

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

They didn't even have to give up Pollock, who the Braves were "insisting" on. Sheesh.

GREAT trade for the D Backs. They had to give up Enciarte, but hopefully Thomas is all they hope he is. What a turnaround for that team and a legit contender now.

Think I just fainted when I heard the rest of the return...Swanson and Blair. WOW

[sarcasm]Guess Swanson can come over in a Lucroy trade now.[/sarcasm]

I know the Braves have been taking some heat for recent trades, but this one looks pretty decent for them. I live in Mesa, AZ, and even though I am not a Diamondbacks fan it amazes me to see how this team has turned it around, they might be one of the NL favorites next year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think this is a great trade for Atlanta. Swanson is a Top 10-20 prospect at a key defensive position. Top pick in the draft - lots of potential. College guy who should move quickly.

Miller is a good pitcher, but Atlanta is playing for 2018, and getting high upside guys like Swanson is what they need to do.

Dansby Swanson & Aaron Blair on top of Enciarte.... That's a pretty good haul for Braves. Greinke & Miller is going to look nice though for DBacks and they have depth at OF

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I am going to beat a dead horse here, but the scoreboard in two trades between the Braves and DBacks now...

[pre]Diamondbacks Braves

Philip Gosselin Bronson Arroyo's Salary

Shelby Miller Touki Toussaint

Ender Inciarte

Aaron Blair

Dansby Swanson[/pre]

I think we found at least one GM who isn't overvaluing his organizations prospect. Please get Dave Stewart on the phone before he unloads the rest of their system!

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The funny thing is they just had to unload Arroyo's salary and 6 months later they give $206 million to Greinke. Like, what are they doing? I give them credit for realizing that Greinke isn't enough but giving up a good prospect to unload salary only to give the highest AAV contract in baseball history 6 months later is ridiculous.

I am going to beat a dead horse here, but the scoreboard in two trades between the Braves and DBacks now...

[pre]Diamondbacks Braves

Philip Gosselin Bronson Arroyo's Salary

Shelby Miller Touki Toussaint

Ender Inciarte

Aaron Blair

Dansby Swanson[/pre]

I think we found at least one GM who isn't overvaluing his organizations prospect. Please get Dave Stewart on the phone before he unloads the rest of their system!

Also worth mentioning that they forfeit their 2016 1st round pick for the Greinke signing.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Escobar, Cain, Jeffress, Odorizzi for Grienke was a pretty package, this on has to be right up there. Blair at best will perform equally to Odorizzi. Cain I think is greater than Inciarte but he is still a very good ball player. Escobar/ Jeffress probably cancel out Dansby. Overall, man it at least interesting being a Braves fan right now. Not sure I love the all pitcher strategy they have had prior to this trade but they are aggressively rebuilding!

Hope Stearns gets a house clearing offer for Lucroy like this one..... Gallo, Ortiz, Morgan....here we come!!!

Atlanta really wants to bring back the 90's by building their own in house arm race....smart because once they fill out that rotation, the can unload rest of the log jam for bats. Miller is very talented, however by the time they are ready to compete, his 3 years will be up and he will be getting paid.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I'd say Miller is better than slightly above average. He's pretty darn good. And he comes cheap for three years.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Just awful for Arizona. A slightly above average pitcher for that package?

Good luck with that, guys.

Package is crazy high, but they got a pitcher they needed for financially cheap. As long as he posts a low 3ERA it should work out fine for them. If he has a bunch of 2014 season...well ouch.

I don't think Dave Stewart is very good at his job. Trading Toussaint in a salary dump that was pointless given the Greinke contract and now this? Wish Stearns could have made a trade with them before they got Miller.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

He doesn't profile to fit very well in that launching pad they play in. I'll be surprised if he's even average there. One of the worst trades in memory imo.

Guess we'll see, but sure seems like an incredible overpay to me.

I think they overpaid regardless, but if he is a decent #2 it might be worth it for them. I really feel like they could have gotten Jose Fernandez or added just a little more to get him with that package though. Why not just got all out?

Man if he resorts to being average what an awful trade that would be. Complete disaster...won't be able to judge this trade till he pitches and see where the D Backs go. If he pitches like a #2 and they win it all hard to be sad.

He doesn't profile to fit very well in that launching pad they play in. I'll be surprised if he's even average there. One of the worst trades in memory imo.

I think they overpaid regardless, but if he is a decent #2 it might be worth it for them. I really feel like they could have gotten Jose Fernandez or added just a little more to get him with that package though. Why not just got all out?

Man if he resorts to being average what an awful trade that would be. Complete disaster...won't be able to judge this trade till he pitches and see where the D Backs go. If he pitches like a #2 and they win it all hard to be sad.

clarkspencer ‏@clarkspencer 2h2 hours ago

Hearing that #Marlins had deal working with D-Backs: Jose Fernandez for Corbin, Swanson and 3 others -- until Zona landed Shelby Miller.

What about LuCroy for Pollock?

Why for both teams? They already have Castillo who's a good defensive catcher and was good with the bat in Arizona and we have less than zero need for a 28 year old outfielder with three years of control left.

clarkspencer ‏@clarkspencer 2h2 hours ago

Hearing that #Marlins had deal working with D-Backs: Jose Fernandez for Corbin, Swanson and 3 others -- until Zona landed Shelby Miller.

Wow I am pretty surprised they didn't make a deal work there. Corbin in it is a stinger, but Fernandez is way better than Miller...injury concerns...but still Fernandez is a legit elite pitcher.

Archived