Brewer Fanatic

Zobrist to Cubs, 4 years, $56 million

trwi7

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Four years is kind of crazy, but Zobrist is a nice fit in their line up. He's a patient hitter who will geton base. Cubs need that.

Defensive metrics were down last year on Zobrist. In the past, he has garnered a lot of value from his defense, so if that falters in the field (which wouldn't be a surprise for a guy in his mid-30s), he might have trouble earning his paycheck.

But good for Zobrist. I like the guy - plays hard, does a lot of the little things well.

Plus side: tremendous veteran leadership on a young team. Has played for Maddon before. Versatility plays into Maddon's style of managing in the NL. High OBP and a solid 2B as Addison Russell moves to SS

Negative Side: hard to imagine a 35 year old middle infielder holding up physically for the life of the 4 year contract

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

If I'm a Cubs fan I'm glad that Starlin Castro is gone. Drunk and immature is no way go through the major leagues. But I figured they would fill 2B with Javier Baez. I don't get expending 4/56 on a 35 year old when you have a premium young player already on the roster.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If I'm a Cubs fan I'm glad that Starlin Castro is gone. Drunk and immature is no way go through the major leagues. But I figured they would fill 2B with Javier Baez. I don't get expending 4/56 on a 35 year old when you have a premium young player already on the roster.

Don't be suprised if Baez is traded as well. Zobrist slides in at 2B full time.

Tampa was talking to the Cubs about Baez for pitching - so that might still be coming.

Archived