Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals trade Jon Jay for Padres' Jedd Gyorko

bill hAll Star

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The WARs might not play out for this theory, but I feel like the Cardinals win again, even if Gyorko doesn't really have a starting position in St. Louis.

Salary dump by SD. Gyorko is still owed $33M. Jay is due less than $7M and then is a FA.

Gyorko figures to be more of a utility guy (assuming Wong and Carpenter aren't dealt). Wong struggles against lefties, so I imagine Gyorko will get some PT there. He can back up 3B and SS as well.

A lot of money for a utility guy, so maybe another deal is coming.

Yes, it was a salary dump for San Diego who doesn't have a direction. I think Gyorko will basically always get starts at 3B or 2B against lefties. Heck, he even started playing a little SS last year.

I may have been overstating the Petco factor in my analysis. Gyroko isn't hitting that well anywhere. That said, I think they'll probably find a way to get that power potential out of him.

I feel like Gyorko is a Lawrie type personality. Too high the expectations, and not the right frame of mind to handle it. Suffer some injuries, don't live up anywhere near expectations. Very solid chance Gyorko's change of scenery propels him to his potential. This was the guy that was to take over for Chase Headley at 3b. Pushing him out as trade bait.

Gyorko just may be the highest power bat now on the Cardinals if given the PAs and reach 25-35HRs in the season. Vs soft hitting Jay and 7.5mil? Padres were robbed. The infield is set up well in case of any injury now. Though SS, I wouldn't count on for long term Peralta injury.

What will be the Padres Infield? Didn't they trade Alonzo too?

What will be the Padres Infield? Didn't they trade Alonzo too?

The Padres don't worry about things like that. Just get a bunch of OFs and stick them wherever you need someone. Sort of the beer league softball approach to team-building.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived