Brewer Fanatic

David Stearns wants to acquire a CF

MrTPlush
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can bury your head in all the analytics you want but watch a game once in a while

Stop.

Oh, ok. Anyone who builds a team solely based on analytics is going to lose same as anyone who builds it solely based on what they see. It's fine line and both must be used

He's literally had 3 good months the past 2 seasons.

Davis has had monthly OPS splits of .683, .914, .799, .734, .758, .579, .699, .865, .620, .867 & .937 the last two seasons. With the average LF producing an OPS of .720 in 2014 & .730 in 2015 I'd say that's 4 good months, 3 better than average months and 4 below average months.

Cheery picking stats again like some on here. Why choose OPS instead of OBP? Probably because all Davis does is hit HRs hence his SLG making his offensive production appear much better and more consistent than it is. his HR/rbi total over the past 2 seasons are dominated by 3 months. Prior the the final 2 months last year he was awful

He's literally had 3 good months the past 2 seasons.

Davis has had monthly OPS splits of .683, .914, .799, .734, .758, .579, .699, .865, .620, .867 & .937 the last two seasons. With the average LF producing an OPS of .720 in 2014 & .730 in 2015 I'd say that's 4 good months, 3 better than average months and 4 below average months.

Cheery picking stats again like some on here. Why choose OPS instead of OBP? Probably because all Davis does is hit HRs hence his SLG making his offensive production appear much better and more consistent than it is. his HR/rbi total over the past 2 seasons are dominated by 3 months. Prior the the final 2 months last year he was awful

You do know that OPS includes OBP?

You can bury your head in all the analytics you want but watch a game once in a while

Stop.

Oh, ok. Anyone who builds a team solely based on analytics is going to lose same as anyone who builds it solely based on what they see. It's fine line and both must be used

I think most people here agree with that. You seem to be on a mission to be as condescending as possible in an effort to call out people who quote stats. You can stop, or you can go.

Why choose OPS instead of OBP?

OBP is a great stat, and it's an important skill for a hitter, but it misses out on extra base hits. For the kind of illustration that sveumrules needed to provide, extra base hits should be included. While OPS doesn't give enough weight to OBP, it often comes close enough to being reasonably accurate. Plus, it offers convenience and familiarity.

The question that came up involved good months vs. bad months. For monthly splits, you're best off with a rate stat. OPS is an appropriate way to illustrate that. It's to the point, and it's not as cumbersome to read as a string of slash stat splits. If you're comparing two players with similar OPSes, you might be forced to use slash stats, or you could use one of the more advanced rate stats.

There are definitely times when people cherry pick around here, and there are times when they don't necessarily choose the best stat to illustrate a point, but this isn't one of those cases.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

OBP & OPS are starting to seem a little outdated. OBP assumes that a single is as valuable as a Triple. Slugging Percentage corrects for that, but OPS is weighted too heavily in the slugging department. I prefer wOBA and wRC+
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Seems he acquired his CF?

I still think they'll bring in a veteran like Will Venable on a one year deal. Venable has had great success in Miller Park: .352/.398/.604 and he won't cost a whole lot.

Played well at places like STL, PIT, and CIN as well.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Seems he acquired his CF?

I still think they'll bring in a veteran like Will Venable on a one year deal. Venable has had great success in Miller Park: .352/.398/.604 and he won't cost a whole lot.

Played well at places like STL, PIT, and CIN as well.

They'll have to convince a guy like Venable (or any other veteran) that their best chance to get to the postseason is to put up decent numbers playing a lot for a team like Brewers, and then get traded to a contender in July or August.

• 2 weeks later...
Why hasn't someone signed Dexter Fowler? I know his year wasn't superb last year but his overall career numbers look good for a switch hitting CF. Could he be had for cheaper than market and fill our need?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Probably because they need to give up a draft pick to sign him, not sure how many teams are willing to do that, definitely not the brewers

Did not realize this. Yeah that one kills any deal.

MLB Traderumors speculates that Braves would be willing to eat half of Bourn's remaining contract (Cleveland is already paying some of it) bringing his price down to range of $4.5-5 million. I still think that Bourn is an option worth exploring at that price. If he bounces back some, he could be moved at that price rather easily.

Michael Boutn would be a huge money pit with no upside. Even at the peak of his career his offense was average at best. Most of his value was in base stealing and defense...two things he no longer possess. No upside...and not even close to $5mil upside.

Getting another RH bat to replace Lind at first to me heightens the need to find a LH bat for CF. Seeing what the Brewers seem willing to pay for a veteran, Venable (who's cost figures to be around the same as Carter) would seem to be the logical guy now, as he's got enough pop in his bat to consider sticking in their order somewhere to mix things up and let Broxton or Santana ease in playing mostly against LHP. EY Jr, and Chris Presley don't really do it for me as realistic CF option.

While they've signed or traded for some bodies that can play CF: Broxton, Niewenhuis, Eric Young Jr., Alex Presley. I don't see one that you look at and go, yeah he's a guy that can be plugged in CF as a stopgap and may even have some trade value down the line.

Now I don't expect the Brewers to surrender a draft pick and go after Fowler for instance. But the Rockies are reportedly eyeing Parra and that might make Charlie Blackmon available. Now Blackmon's splits are typical for Rockies' players. Great at home. Very mediocre on the road. That limits what the Rockies can get for him in a deal certainly and you wouldn't want to overpay. I'm of the opinion once he's out of Coors his numbers away from Coors should get better. Not to the point where he's an .800 OPS guy but better than what Counsell has to work with now, and a guy who if he proves he can hit away from Coors could become valuable as trade piece when it's time to make room for Phillips.

While they've signed or traded for some bodies that can play CF: Broxton, Niewenhuis, Eric Young Jr., Alex Presley. I don't see one that you look at and go, yeah he's a guy that can be plugged in CF as a stopgap and may even have some trade value down the line.

Now I don't expect the Brewers to surrender a draft pick and go after Fowler for instance. But the Rockies are reportedly eyeing Parra and that might make Charlie Blackmon available. Now Blackmon's splits are typical for Rockies' players. Great at home. Very mediocre on the road. That limits what the Rockies can get for him in a deal certainly and you wouldn't want to overpay. I'm of the opinion once he's out of Coors his numbers away from Coors should get better. Not to the point where he's an .800 OPS guy but better than what Counsell has to work with now, and a guy who if he proves he can hit away from Coors could become valuable as trade piece when it's time to make room for Phillips.

From the things I've seen, Phillips is just too close to being on this team to make a trade/move like this. Giving up anything right now for a position we can fill with someone who if given a shot, could be a diamond in the rough, would not be a great move for a team not looking to compete.

I think we are in pretty good shape for CF as of now. I am much higher on Niewenhuis than most people but I think he fits the mold of a 27/28 year old guy who given the chance can be a very productive player. Like many guys throughout baseball history have struggled or never really got many opportunities to play regularly until 27-28 (which is when a player begins to enter their prime as well) then they take off. We hit on 2 29/30 year olds in Scott Po & Brady Clark who were nobodies before they got their chance. Your Jay Bruhner and Burntiz's are all over baseball. Now if the Brewers are planning to compete for division against Cubs, Cards, Pirates...then I wouldn't be so willing to hope one of these guys produce but with where we are as a franchise, one of those 4 guys you would think could at least be productive.

Niewenhuis is a 6'3 225 guy who can move an play excellent defense in all three spots. His bat I think will be a .250 ave with .330 OBP .720 OPS. I will gladly take that.

Broxton is your typical uber athletic, late bloomer with tools for days. Maybe he is ready, maybe he is not, but definitely a guy I'd take a good look at.

Pressley is 30 and he is serviceable. He will give you a higher .600 OPS. Not much for getting on base though. Okay bench option

EY Jr. is a good bench guy to have around. Good fielder who can fly. His bat has never really came along enough for him to stick but he has value to the team. He isn't much of a starter I don't think unless something finally clicks for him with the bat.

Overall Niewenhius & Broxton are the two guys I am looking at to possibly take the reins until Maverick Phillips is ready to go.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

So you want to trade assets for a guy you only want around to marginally improve a bad team. Then trade him for less assets than what you gave up to get him. Probably a lot less.

That just makes no sense for a rebuilding team. Charlie Blackmon has no upside potential to the Brewers.

Blackmon's splits are typical for Rockies' players. Great at home. Very mediocre on the road. That limits what the Rockies can get for him in a deal certainly and you wouldn't want to overpay. I'm of the opinion once he's out of Coors his numbers away from Coors should get better.

How exactly are you drawing the conclusion his stats will get better away from Coors if the stats say otherwise? Didn't we have this same thinking behind Jeffrey Hammonds back in the day? To me, trying to import Coors Field offense is dangerous.

Archived