Brewer Fanatic

David Stearns wants to acquire a CF

MrTPlush
Whoa, hold on there Clancy! I hope you don't actually believe that Braun should have stayed at third base. He was absolutely atrocious there defensively. That revolving door of third baseman did have a couple of all stars by the way, so I think it was for the best.

He does. Don't even bother responding to his Braun at 3B obsession.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Santans is not very good in CF. Hecisnt slow but he doesn't make good reads, isn't a great athlete, really opens up the gaps for the offense. He makes the plays that he should, doesn't make much more than that.....

Braun to 3B is as realistic as Brent Suter being our #2 prospect..... We tried Braun there, could have played a little leaguer there and been better off. However if Santana is good enough to be everyday CF....mid as well make your defense even worse with Braun at 3B. We all know bar is all that matters

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Santanas is not very good in CF. Hecisnt slow but he doesn't make good reads, isn't a great athlete, really opens up the gaps for the offense. He makes the plays that he should, doesn't make much more than that.....

Braun to 3B is as realistic as Brent Suter being our #2 prospect..... We tried Braun there, could have played a little leaguer there and been better off. However if Santana is good enough to be everyday CF....mid as well make your defense even worse with Braun at 3B. We all know bar is all that matters

This is coming from the guy who wants Braun at 3B mind you.

Whoa, hold on there Clancy! I hope you don't actually believe that Braun should have stayed at third base. He was absolutely atrocious there defensively. That revolving door of third baseman did have a couple of all stars by the way, so I think it was for the best.

Nice... now how about addressing my objections to giving up assets that could be used for either plus bats or pitching prospects for a short-term "fix" for a CF position that is not broken, particularly when there is a possible short-term option in the form of Michael Reed that is already on the 40-man roster?

And my only mention of Braun and third base was to note that moving Santana from center field was the same kind of mistake the Brewers made about eight years ago with Braun.

Doesn't matter if your going to lose 120 games. You still at least try to field a real team. Domingo is not good in CF. At least give our pitchers a chance to succeed with a reasonable defense. Really its like taking a career 3b and telling him to be your new SS. Who knows how much more time Maverick Phillips will need to be ready. Could be June, September, or next April. Need at least one person who can play CF til then

Phillips is our guy by at the latest 2017. So what is one year worth of a stop gap CF to us especially if it means we are going to lose 100 games AND not give Santana ABs?

Why not just use someone in our own system like Kyle Wren to bridge the 2016 gap to Brett Phillips? He's already 24 years old with over a half season at AAA.

Wasting any money on the likes of Austin Jackson on this non-contending team seems pretty silly, IMHO.

Doesn't matter if your going to lose 120 games. You still at least try to field a real team. Domingo is not good in CF. At least give our pitchers a chance to succeed with a reasonable defense. Really its like taking a career 3b and telling him to be your new SS. Who knows how much more time Maverick Phillips will need to be ready. Could be June, September, or next April. Need at least one person who can play CF til then

Phillips is our guy by at the latest 2017. So what is one year worth of a stop gap CF to us especially if it means we are going to lose 100 games AND not give Santana ABs?

Especially if getting that stop-gap CF means that the Brewers are trading for him. If you want a one-year stopgap, see what Michael Reed can do in center for that year. Reed's already on the 40-man roster, and I'd argue that he's earned a chance for the job with his performance over the last couple of years in the minors.

If the Brewers are going to have a down year in 2016, why waste trade assets on stop-gaps? The Brewers are much better off going for in-house stopgaps, and saving the trade assets (Davis, Lucroy, Lind, Peralta, Nelson) for the purpose of getting prospects who can be plus bats or #1/#2 starters.

But that's my opinion.

Why not just use someone in our own system like Kyle Wren to bridge the 2016 gap to Brett Phillips? He's already 24 years old with over a half season at AAA.

Wasting any money on the likes of Austin Jackson on this non-contending team seems pretty silly, IMHO.

I would agree with you if we were doing a rebuild a few years ago when there was no limit on how much you could spend in the draft and international free agency. However, with the rule changes teams have to be more creative in how they acquire young controllable talent and that includes signing short team FA's and moving them at the deadline.

@WiscoSportsNut

Nice... now how about addressing my objections to giving up assets that could be used for either plus bats or pitching prospects for a short-term "fix" for a CF position that is not broken, particularly when there is a possible short-term option in the form of Michael Reed that is already on the 40-man roster?

And my only mention of Braun and third base was to note that moving Santana from center field was the same kind of mistake the Brewers made about eight years ago with Braun.

No one is suggesting we give up assets for a stop gap CF. I think Stearns is referring to signing someone like Austin Jackson or Rajai Davis to a one or two year deal until Phillips or Taylor is ready to step in. I also prefer letting Reed or Wren have first shot at CF but signing someone like Davis would provide us with a solid 4th OF just in case one of our young guys struggles. As for Santana, I'm on board for trading Davis. His HR totals are going to make him expensive when he hits arbitration in 2017 and I believe Stearns is wanting to go with a more athletic and better defensive OF. Move Braun back to LF and slot Santana in RF where his arm plays up.

Honestly, I don't really have a problem with using in house options to cover center until Phillips is ready. I really don't think anyone is advocating trading away anything of value to get a Stopgap centerfielder. Reed and Santana are just fine with me.

And moving Braun to the outfield was most certainly not a mistake.

Great bat, decent defensive LF> Great bat, absolutely terrible defensive 3B

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Since he is from Houston I imagine Teoscar Hernandez is a strong candidate to be selected on Thursday. Wouldn't be able to hit but could field and steal some bases.

Brewcrewballtargeted him has the number 1 Rule 5 option. It would make sense since:

1) It would be a low cost option

2) DS knows him from Houston

3) That doesn't preclude them from using any other CF option. He just competes with them.

Think it depends. If you are trading for a possible young Parra who can start and be good in CF, play all 3 positions, and be a good #4 OF. That is not a bad trade. If Thompson or Powell look ready for MLB, both profile more as a 4th OF with upside down the road. I have no problem bring them in and helping team now. Once Phillips is ready, they slide to the Parra role. Give you a solid offensive and defensive option at all three spots

Think it depends. If you are trading for a possible young Parra who can start and be good in CF, play all 3 positions, and be a good #4 OF. That is not a bad trade. If Thompson or Powell look ready for MLB, both profile more as a 4th OF with upside down the road. I have no problem bring them in and helping team now. Once Phillips is ready, they slide to the Parra role. Give you a solid offensive and defensive option at all three spots

But don't the Brewers already have Michael Reed, who could be pretty much that player, and who has the added benefit of already being on the 40-man roster?

But don't the Brewers already have Michael Reed, who could be pretty much that player, and who has the added benefit of already being on the 40-man roster?

My feelings on CF. Santana and Reed combo. This Stearns want scares me because he's not sounding like he's going to accept a 70win type season this year. And ignoring the Reed, Taylor, Phillips within the organization to place in CF during this time of roughly 70wins. Hey lets add 4 wins, trade away one of our young assets and get a CF you desire? So is Stearns really the GM or Melvin? with his "other named title"

My feelings on CF. Santana and Reed combo. This Stearns want scares me because he's not sounding like he's going to accept a 70win type season this year. And ignoring the Reed, Taylor, Phillips within the organization to place in CF during this time of roughly 70wins. Hey lets add 4 wins, trade away one of our young assets and get a CF you desire? So is Stearns really the GM or Melvin? with his "other named title"

None of the moves so far this season are in the mold of Melvin. Stearns is clearly running the show.

The only thing David Stearns has shown so far is that defense won't be completely ignored. Nothing he has done suggests he's trying to piece together an 80 win team. Geebus, the inability to have any patience before drawing conclusions is reaching pandemic proportions among Wisconsin sports fans.

I would think part of the reason Stearns would want a "true" CF is that playing Santana out of position probably doesn't give him his best chance to be successful. If he's a good corner and is comfortable there, that's where he should play, unless it's spot duty as he did last season.

And I don't get the angst about what Stearns might give up for said CF, he really doesn't have to give up anything except money and a roster spot.

Regarding the brief discussion about playing guys out of position (Braun at 3B, Santana in CF), I think the two World Series teams showed that the ability to turn batted balls into outs is really important. Of the 10 playoff teams, only 2 (Pitt, Yankees) were below #16 in defensive efficiency. The 2015 Brewers were 25th. Clearly Stearns thinks the quickest way to improve the team is to improve the defense.

I really fail to understand how it appears that DM is in control? All of his moves so far have been for DS's own type of players who are versatile and get on-base. He has yet to make a trade at the winter meetings. I don't get why it is so hard to understand why a GM would want to bring in someone who can play CF or 3B? Short term, long term...doesn't matter. If you want him to turn us into the 76ers and put no effort into constructing a real baseball team because we have Michael Reed who has like 8 big league at bats and wasn't that great in AAA, almost never has played CF. Wren who wasn't all that great in AAA. Phillips who has 3-4 months of AA ball under belt.

There are guys you can get that you barely have to give up an assets for....we got Villar for a non asset in Sneed. Doesn't have to be a super star, just someone has ability to be an okay hitter who will play good defense for us, until someone proves they are ready to compete for a job. Santana is not a real option in CF for any GM or Manager who cares about putting a reasonable defense on the field. Santana in CF will open up the middle so much for offenses. Gaps will get big and be hit a lot by opposing teams. RF he is solid, he makes plays he needs to, is good enough athlete there. CF Kotsay is arguably better option.

Let guys develop. Don't just grab them and pull them up because we are rebuilding anyways.....that is not how you develop prospects

Until Santana, Davis, or Braun are traded or its announced that Brauns moving to 1B (even that has a prerequisite of trading Lind) what happens? Have Santana in the minors or bench so some Craig Gentry trash can take up space and make the pitchers feel better about themselves?

Until Santana, Davis, or Braun are traded or its announced that Brauns moving to 1B (even that has a prerequisite of trading Lind) what happens? Have Santana in the minors or bench so some Craig Gentry trash can take up space and make the pitchers feel better about themselves?

If DS has Domingo Santana in his plans, he will make room for him to play outside of CF. Has anyone listen to anytime he answers a question about Domingo in CF? He sounds as optimistic about that as the Brewers winning a title this year. He will instantly say he is a RF then all but say he will not be in CF.

DS will make trades to make the roster he feel is best for the team now and in the future. If he doesn't make room for Santana it is pretty clear he is not in the plans and is a trading piece.

I can't see them making a trade for a long term guy. Don't see them opening the wallet for someone like Span or Jackson either. I'm guessing that we will see a someone like Jordan Schafer picked up as a NRI to compete with the internal candidates (Santana, Reed) as a placeholder.... Hopefully Phillips will be ready in a year or two.

Archived