Brewer Fanatic

David Stearns wants to acquire a CF

MrTPlush

Rumor has it that Stearns wants to get a CF by trade/FA for the short term.

I find it a bit interesting because that leaves Domingo Santana without a spot. Yes I understand he isn't a true CF, but he was competent out there and I thought they would give him the chance at getting full playing time. Did they mention a plan for Santana that I missed? Or is it possibly his defensive play in the fall league? Heard he was racking up errors out in RF.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully if a CF is acquired Davis is on the move.

I thought that too, but something tells me it has more to do with playing a non true CFer out there or his horrid defense he has so far shown in the fall league.

EDIT: Also saw Brewers have interest in Jeff Francoeur too which is head scratching in itself. That would leave us with two OFers who can't play CF on the bench plus this mystery guy to play CF. No way all those players fit on the team.

Would anyone put it past a new GM like Stearns to come in and trade Braun? That would be a bold screw you I want my own guys type move.

Regarding Braun moving to first...we have wanted that for years I won't think that until someone comes out and says it.

I think this suggests Braun to 1b may be likely.

That would be the most logical thing. Especially since Santana is a better RF than him and Davis, despite a muffin of an arm, can't hack 1B.

How dare you insult muffins.

Rumor has it that Stearns wants to get a CF by trade/FA for the short term.

I find it a bit interesting because that leaves Domingo Santana without a spot. Yes I understand he isn't a true CF, but he was competent out there and I thought they would give him the chance at getting full playing time. Did they mention a plan for Santana that I missed? Or is it possibly his defensive play in the fall league? Heard he was racking up errors out in RF.

He's also racking up strikeouts in winter ball. They are likely thinking twice about him as an everyday player at a challenging position.

I think this suggests Braun to 1b may be likely.

That would be the most logical thing. Especially since Santana is a better RF than him and Davis, despite a muffin of an arm, can't hack 1B.

How dare you insult muffins.

Ha true! I should be more specific- a gross healthy Bran muffin

I'm thinking Stearns isn't seeing Santana as his type of player. With all his strikeouts he wore out his welcome in Houston. Santana is a Melvin type player, not (likely) a Stearns player. And at any rate he really isn't a CF anyways
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm thinking Stearns isn't seeing Santana as his type of player. With all his strikeouts he wore out his welcome in Houston. Santana is a Melvin type player, not (likely) a Stearns player. And at any rate he really isn't a CF anyways

He was part of the brain trust that did trade him away. It wouldn't shock me if the Brewers turned around and traded him too. He's got value for sure and not every asset you deal has to be a veteran.

Then trying to trade for Joey Gallo wouldn't make much sense would it?

He wore out his welcome in Houston? He had like 37 ABs. He played well last year for us. Let's not panic over awful Winterball.

Big issue is Santana is not a CF. plain & simple. We have no one else who is MLB ready at CF. DS cares at all about defense, a CF is needed. I don't believe it's because he is against Santana, Davis, Braun or anything....he just has a mind that understands the benefits to a roster of having an actual CF on the roster.

Yeah if Santana Ks too much for DS, Gallo's should never be mentioned again for a trade to Brewers. We have to remember Santana will be 23 almost the whole season next year.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I don't think Santana's K numbers are that bad. He makes up for it with very good OBP skills that he has shown his entire professional career even in his first tastes of MLB action.

Why would anyone want to trade a player who has held his own to start his career, was a top prospect before the season, and has .270/.370/.800 potential. That is the kind of player you hold onto. As long as we don't surround him with other high K players we should be just fine. Has the potential to be a very good #5 hitter or maybe higher if you are OK putting the power at the top of the order for his OBP skills(assuming he improves his average with experience). Corey Hart is a pretty good comp minus some power, but added OBP skills.

The team needs to have a true defensive CF if they want to see guys like Garza and Peralta regain any of their value.

Nice thought...but the game is so analytical these days teams will buy into a player advanced stats and the eye test. Jonathan Broxton was straight garbage here, but the Cards still took him because his peripherals were still good and advanced metrics said he was having bad luck.

Ideally though good stats in general is probably a better goal. More than possible he doesn'tt want a guy hacking it in CF all year, but you gotta think they figure out something to get Santana in the line-up.

With the team not going to leap StL, Pitt, or Chi, I can't imagine why it would matter who our CF is until Phillips is ready.

If they don't want to start Santana there, and I see no reason why not (just to get him ABs), this should be a very minor acquisition.

Looking at teams, I'm targeting younger controllable guys who have chance to be average to above average CFs but are not maybe considered building blocks for future. Really keep seat warm for Maverick. They perform, they are good controllable trade pieces or Parra type 4th OFs.

Pillar or Pompey (whoever they feel is not there future from Toronto

Bogg Powell -Seattle. if they feel he is MLB ready

Padres -Travis Jankowski

White Sox- Trayce Thompson ( I know his bro said he thanks god every morning he wasn't drafted by the Bucks but I think Thompson could be a real nice stop gap, future 4th OF

Yankees- Aaron Hicks (buried on depth chart) worth his upside has late bloomer

Cards- Tommy Pham

Doesn't matter if your going to lose 120 games. You still at least try to field a real team. Domingo is not good in CF. At least give our pitchers a chance to succeed with a reasonable defense. Really its like taking a career 3b and telling him to be your new SS. Who knows how much more time Maverick Phillips will need to be ready. Could be June, September, or next April. Need at least one person who can play CF til then

It also can't help a guy's development to play him out of position, can it? Domingo has a chance to be a plus offensive player. Why would you set him up to fail offensively, thus making it harder for him to focus on reaching his offensive potential?

Also, maybe I've just spent too long watching Doug M lie to the press (I mean that in the best possible way), but I don't think Stearns would broadcast his interest in acquiring a cf if he saw it as a big-resource move, or something that would tip his hand. The whole world knows we don't have a true cf, and obviously (I assume) we aren't going to trade a valuable asset for some 32 year-old, two-win cf.

I think they've either decided already to move Braun to 1b, or they're waiting to see what close-to-ready talent a BPA trading approach nets them over the next month. If one of the best assets they can get is a MLB-ready 1b, or if somebody makes trading Davis worth their while, then great. If, as seems likelier, not, then announce Braun to 1b once the dust has settled.

Doesn't matter if your going to lose 120 games. You still at least try to field a real team. Domingo is not good in CF. At least give our pitchers a chance to succeed with a reasonable defense. Really its like taking a career 3b and telling him to be your new SS. Who knows how much more time Maverick Phillips will need to be ready. Could be June, September, or next April. Need at least one person who can play CF til then

Santana's a plus bat for a CF, probably profiling like Khris Davis, maybe a bit better. His defense is not bad there. Certainly decent enough that his bat more than makes up for it. I would argue that center field is NOT broke, and does not need an urgent fix. Certainly not if the Brewers have to TRADE assets for a short-term fix. Now, Michael Reed might be an in-house interim option if Santana's really that bad in center, but looking at Domingo's numbers, I don't think that is the case, especially given the offensive potential. Pitchers will have confidence if they know the offense can rack up a bunch of runs.

Trading assets for a short-term fix at CF is making the same darn mistake the Brewers made by moving Braun from third after 2007. Braun was a mega-plus bat at third, had just won Rookie of the Year, and they moved him and got a revolving door of Bill Hall, Casey McGehee, Aramis Ramirez and company rather than just saying, "we got our third baseman for the next five years - or more, if we can extend him." How'd that work out for the Crew? I'd argue not as well as keeping Braun at third would have.

If the Brewers are gonna trade assets, get either plus bats or #1/#2 type starters. Not a short-term fix when there are at least two in-house options (Santana and Reed).

Whoa, hold on there Clancy! I hope you don't actually believe that Braun should have stayed at third base. He was absolutely atrocious there defensively. That revolving door of third baseman did have a couple of all stars by the way, so I think it was for the best.

Austin Jackson might make some sense as long as he's willing to take a 1-2 year deal. Maybe catch trade asset lightning in a bottle of he happens to figure it out for 3-4 months.

I believe this is the move that will be made for a CF.

Archived