Brewer Fanatic

Marcell Ozuna

Pure speculation on my part but with Stearns' mention of looking for a short-term CF, I could see Marcell Ozuna being a player the Brewers trade for. He's entering his age 25 season, won't be a free agent until 2020 and is a talented ballplayer.

Both Lucroy & Lind fit a position of need in Miami

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

[sarcasm]Great another player we can burn prospects on just so they can hit free agency when we are competent again! He will fit right in with Puig and Fernandez.[/sarcasm]

Though it makes even less sense when you label him as a short term CF...though we will let that pass because he isn't. Still not controllable long enough to make sense for the Brewers.

[sarcasm]Great another player we can burn prospects on just so they can hit free agency when we are competent again! He will fit right in with Puig and Fernandez.[/sarcasm]

You missed my point. Ozuna as part of the return plus prospects for Lucroy

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Isn't Ozuna being forced out because the staff & organization want his poisoning personality out of the locker room or something like that. Talked kid. Could really click later like Gomez but if he is lazy or bad team (whatever the big issue is) we don't need those guys separating the team during the rebuild. Need great attitude leaders

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

You missed my point. Ozuna as part of the return plus prospects for Lucroy

I saw it, but Ozuna would be a huge chunk of the return on trading Lucroy. By trading for Ozuna you are really pushing to contend earlier than what really should be the goal. Because if you don't end up competing with him or he doesn't put up 2014 numbers the Brewers are going to look really dumb and possibly set us back. I think it is too early for the Brewers to start looking at guys who have already burned up multiple years of service time.

If he's controlled until 2020 then how's he short term?

There'd be nothing to stop him from being traded before 2020. If he's performing, what's left of his controllable years would be valuable to a trading partner, just as it'd be valuable to the Brewers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

There'd be nothing to stop him from being traded before 2020. If he's performing, what's left of his controllable years would be valuable to a trading partner, just as it'd be valuable to the Brewers.

It's not like they couldn't trade Phillips for a nice return either if Ozuna becomes a star you want to keep around. Stearns seems focused on acquiring talent at prime positions because the excess guys can always be used to fill holes elsewhere.

Being a Partial Miami resident I have seen him play. He had himself a season 2seasons ago. Not this season. I don't like him at all. He's not special in the CF. 10SBs .311OB over his 3year career.... That isn't my type of CF I'm building. Why in a position you'd expect speed on the basepaths is this guy netting a 3.33SB avg per season? If he can't steal 20 in a season, I don't like his odds of covering a lot of field defensively. There's a reason Miami wants to rid of him, because his value is only going to decrease with each month he plays in the field. It'd be like suggesting Segura is a valuable SS.

No way no how do not get this kid as a CF. Michael Reed will possess more talent to play CF moving forward than Ozuna.

It's not like they couldn't trade Phillips for a nice return either if Ozuna becomes a star you want to keep around. Stearns seems focused on acquiring talent at prime positions because the excess guys can always be used to fill holes elsewhere.

Brett Phillips is left handed. For a team that lacks left handed bats so badly now and in the past I can't fathom thinking about trading him. I would probably drop kick my computer if we did that.

Archived