Brewer Fanatic

OF Daniel Fields claimed by Dodgers (eventually White Sox); LHP Mike Strong claimed by Marlins (eventually Twins)

And That

Never really liked the Fields claim all that much so fine with him being gone, could have been filler at AAA but have Phillips, Reed, Wren probably starting there. Strong had a rough going in AAA but would have liked him to remain with the Brewers, especially with the number of open spaces on the 40 man.

The Strong thing seems kind of odd. If they liked him enough after the AFL to add him, then why DFA him? Does it suggest they didn't really like him all that much, or could something have happened to change their minds, or might they for some reason have promised to put him through waivers rather than just exposing him to Rule 5?

Not sorry to see Fields go. As Outlander suggests, we've got a bunch of guys who make him redundant.

You have to think we'll have a bunch of new players this time next week. Fun!

I'm guessing on Strong that there was just a change in opinion on him with the new regime. It could have been that Nichols or Melvin or Ash really liked Strong, and that's what kept him protected. Also could be that they still liked him, but feel as though they can improve on the level of talent he brought to the organization in the coming days.

But they don't have to have space available before the move do they? If they trade Lind tomorrow for 8 guys we could still DFA 3 guys before the move is announced.

Thats what I always thought. I don't know of any special cases where that wasn't the case. Unless whether they get claimed or outrighted to the minors effects something to him. Maybe if Strong went through waivers they would have interest in a lefty rule 5 pick, but now they do see they lost him.

Yah I don't know....I am in the same boat as you.

They apparently didn't think he was adding value to the 40-man roster, or at least wasn't adding enough value that couldn't be replaced elsewhere, so why keep him around a few more days if they decided he wasn't in their plans? Pointless for him, and pointless for the club. Teams don't get bonus points for keeping the 40-man roster full as long as possible.

The Strong thing seems kind of odd. If they liked him enough after the AFL to add him, then why DFA him? Does it suggest they didn't really like him all that much, or could something have happened to change their minds, or might they for some reason have promised to put him through waivers rather than just exposing him to Rule 5?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but you write that as if he was just added after the 2015 fall season. He was added after the 2014 season.

Strong has two options left, Fields one. While that's appealing, Strong just turned 27, so perhaps the Brewers thought Mike might pass just based on age. Great new opportunity for him in Miami.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived